Mutatis Mutandis (1991)
Music from Here (1994)
Mr. Bones (1996)
Roll Over and Play Live (1999)
Bearings (1999)

With Montrose
Montrose (1973)
Paper Money (1974)
Warner Brothers Presents... Montrose! (1975)
Jump On It (1976)
Mean (1987)
The Very Best of Montrose (2000)

With Gamma
Gamma 1 (1979)
Gamma 2 (1980)
Gamma 3 (1982)
Gamma 4 (2000)
The Best of Gamma (1992)

Acclamed session guitarist RONNIE MONTROSE had worked with stars like Edgar Winter and Van Morrison. In 1973 he formed his own band MONTROSE featuring a young promising vocalist Sammy Hagar.
The debut album..wasnt a big seller but years later has been regarded as a "rock classic".It produced some memorable tracks like......

Bad Motor Scooter

........Lets hear it for Ronnie Montrose !!:grinthumb

Last edited by a moderator:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Re: The official Montrose /Gamma thread

The first album in 1973 was way.way ahead of its time.:tup:....still sounding good today! It was Ted Templeman who produced it...the man responsible for those classy Van Halen albums.

Space Station #5
3943.jpg2ii8wfc.jpgjump_on_it_montrose_album.jpg

Original Line up...
Sammy Hagar/Ronnie Montrose/Denny Carmassi [ great drummer...later was with HEART] and Bill Church bass

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Ted Templeman was a great producer, I think his name is a guarantee of quality when I see it on any album.(Production wise anyway...;))

I have Montrose's debut and their 3rd album I think, I'll have to check for sure. Gamma albums are hard to find, right now I just have MP3's of them, but I have not given up hope of getting a proper copy of at least the first one.

Nice to see another Ronnie Montrose fan in the house.:cheers:

joe

Reaction score

LOU, Montrose's s/t debut is one my fav. rock albums from the 70's. I think I bought it in 1980 and eventually taped it to cassette to have in the car. It brings back a lot of good memories for me.:grinthumb

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

MONTROSE Discography

Montrose 1973
Paper money 74
Warner brothers presents Montrose 75
Jump on it 76
Mean 87
The very best of Montrose 2000

GAMMA

Gamma
Gamma 2
Gamma 3
Gamma 4

Ronnie Montrose has made [ i think ] 9 solo albums aswell

Getting back talking about the classic 1st MONTROSE album ,it reached only 133 in the U.S chart . It obviously has sold better over the years. In the U.K it fared better reaching no.43 in the album charts.
I, like you bought the album years later Joe.....its pure class.
Yet they were on a big record label = warner brothers. It would be easy to criticise the label for not promoting the band correctly in the 1st place. Its amazing, listening to the debut how it has inspired many later bands...e.g.RIOT come to mindINSERT.jpgalbum-paper-money.jpgNOI.jpgmontrose-mean.jpg

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I never realized Ronnie released so much solo material LOU, I lost track of him after the last Gamma record.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Strangely enough LG ...the last GAMMA album GAMMA 4 is his last album he recorded in 2000.

here is the RONNIE MONTROSE solo albums discography that I know of...

Open fire 1978
Territory 86
The speed of sound 88
The Diva station 90
Mutatis mutandis 91
Music from here 94
Mr bones 96
Roll over and play live 99
Bearings 99

Ronnie Montrose played on a few tracks on a couple of PINK FLOYD tribute albums with a few big names in rock 2002/2005....and also a track on a Frank Marino tribute in 2005

While its been quiet of late recording wise...Ronnie gets out to rock the circuit.
On tour in 2009 ..he revealed he had successfully fought prostate cancer
He has performed from 2002 to present with MONTROSE featuring Kieth St John on vocals
mon.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I lost total track of Ronnie in the mid 80's, I remember my brother bought Gamma 2 and the cover caught my eye and we both liked the music as well.

You are becoming our "Go To" Montrose expert. I was always perplexed that they weren't bigger, their debut album has become a classic over the years, but when it came out many folks didn't pay any attention to the band.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Heres Ronnie rocking with another guitar legend Pat Travers......looks a storming gig

rtbuck

Reaction score

Great Job Lou!!

I love the Gamma albums & I have the first Montrose album & Jump on it. I seen Gamma open for AC/DC when they released their 2nd album & they put on a good performance. I also seen Ronnie in the early 90's in a club opening for Frank Marino & that whole show was phenomenal. I don't know who was singing for Montrose that night but he was all decked out in red (red pants,red shirt, & a red bandanna)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online