Lous A-Z of 70s Glam Rock !!

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Re: Lous A-Z of 70s Glamrock !!

H..........HELLO [ See LADYISLINGERING thread]
One of my personal favourite bands from this era. HELLO are probably best known for doing "new york groove ", a track which is popular with KISS fans as Ace Frehley did it superbly on his solo album.
HELLO achieved a moderate success in the uk but were bigger in Germany.
Their glam gimmick was to dress in denim....even the debut album came with a fake denim look to it.....one of the guys wearing denim dungarees ...one of the 70s fashion victims lol

H................HUSH Formed 1971 featuring the vocals of Kieth Lamb they achieved a no 1 in their own country Australia in 75 with a cover of "bony maronie". They recorded 6 albums their last was in 77. The band have got together occasionally for the odd reunion

H.......HEAVY METAL KIDS......[See METALPRIESTs thread ]
Another British act who were more popular abroad. Featured actor Gary Holton r.i.p on vocals.
HEAVY METAL KIDS are still playing the circuits today

H...........HECTOR Sorry....I just about vaguely remember them...never did reach the charts....sorry no info

H..........HOLLYWOOD BRATS UKs answer to The New York Dolls.....very much an underground band that had a punk attitude...lacked a bit of quality.Mind you....this is years earlier than Hanoi Rocks

H......HARLEY QUINNE you know when youve got a single at home and you know nothing about the band.?..... does.anyone know who these are? its on the bell label early 70s....I know GILLAN later covered this song......new orleans

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

Hold up ! Can't have Leif Garrett without the ultimate pinup golden idol...Andy Gibb !:nw:

I know he got lumped into the Disco era because of his big brothers The BEE GEES but he was way more rockin than Leif Garrett lol !!!

That blonde feathered hair,that beautiful toothy smile , that hairy chest Whhhoo woooo !:bow:

His face cover young Astrid's tween room ..PLASTERED lol..he slightly turned my head a bit ;)

Attachments

• ANDY GIBB 2.jpg
    ANDY GIBB 2.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 65
  • ANDY GIBB.jpg
    ANDY GIBB.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Andy Gibb ....your right I forgot about him....er and Shaun Cassidy.Both these70s "teen idols" were big in the US ....but not so much in the UK. Shaun became a tv producer......he was behind "American gothic" which I thought was better than his records....hehe

i..........Iron Virgin , Iron Cross [france....not the metal or punk band with same name]

J.............ELTON JOHN ,JOBRIATH ,JAPAN , JET, The Jook ,etc

J..............JAPAN Arrived on the scene with two albums in 1978 sporting a very GLAM image. Singer David Sylvian looking like a girl and bass player Mick Karn with red long hair resembling a toy troll :heheh: Anyone expecting a New York Dolls trash rock would be disapointed because.......they were a bit different and difficult to label.....they were abit "arty" using synths and funky basslines.....this was in the era of punk and new wave and they didnt "fit in "
JAPAN had instant success in.....JAPAN! where else.....who loved them! UK markets ignored them until the 80s where they entered the" new romantic" era with a change of image and sounds.[ innovative using synths as oriental instruments ]They hit some great times with successful albums and singles until splitting up. They did reform again in 1991 under the name RAIN TREE CROW making one album and splitting again. Sylvian has made solo material and Karn has sadly been diagnosed with cancer recently

J.......THE JOOK Had a "bovver "boy look....like early SLADE. Made a few singles around 1974 and failed to make an impact. Wrong place...wrong time...would have done better in 78 when punk/power pop took hold

Last edited:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

J..............JOBRIATH real name Bruce Campbell.Made his 1st album with a band named PIDGEON in 1969 . As JOBRIATH he signed a lucrative deal with Elektra records .Where Bowie was androgynous about his image JOBRIATH was openly gay [dont forget this is the early 70s!!]
His debut album was released in 73 followed by the"creatures of the street" Lp.
They featured contributions by Peter Frampton and John Paul Jones of LED ZEPPELIN
Heres a track even Bowie would have been proud of.....and a glimpse of his life story

Attachments

• jobriath 2.jpg
    jobriath 2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Jobriath.JPG
    Jobriath.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 63

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

JOBRIATH....continued

JOBRIATHs story is a sad one,it was said that he suffered from schizophrenia. After the second album things started to go wrong and he "retired" to become a cabaret singer.He would also refuse to play any JOBRIATH songs.He died of aids in 1983

He would wear some outlandish costumes !!! Even DEVO wouldnt have worn this :heheh: mind you Bowie wore something similar in the 80s!!
Great track !! dont you love a pretentious glam :D:D.....what you mean no??

Another crazy costume...no thats not a goldfish bowl on his head! :heheh:
Was JOBRIATH a genius?........or a clown?? you decide.....
I think MOSTof his music was great.......but when he was bad...he was really BAD.I do remember reading somewhere he was voted the worst rock star ever
ooooooo dont ya love glam rock..so fun so trashy...makes you:)

Attachments

• 74294707.jpg
    74294707.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 63

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

JOBRIATH....continued

JOBRIATHs story is a sad one,it was said that he suffered from schizophrenia. After the second album things started to go wrong and he "retired" to become a cabaret singer.He would also refuse to play any JOBRIATH songs.He died of aids in 1983

He would wear some outlandish costumes !!! Even DEVO wouldnt have worn this :heheh: mind you Bowie wore something similar in the 80s!!
Great track !! dont you love a pretentious glam :D:D.....what you mean no??

Another crazy costume...no thats not a goldfish bowl on his head! :heheh:
Was JOBRIATH a genius?........or a clown?? you decide.....
I think MOSTof his music was great.......but when he was bad...he was really BAD.I do remember reading somewhere he was voted the worst rock star ever
ooooooo dont ya love glam rock..so fun so trashy...makes you:)

Omg , he sounds exactly like Bowie :wtf:

I have HEARD of Jobriath but never HEARD him ..thanks :grinthumb
He is in alot of references in Glam/Glitter photos , guessing it's the costumes.
But this one of those artists I would NEVER have heard of here in the states if not for you lovely british folks ...

Totally trashy stuff...Love It

Ps it's ok to forget Shaun Cassidy :heheh:
David was the sexy one , and he sung better lol

It's a girl thing lol...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^That is one of the worst costumes I have ever laid eyes on LOU...:eek: I have never even heard of Jobriath until reading your last two posts.

I tried very hard to ignore Shaun Cassidy and Andy Gibb myself, they just weren't in my musical wheelhouse.:nw:

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

^^That is one of the worst costumes I have ever laid eyes on LOU...:eek: I have never even heard of Jobriath until reading your last two posts.

I tried very hard to ignore Shaun Cassidy and Andy Gibb myself, they just weren't in my musical wheelhouse.:nw:

:heheh:Probably had to be a thirteen year old girl LG to get it !

Don't think I'll catch you rocking out to the Gibbster eh ? :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I can absolutely guarantee that Astrid, and the Bay City Rollers are on that illustrious list too.:grinthumb

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

^^I can absolutely guarantee that Astrid, and the Bay City Rollers are on that illustrious list too.:grinthumb

Trust me, I tortured my brothers with Andy Gibb,The Patridge Family, The Bay City Rollers etc...they are in line behind you sticking up their business finger at those old teen idols :tongue:

Well , I did mature into real rock so I turned out ok ,,:)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online