Metallica (Official Thread)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cliff Burton will always be remembered. He did a neat little solo on Kill Em All.

The start of Orion is him as well I think. Great opening and build up.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Really wish they had stuck with Newsted, I prefer him over Rob to be honest. But it is good to see they do shows with Jason Newsted.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I agree, I like Newsted a lot more than Rob, however, the songwriting overall was a LOT better during Jason's time with the band, so maybe that's part of the difference. I haven't seen the band in concert since their Millenium shows in January 2000. No clue how Rob is in concert other than a handful of youtube vids I've seen.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder if they had stuck with Newsted would St Anger have even happened? lol
Him leaving was what triggered the band to take a look at themselves.

Lynch

Reaction score
yeah, I have wondered that myself. I assume you've seen their documentary they made before and during the making of that album, right? They sure came off as a band just about ready to implode, didn't they?

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
yeah, I have wondered that myself. I assume you've seen their documentary they made before and during the making of that album, right? They sure came off as a band just about ready to implode, didn't they?

I do love watching Some Kind of Monster. I do think at times they look like a bunch of childish idiots though. lol
Given the fact Hetfield making a bitch fest about Jason doing a solo project was why he left I find it really ironic that Lulu being a side project turned out to be on the same level of bad as the following album after Newsted originally left the band.
Bob Rock was really the architect behind the bands demise at that time. Before Death Magnetic I would have thought Metallica were done and St Anger had been the final nail.

Lynch

Reaction score
Can't disagree with any of your points. It's a cool film, but they definitely act like a bunch of spoiled brats in the film. At least the two main guys, James and Lars. I think Jason just got fed up with the whole thing and was man enough to walk away without causing a real big scene. Kirk is usually pretty quiet, although when he gets whiney, he reminds me of a 13 yr old. He's so "kiddish". :heheh:

Bob Rock, hard to figure that guy out. he took the band and truly made them a household name with the Black Album. When AJFA was out and they were touring behind it, they were easily the biggest band in Metal, but with Rock and the Black album, he took them to a whole new level and made them one of the two biggest bands in rock. As the decade went on, he saw them through a number of 'artistic' changes throughout the 90s and even filling in for Jason as bassist on SA, but I'm glad to see they dumped him as well.

The goofiest part of that film was Phil and the way he started acting, as if he was a part of the band. It was funny seeing that and interesting to see them talking about it behind his back, then to his face.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think they also caused the Megadeth v Metallica war to reignite with how they portrayed Mustaine in that interview. lol

Bob Rock I suspect also thought he was a band member too lol

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EusebiaTat

Members online