Most Overrated Album Of The 80s

Tommy Walker

Reaction score
I would say that Bruce Springsteen's "Born In The USA" was very overrated. Or at least compared to his 70s output. I'd personally choose "Born To Run" over "USA" anyday.

Also, I actually found Michael Jackson's "Thriller" to be not all that it promised. Sure it's got "Billie Jean" and "Beat It" but that's about it. His 70s album, "Off The Wall" was actually better.

Totally agree on Thriller, totally disagree on Born in the USA. No, it doesn't beat Born to Run, but not much does. I consider Born in the USA to be the second best Boss album. I've never quite understood why Springsteen purists pawn it off as garbage just because it lacks an eight or nine minute epic and it spawned a few more radio hits than his previous albums. Good music is good music. I'm Goin' Down, Darlington County, Working on the Highway, and Glory Days all qualify.

Tommy Walker

Reaction score
Those Slaughter, Harem Scarem or Twisted Sister should have earned more laurels than those, that went to G'n'R.

Like GnR or not, you can't actually believe that, can you? Not even the same ballpark. GnR probably accomplished more on one album than those three bands' entire catalogues combined.

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
Tommy Walker, and I don't agree, absolutely!icon_gun57.gif I believe that Twisted Sister's "Stay Hungry" and "Under the Blade", Europe's "The Final Countdown" or "Prisoners In Paradise", Slaughter's "The Wild Life" or "Fear No Evil", Harem Scarem's "Mood Swings" - is much better, than any album by G'n'R. And nothing will never be persuaded me of this - I believe my ears.2_sm5.gif

ANF

Reaction score
Totally agree on Thriller, totally disagree on Born in the USA. No, it doesn't beat Born to Run, but not much does. I consider Born in the USA to be the second best Boss album. I've never quite understood why Springsteen purists pawn it off as garbage just because it lacks an eight or nine minute epic and it spawned a few more radio hits than his previous albums. Good music is good music. I'm Goin' Down, Darlington County, Working on the Highway, and Glory Days all qualify.

I love Thriller, but it's not what the reply is about.

I agree 100% on Born In The USA. I think a lot of people hate it because suddenly *their* Boss belonged to the world. It isn't as great as Born To Run and it isn't as deep as Nebraska, but if Bruce did in fact "sell out to pop" like some say he did with that album... what better era to sell your soul to pop music than the 1980's? :D The whole album is great. Commercial isn't necessarily a bad thing and it deserved to sell 15 million in the US like it did.

River

Is everybody in?
Reaction score
Born in the USA - Bruce Springsteen
Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits
Thriller - Michael Jackson
True Blue - Madonna
No Jacket Required - Phil Collins
Graceland - Paul Simon
Hysteria - Def Leppard
Tango in the Night - Fleetwood Mac
Once Upon a Time - Simple Minds
Lets Dance - David Bowie

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
I disagree with those that said Born In The USA. As mentioned, many songs on that album are great...No Surrender, Bobby Jean, Cover Me. Just because an album is commercially successful doesn't make it overrated. I also disagree with New Jersey, Back In Black and Hysteria. These are some of my favorites.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Members online