Manfred Mann's Earth Band (Official Thread)

Fever

Reaction score
I found out that Robert Hart is now the lead singer of Manfred Mann's Earth Band.I guess he joined last year.He was the lead singer for Bad Company on two albums(I think) after Brian Howe left.I have them both and thought they were pretty good.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Peter Cox was with the Earth Band from 2009, but I think he returned to Go West. I do not know if he recorded anything with them. A boxed set of the Earth Band's back catalogue was released recently, with a CD of outtakes and another called Live in Ersingen 2011 (with Hart on lead vocals). The latter contains three Bruce Springsteen covers including Dancing in the Dark. I would like the last two CDs, but don't intend to buy yet another version of all the earlier albums.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Sorry to hear about Manfred's wife passing away. I agree about that collection of rarities...I'm not interested in demo's or outtakes myself.

While sorting through some old vinyl I inherited I did come across "The Roaring Silence" and "Chance" and both are in very good condition, a thorough cleaning and they'll be good to go.:D

E-Z

Reaction score
Been listening to Manfred Mann & Manfred Mann's Earth band lately and what a great listen!!.

First with the Manfred Mann 1960s group they produced some memorial 60s 'pop songs' and one of the very early singles in particular I actually remember hearing at the time when it was in the British singles charts in 1964 called 'Do Wa Diddy' I was only 7 years old at the time but I remember everyone was singing it adults and kids!.

As for Manfred Mann's Earth band from the 1970s I was a teenager during that time and I remember 'Joybringer' from 1973 that song got a lot of radio one airplay and also the Bruce Springsteen song 'Blinded By The Light' from 1976 a stellar cover version of the song and finally 'Davy's On The Road Again' from 1978 another great song that got quite a bit of radio airplay in the UK.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Fully agree E-Z ...i grew up with their radio hits and Dylanesque sound...but the albums from the Earth Band take it up a notch further.
(Bruce's) Spirits In The Night.

From Angel Station:
Angels At My Gate.

Signs of a shift were evident on their classic obscure Chapter 3 offering from 1969...this filmed in France:
Manfred Mann - Snakeskin Garter.

Reactions: E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
Yeah I agree Nai Noswad and as you mention 'Spirits In The Night' that's a excellent cover version of another Bruce Springsteen song and another catchy song that they did was called 'Lies' (All through the 80s).

As far as Manfred Mann's Earth band goes possibly these days a slightly overlooked 1970s & 1980s British rock band that deserves to be better known by rock music fans in general.

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
Roaring Silence and Messin' are fine albums..i liked the Bronze era myself.
Just managed to pick up Solar Fire from 1973 & The Roaring Silence from 1976 both cds 'sealed' and unopened.

According to the liner notes in The Roaring Silence Manfred explains that he bought Bruce Springsteen's debut album Greetings From Ashbury Park N.J. and listened to it and thought he would have ago at Blinded By The Light which became one of the band's most recognisable recordings.

According to the liner notes on Uriah Heep's look At Yourself from 1971 Manfred Mann played the mini-moog on a segment of 'July Morning' with Manfred's segment starting at 7:30 in the song.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online