Most Overrated Album Of The 80s

Aero

Reaction score
Like A Virgin - Madonna

220px-LikeAVirgin1984.png

It's got 2 decent songs on it and they aren't even her best work. The hits on her first album (Holiday, Borderline) hold up better today compared to Like A Virgin and Material Girl which have only gotten worse with age.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
The only album I have in my possession from the 80s which I will put into this category:

Push_%28Bros_album%29_cover.jpg

and yes it didn't do a great deal of damage on the US charts, but everywhere else it was doing damage:

• Australian ARIA Albums Chart - 4
  • Austrian Albums Chart - 14
  • Dutch Albums Chart - 32
  • European Albums Chart - 6
  • Finnish Albums Chart - 7
  • French Albums Chart - 22
  • German Albums Chart - 6
  • Irish Albums Chart - 1?
  • Italian Albums Chart - 7
  • New Zealand RIANZ Albums Chart - 1
  • Norwegian Albums Chart - 6
  • Swedish Albums Chart - 29
  • Swiss Albums Chart - 3
  • UK Albums Chart - 2
  • US Billboard 200 - 171

The worst thing about it was I was begging my folks to get this album (~1988), maybe it's made me a picky person when it comes to my musical selections these days.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For Those About To Rock by AC/DC
Good album but gets way too much praise considering it has some mediocre tunes on it like Spellbound, Breaking the Rules, Inject The Venom. I think Flick of the Switch was a vastly better album.

BamBam

Reaction score
Deadly underrated: Modern Times by Latin Quarter
Overrated: Guns N' Roses- Appetite for Destruction

Bill

Last edited:

The Wanderer

Kids With Guns
Reaction score
(Note: Maybe not MOST overrated album of the 80's but it could be up there.) Purple Rain - Prince and The Revolution. :dunno: I enjoy the title track but everything else on the album is not my cup of tea. Too much pop and not enough rock to satisfy my rebellious soul :****: :p

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
(Note: Maybe not MOST overrated album of the 80's but it could be up there.) Purple Rain - Prince and The Revolution. :dunno: I enjoy the title track but everything else on the album is not my cup of tea. Too much pop and not enough rock to satisfy my rebellious soul :****: :p

Well, it IS a pop album. Prince didn't have much (if any) "rock" songs prior to this album, so it's hard to expect this one to suddenly be a rock album.

:confused:

The Wanderer

Kids With Guns
Reaction score
Well, it IS a pop album. Prince didn't have much (if any) "rock" songs prior to this album, so it's hard to expect this one to suddenly be a rock album.

:confused:

(Let me clarify a little bit or at least attempt to XD, I chose this album because this is the album that people I knew would mention when I say "Some 80's Pop or just the 80's in general. So I started checking this album out and even found the LP while digging through some vinyl boxes at the flea market. Yes, I have only listened to this Prince album but I expected from him somewhat of another David Bowie based on appearances. My bottom line, I never am good with predictions XD.)

True, true maybe just the album art just threw me for a loop :gig honestly it looks like the cover for an epic soul-rock-blues-pop with the motorcycle and all. (<<Of course, isn't that kind of what the album is except more of an emphasis on pop? I need to listen to it again I may have shot myself in the foot here and I am brave enough to admit it :bonk:) His entire image just throws me off I can't tell what he is but I guess that is what makes him so different. It is by no means a bad album but I do believe it is overrated.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online