Misadventures In Music - Thoughts Unfiltered

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
Songs with the name of the band in the song title - iPhone edition:

"Tin Machine" by Tin Machine, "Bad Company" by Bad Company, "Black Sabbath" by Black Sabbath, "Green Day" by Green Day
"Rainmaker" by The Rainmakers, "In A Big Country" by Big Country, "Killer Queen" by Queen, "Stray Cat Strut" by The Stray Cats.

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
I happened to catch a few moments of a baseball game yesterday. I don’t know what broadcast station it was but I believe the Giants were one of the teams playing. Doesn’t really matter. But every once in a while, they had some discussions between two sports analysts and one of them was reporting perhaps from his home office and behind him, displayed prominently on shelving was The Dark Side of The Moon, Band of Gypsys, and The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
My wife becomes instantly disinterested every time I approach this but by and large, even satellite radio is predictable and boring.
Our recent cross country road trip gave opportunities for extended use of satellite radio, a feature to which my wife subscribes, and one which I often openly criticize.
Now, there is some interesting programming on satellite radio. But just like terrestrial based radio, it’s mostly lazy programming with a small sample of songs from any given artist. On sat radio, you may sometimes hear different songs not often played on FM radio, but you will no doubt hear those songs repeated often. We even listened to a comedy channel for a bit at different times and there was repetition there as well. There are a few channels that play a broader quantity of songs but the signals are so compressed and wet sounding that the Music quality suffers as well.

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
A few of my old friends went to see Loverboy and Foreigner last night and the few videos they shared more than validate my decision to not go.
Not a satisfying product from either band in my perhaps over critical opinion. I would have been really disappointed myself, no matter how far away the seats were.

Aero

Reaction score
My wife becomes instantly disinterested every time I approach this but by and large, even satellite radio is predictable and boring.
Our recent cross country road trip gave opportunities for extended use of satellite radio, a feature to which my wife subscribes, and one which I often openly criticize.
Now, there is some interesting programming on satellite radio. But just like terrestrial based radio, it’s mostly lazy programming with a small sample of songs from any given artist. On sat radio, you may sometimes hear different songs not often played on FM radio, but you will no doubt hear those songs repeated often. We even listened to a comedy channel for a bit at different times and there was repetition there as well. There are a few channels that play a broader quantity of songs but the signals are so compressed and wet sounding that the Music quality suffers as well.
What do you mean by "wet sounding?"

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
Unsatisfactory distortion in the sound. Especially the higher pitched frequencies of vocals and drum cymbals. Like water splashing; cars driving through puddles.

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
My work station is mainly at a desk receiving and helping manage inventory at a lawn equipment manufacturing plant. An assembly line is not far away and it is acceptable to play music on open air speakers.
I get a bit annoyed or irritated at the Assembly employees when they seem to play the same songs, perhaps from playlists, so often. Now there is some variety in the songs: 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and more recent. But it is all crap that is overplayed on any radio station. This is where the a$$hat in me shines through. I know twice a week this guy is going to play a playlist with “Hotel California”, twice a week a playlist that has “Somebody I Use To Know”, twice a week a playlist that has “Lose Yourself (Theme From Mom’s Spaghetti)” and really horrible songs like “Escape (The Pina Colada Song)” and Rick Astley. I don’t really care if he thinks he is being ironic but one of us is just a dumbshitt with their music and it is quite possibly him.
So as a result, at times, I turn on my small, Bluetooth speakers and smugly play a large variety of albums in their entirety just to counteract their malaise. I normally like to always play music while at work but sometimes my negative opinions of the music they play sort of helps me decide what to play next.

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
Oh surprise. He is playing the playlist with “Escape (Pina Colada Song)” and “The Final Countdown” right now.
You see what I have to deal with here?
“Eye Of The Tiger” again today. Must be the only song Survivor ever recorded.
This guy is a tool!

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
I was with some friends watching hockey at local bar and grill last night and the jukebox was on fire. I almost asked the waitress who was playing this music.
I heard them play "Holy Diver", followed by an Ozzy song that now escapes me, "Cum On Feel The Noize", Foreigner I mean Rainbow's "I Surrender", and a variety of 80's rock songs from the likes of Tesla, Cinderella, that are not rotated as often on the radio.
Somewhat surprising choices in musical selections given the normal and usually predictable “party rock” music played at sports bars.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Hmmm...my two thoughts are that I cant recall the last time I saw a 'jukebox' in a bar....maybe I go to the wrong bars,
And I dont know or have songs by those bands other thn Ozzy and Rainbow. :oops:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online