Montrose / Gamma (Official Thread)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Re: The official Montrose /Gamma thread

Good stuff Bucky ! Im well impressed you have seen Ronnie Montrose live...and the great GAMMA..wow!! theres no doubting his guitar playing skills ....check this out :grinthumb

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

I love the self titled MONTORSE debut ! Great album, but I was very disappointed with the 2 that followed. Haven't really looked into any of his other bands outputs. Probably time to listen to some samples though.

Rocker440

Reaction score

I, too, am a long time Montrose fan! A good friend at that time bought that album when it was first released and the terrific music and songs caught on with myself, and also many other rock fans back then. Imo, the S/T album is an extremely strong album! It continues to be one of the albums that I spin as much as possible and with a great emphasis on loudness, too! :heheh:

I have most of the albums that Lou/Realm has posted (excellent thread, posts and info, Lou! :cheers:) with the exception of a couple of the late 90's Montrose albums. I also greatly like the Gamma material! One of the albums that I play quite frequently is The Best of Gamma. :tup:

41NHTVB1CJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It has quite a lot of the songs from Gamma 1, 2 and 3. I really enjoy listening to this compilation release, whether from track 1 to 16 or on random/shuffle!

:tl:
1. Mean Streak
2. Four Horsemen
3. Dirty City
4. Voyager
5. Stranger
6. Condition Yellow
7. No Way Out
8. Third Degree
9. Thunder and Lightning
10. I'm Alive
11. Razor King
12. Modern Girl
13. Right the First Time
14. Wish I Was
15. What's Gone Is Gone
16. Fight to the Finish

:cheers2

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Of course after the second MONTROSE album...."paper money".....SAMMY HAGAR left the band.Bob James took over vocal duties.....what ever happened to him?

As Dakillerwolf,Rocker 440,and Joe says....the 1st MONTROSE album was a masterpiece.....the others..do have there moments
Sammy Hagar of course went on to bigger things...his solo career and later to join VAN HALEN...not forgetting the rocking CHICKENFOOT.
MONTROSE as a band then split after "jump on it"
Ronnie concentrated on solo albums............until he formed the excellent

GAMMA [:bow:]..........Mr Montrose was back firing on all cylinders !!!

imhjbiuvhy.jpg
mon.jpg
41D8NUesFlL.jpg

Last edited:

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I like the stuff Ronnie did with Edgar Winter, class.

And Montrose .. great stuff Lou.:grinthumb

Last edited:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Great thread Lou, I have the first Montrose album which I love, Space station #5 is the reason I got that one, love it, I also got Open Fire solo album which is good.

I did get Gamma's 1st album on cd, they keep coming in stock on Amazon every now and again so keep a look out for them LG.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Sweaty.....I was going to ask you when id seen you if you had any Montrose or Gamma? No surprise ,as I know you have a great catalogue of classic rock music in your collection.....so you must play me "open fire" because I havent got that one.

GAMMA Great band! I remember buying a 12 single first in the bargain bin....and was so impressed that I had to get "Gamma 2" and a week or so later "Gamma 1". Like you LG. and your brother. I was drawn by the fantastic artwork on Gamma2.....[.hmmm grass sharks :heheh:] Musically the albums are faultless with Ronnie in fine form with a great bunch of musicians around him.including a fine voice in Davey Patison.

Gamma 3...was an album that did get a bit of flak. Some say its too lightweight ,and that it was too keyboard orientated relegating Ronnie Montrose perennially excellent guitar work to secondary status.Hmm....maybe .

After a tour with Foriegner....there was talk of a MONTROSE refomation.

.......Has anyone got a copy of GAMMA 4 ?

Gamma1.jpg
a95251c88da02ddcd7abe110_L.jpg
ronniemontrose18023.jpg
Gamma4.jpg

hawk11

Reaction score

Loved the first Montrose album which the Rolling Stone music guide gave one star :huh:. "They Only Come Out At Night" was one of the first albums I've ever owned and remember as a kid watching Wonderama and hearing the song "Hanging Around".

Also recall reading that Ronnie Montrose was offered by Mott The Hoople to replace Mick Ralphs after he left the band for Bad Company which Montrose declined.

Wonder how well he would've fit into Mott ?

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Yes Hawk. I also read that Ronnie was offered the guitar spot with Mott...true.. it would have been very interesting....Im sure they would have done well.

508469_356x237.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

joe

Reaction score

After Montrose's s/t debut, Gamma 2 would be my fav. of Ronnie's other works.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Staff online

Members online