Meat Loaf Says Health Issues Mean He May Never Sing Again

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ultimateclassicrock.com

meatloaf.jpg

Meat Loaf has revealed that problems with his back have prevented him from singing for a year now, and that he may never be able to perform again.

The 70-year-old artist has undergone a series of surgical procedures in an attempt to resolve the issues, he said, but he’s currently unable to move around his home without the aid of a walker.

“You use everything to sing, and I just cannot do it,” he told Rolling Stone in a new interview, before insisting that he planned to keep fighting. “From how I grew up, that's where I learned to be tough and to never stop. I mean, I'm tough as nails. Once I was hit in the head with a pool cue and just turned to the guy and said, 'You just made a big mistake.' Got hit in the head with a whiskey bottle. Had my head slammed into a locker. I've had 18 concussions. And nothing, nothing has ever put me down. Yeah, man – I never go down." Still, he noted, “my back is driving me crazy. But then I'm probably a little crazy anyway, because of all the concussions.”

Asked whether he’d attend the upcoming opening of the Bat Out of Hell stage musical, he said there was “not a prayer” of his appearance while he had to rely on the walker. “I don't have any business going out to where all the bars and bands are,” he said. “They'd look at me and say, 'Who's the old guy? What's that old guy doing here?' No, man, I don't belong in those places."

Meat Loaf also expressed concern for the well-being of Jim Steinman, the songwriter and producer with whom he’s had most of his success. “He doesn't want me talking about his health, but I'm worried about him,” he said. “My dream was never to be a rock ’n’ roll star. I wanted to play professional football. … When people call me a legend, I say, 'Don't call me that, I'm not a legend.' I don't pretend to be one. I want to be just a normal human being.”

E-Z

Reaction score
Interesting 70s Guy I didn't know that 'the meat' and Jim Steinman both have health issues?. Meat Loaf appears in a fairly amusing rock movie called Roadie from the early 1980s which isn't a bad movie and is quite entertaining and Jim is one of the coolest looking rock dudes ever on the back cover of his solo album Bad For Good back in 1981 I really like that picture of Jim.

E-Z

Last edited:

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
His last album "Braver Than We Are" gathered a lot of negative feedback. I didn't think it was bad, but his vocals certainly weren't great. I'd hate for that to be his swan song, but if so, so be it.

It sounds serious with Jim Steinman. I hope it isn't as serious as it sounds and that he will recover completely, whatever it might be. I don't dare to speculate.

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Should have stopped singing ages ago and retired tbh.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online