Lous A-Z of 70s Glam Rock !!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Lous A-Z of 70s Glamrock !!

^^I don't have any Gary Glitter albums in the house Cinder, but I did like his most famous song...:blush2:

Great job again LOU, you are a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge about all these subjects you are sharing with us.:hab:

Have to agree with Joe, I always thought the Faces were a rock band, but they weren't nearly as big over here as in England.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

I knew id get my ass whipped bringing up Gary Glitter.........bit of a touchy subject......groan:heheh:
As for Rod Stewart and the Faces.....Joe and LG probably right...you would never see Ronnie Lane in knee length platforms and mascara lol
Rod was the glamourous one....he was the one with the pics in the teeny mags.......musically THE FACES were rock..even blues rock...inspiring later bands as The Quireboys,Dogs damour and even....The Black Crowes
So yep your right THE FACES werent a Glam band....but worth a mention

Thanks for bringing me to the attention of THE DeFRANCO FAMILY Astrid ,these Canadian pin ups....never made an impact in the UK like they did in the US and Canada,i had to look them up on Wikipedia.....where are they now?,...apparently Tony is a real estate agent in California
70s glam rock made more of a impression in the UK and its always interesting to find new artists from Europe and the US I have missed......
Do we know of any 70s glam from Australia ? chaps

G...............THE GOODIES [??!!:oyea:]

THE GOODIES.........Tried to be the ultimate glam band wearing Elton Johns glasses,Gary Glitters boots,The Rubettes caps..........didnt work instead of screaming girls they got.............screaming policemen [???:heheh:]
Sold out and went funky......with "funky gibbon":wtf:

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

I knew id get my ass whipped bringing up Gary Glitter.........bit of a touchy subject......groan:heheh:
As for Rod Stewart and the Faces.....Joe and LG probably right...you would never see Ronnie Lane in knee length platforms and mascara lol
Rod was the glamourous one....he was the one with the pics in the teeny mags.......musically THE FACES were rock..even blues rock...inspiring later bands as The Quireboys,Dogs damour and even....The Black Crowes

Thanks for bringing me to the attention of THE DeFRANCO FAMILY Astrid ,these Canadian pin ups....never made an impact in the UK like they did in the US and Canada,i had to look them up on Wikipedia.....where are they now?,...apparently Tony is a real estate agent in California
70s glam rock made more of a impression in the UK and its always interesting to find new artists from Europe and the US I have missed......
Do we know of any 70s glam from Australia ? chaps

G...............THE GOODIES [??!!:oyea:]

THE GOODIES.........Tried to be the ultimate glam band wearing Elton Johns glasses,Gary Glitters boots,The Rubettes caps..........didnt work instead of screaming girls they got.............screaming policemen [???:heheh:]
Sold out and went funky......with "funky gibbon":wtf:

:oyea: Omg..!

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

F............ROD STEWART AND THE FACES...[Dont forget to check out MAGICs thread- Rod Stewart] .Formed in 1969 by members of THE SMALL FACES after Steve Marriott formed HUMBLE PIE.The band including Ronnie Lane were now joined by Ronnie Wood -guitar and Rod Stewart [both ex Jeff Beck group and the line up was renamed THE FACES. Released 4 albums..Rod Stewarts distinctive dry vocals was an essential quality to the band,eventually with him becoming a highly successful solo artist aswell.
This year after much talk THE FACES will be performing again,but not with Rod on vocals but............Mick Hucknall [!!!??!!:wa]

F.........FOX Formed 74 featured the seductive vocals of Australian Noosha Fox. Only recorded a few albums, I have the debut....quality stuff. Noosha went on to make a few solo releases

G..........GARY GLITTER , GEORDIE ,THE GLITTER BAND,etc

G.........GARY GLITTER........Real name Paul Gadd.One of 70 glams most Colorful but since recently controversial characters. Im not going to talk about what he did.....just about his "heyday" when GLITTERMANIA was here in the early 70s. His first chart hit "rocknroll part 1+2" was a massive hit world wide followed by countless other chart success. His image was striking with his glitter outfits and the biggest silver platform boots youve ever seen :)
GARY GLITTER...with the help of producer Mike Leander produced a glitter rock sound...using chants and the sounds of two drummers
His records were aways on our turntable.....my sister, brother,mother and myself the guilty parties GARY GLITTER rocked!!

