Manfred Mann's Earth Band (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Manfred Mann's Earth Band

^^Chance and The Roaring Silence are my two picks...but I have got most of their albums now.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score

While I do like their version of Blinded By The Light along with the other Springsteen covers, I don't think they are anywhere near as good as the original versions. I suppose you knew I would say that. :tongue: I don't know, maybe you just have to "get" Bruce. Some people don't give him a listen beyond the hits. Some of Bruce's best songs are in the first couple of albums. MMEB made the songs more pop in my opinion.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I am not surprised you feel that way, but I am totally opposite I much prefer both MMEB covers of his songs, and that is kind of rare for me. Roaring Silence was one of the first albums I bought with my own money, and I just loved the keyboard sound on that song, even remember seein' them perform on Sonny & Cher when that song broke big in the US market.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score

^^I am not surprised you feel that way, but I am totally opposite I much prefer both MMEB covers of his songs, and that is kind of rare for me. Roaring Silence was one of the first albums I bought with my own money, and I just loved the keyboard sound on that song, even remember seein' them perform on Sonny & Cher when that song broke big in the US market.

I know you have given Bruce a listen beyond the norm LG, so I totally respect your opinion. :grinthumb Also, I do enjoy MMEB a lot and think they did a great job with those covers and their other work as well.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score

Manfred Mann always had a good ear for a song and seemed to prefer covers to his own material, despite it being very good. He had already covered a number of Bob Dylan songs, when Springsteen appeared as the next Bob Dylan. Springsteen's exotic lyrics seemed to work with the Earth Band's melodic combination of soloing guitar and keyboards. But, whereas Springsteen gave Blinded by the Light a folk-y style, Manfred Mann turned it into progressive heavy rock.

The Earth Band were a progressive rock band which experimented with vocal and instrumental passages and as such represented a move away from Manfred's past of popular hit singles. They were never really pop. Just listen to the full length album version of Blinded by the Light with the two lead vocal parts being sung at the same time or the instrumental 'Waiter,There's a Yawn in My Ear'.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score

^^^I didn't really mean to insinuate that they were a pop band. Pop was the wrong word to use...sorry. I guess I meant to say that I believe they made Blinded By The Light more mainstream.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score

Fair enough, no need to apologise.

Just wanted to make myself clear. ;) I sometimes leave a word out or use a wrong word that changes the whole meaning of a sentence. I need to proof read better. :heheh:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online