I love Faces and Small Faces...I reading a great book about the whole thing ! My Boyfriend sent me a book about the era. It {Faces/Small Faces} spun off soo much talent ! all the greats had some connection unto other bands thru other members, Rod Stewart/Ronnie Lane.,Steve Marriott/Frampton Humble Pie, amazing Jeff Beck ..it was like The Yardbirds with all those talents sifting thru !

Poor old Gary Glitter..he WAS appart of the Glorious Glam scene..no doubt about it.He deserves mention . His icky reputation spoiled it for many. It's too bad. Because he really was huge. Much like Michael Jackson...his talent is forever overshadowed by his Ewwww factor ..shame ,

b.o.b.

Reaction score

Nice thread LOU. But I only show my face here to pay you some respect cause I'm not a big fan of 70s glam rock :D. Nobody's perfect :heheh:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I love the fact Lou is mentioning glam artists that were not in the mainstream...

High five, Lou :)

joe

Reaction score

Sometimes putting sub-genre labels to an artist or an album is open to interpertation. For example: Progressive/Art rock band Crack the Sky's second album, to my ears has some elements of the glam rock sound and one song very Bowie-esque. Also Canadian hard rock band Thundermug(early/mid '70's) does have somewhat of glam sound similar to the bands of that genre and time. One gentleman on this site pointed out that they weren't glam because of thier wardrobe didn't fit the "image" of glam rock. Could we put a proto-glam tag on it? Sure. Why not.
In regards to The Faces I do think they had an infuence on punk rock. Not so much thier music, but thier antics, lifestyle, and that "sloppy" sounding brand of rock 'n' roll. I do see a huge influence on the The Black Crowes.
Also, I must say your humility does not go unoticed. Very refreshing.:good

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Thank you Magic and Joe for your kind words :)
Joe ....thanks for bringing to light the Aussie glam band HUSH...excellent....I ve also discovered some other quality glam artists from down under from that link:cheers2
b.o.b.......I know where you are coming from if I had the choice of listening to Paradise Lost:bow: or The Osmonds:wtf:...you know what album I would pick lol.............p.s were there any 70s glam from Romania?

G............GEORDIE Will always be remembered for being singer Brian Johnsons band prior to joining AC/DC after the sad death of Bon Scott.Often wrongly cited as SLADE imitators......GEORDIE.....were legends to me!!!
Commercially they had a few hit singles which were great,but the albums were a lot more Rock orientated. Worth checking out the first two "hope you like it" and the more darker "dont be fooled by the name" [ which includes a cover of "house of the rising sun" ]
After Brian left GEORDIE they did try out a few singers but failed to capture any success

Attachments

• 120231599_geordie_hope_you_like_it.jpg
    120231599_geordie_hope_you_like_it.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 71
  • geordie_cover_big.jpg
    geordie_cover_big.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 71
  • glamcd51.jpg
    glamcd51.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 71

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

G................THE GLITTER BAND Initially worked as Gary Glitters backing band..but in 73 began releasing records of their own. They had 7 top 20 singles with their debut "Angel face" an early glam classic reaching number 4 in the UK charts. By 1977 they split..resurfacing in the 80s and more recently playing a gig in London with 80s star Adam Ant guesting
I love the silver guitar shaped like a star! How glam is that!!....and the two drummers......a sound engineers nightmare:heheh:

G........LEIF GARRETT Famous in the US as a 70s teen idol but recieved much publicity in later life for his drug and legal troubles. His biggest hit was the disco inspired "i was made for dancin"....cant say I was remotely a fan:wtf::heheh:

H.......HELLO, HEAVY METAL KIDS, HUSH,Hector ,Harley Quinne ,Harpo etc

Attachments

• Glitter_Band_-_Hey.jpg
    Glitter_Band_-_Hey.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member