Lous A-Z of 70s Glam Rock !!

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Re: Lous A-Z of 70s Glamrock !!

B.........BILBO BAGGINS Also from Edinburgh Scotland..They later shortened the bands name to BILBO. This band didnt get the breaks like the Bay City Rollers......with only minor success with a few singles which didnt dent the pop charts. I own "back home" a great single which deserved better. with impressive vocals by Colin Chisholm. It turns out to be a cover of a song by GOLDEN EARRING [which I didnt know] I dont know if they ever made an album.........

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

B......BARRY BLUE Real name Barry Green. Has been a prolific songwriter/producer for numerous artists over the years....including Bananarama,Diana Ross,Heatwave,Toto Coelo,Dina Carroll,Celine Dion and Pixie Lott.....not bad for a bass player who spent time with Uriah Heep in their early days.
As a solo artist Barry had a couple of hits in 1973.......get ready to cringe:wa aaaaarghhh

B..........BLUE A band put together in 73 by ex MARMALADE singer/guitarist Hugh Nicholson. Made several albums signing to Elton Johns Rocket label.....only achieving one hit single

B........BE BOP DELUXE [ See Soxs thread ]

http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f9/bop-deluxe-6018/

A superb band featuring the guitar and vocal talents of Bill Nelson :bow:i feel I have to mention them because of their Bowie influences

B........BLACKFOOT SUE Featuring twins Tom and Dave Farmer in the band."Standing in the road" was a big hit for them in the early 70s. Split 77 to form band LINER ...then later OUTSIDE EDGE. BLACKFOOT SUE did get back together for a while playing their last gig in 1999

joe

Reaction score

Thats right JOE ....MUD were a top early 70s glam band who were very popular here in the UK.....I will mention them when i get to the letter M.....in this a-z
Was there any glam bands from Canada from that era?

Sorry about that, didn't read your thread close enough to see that you had an A-Z thing going. Big fan of Blackfoot Sue. Had both Strangers and Nothing to Hide on vinyl back in the day. Check out thier version of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture on Strangers, fantastic. In the vinyl collector circles there was a rumour about "the long lost Blackfoot Sue album". I finally found it on a music download site. It's titled Gun Running and harder rocking that thier two other LPs.

The only Canadian glam artist I can think of is Sweeny Todd which is Nick Gilder's first band. They had a minor hit here in Canada called Roxy Roller.

If we're going to C, can list Cockney Rebel?

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

B...............BAY CITY ROLLERS...[ See thread by METALPRIEST]

http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f6/bay-city-rollers-7709/

This Scottish band from Edinburgh were absolutley HUGE in the UK in the early 70s! Their first hit was "keep on dancing" in 1971 with a different singer.....a few years later Les McKeown took over the vocals..and before long they had hit after hit..their own tv show....fame and fortune....and screaming teenage girls!!!!!
By 1975 "Rollermania" was slowing down in the UK they sucessfully achieved a number 1 in the States with "Saturday night".....strange as this single had flopped in the UK. This was followed by a few more hit singles including "rocknroll love letter" [ which was for some reason not released as a single over here in the UK]

A version with Les Mckeown singing.....

Love or loathe them..........the BAY CITY ROLLERS were very successful...

I admit I was waiting for this one. lol

I was totally crazy for Woody {where's METAL , HE likes to tease me lol} And Les Mc !

Love my lads in plaids ! I had a lunchbox, bookcovers, tons of posters,etc..even a bathing suit ! If I still had those, I'd make LOADS of Ebay now lol

Great music and very HAPPY childhood memories !:cheers2

Last edited:

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

I apologize for not paying attention to the alphabetical thing. If I had to wait until "W" however, I might be dead LOL :D

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Annie = :cheers2 Thanks again for the WIZZARD article..it was inspiring......mm:think: "W " Yes ...it is a bit of a wait....looking forward....to "Z" and the crazy band named ZOLAR X..:wtf::heheh:......but thats later.....much later

Joe + Drifter.....Thanks for the info:grinthumb..about Sweeney Todd/Nick Gilder...I didnt know they were Canadian:bonk: The track "roxy roller" is brill!!
Joe = very impressed you like Blackfoot Sue....:grinthumb id be well curious to hear more of their stuff.....perhaps me old connesieurs Sox or Sweaty might have an album by them.......to borrow me

Astrid = Always great to hear your memories about the 70s..." teenie weenie...lol :D Young girls [and probably their mothers ] loved the BAY CITY ROLLERS......guys...ahem denied it

Where was I......." B".......Anyone here like........DAVID BOWIE!!!! ??

Attachments

• ziggy_3.jpg
    ziggy_3.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 69
  • ziggystardustdavidbowie.jpg
    ziggystardustdavidbowie.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Ziggy%20Stardust%20Album.jpg
    Ziggy%20Stardust%20Album.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

The first ever single I ever bought with my pocketmoney was.......David Bowie -Rebel Rebel.......with" queen bitch" as b side......both still sound so outstanding even today:bow:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

B...............DAVID BOWIE Another rock superstar who has been active in the music and acting business for 5 decades. He has been famous for reinventing his music and image.His first major success came with the song "space oddity".
In i972 he reamerged as the flamboyant,colorful,androgynous alter ego ZIGGY STARDUST....." The ultimate rock star "....just what glam rock is about
The rest of Bowie....everyone knows.....been in some good films too

Some more classy albums from Bowie.....and these are just from the 70s !!

Attachments

• artwork_436369a.jpg
    artwork_436369a.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 62
  • david-bowie-ziggy-stardust-345x345.jpg
    david-bowie-ziggy-stardust-345x345.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Hunky-Dory.jpg
    Hunky-Dory.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 62
  • david_bowie_pin_ups.jpg
    david_bowie_pin_ups.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 62

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

C................ Steve Harleys COCKNEY REBEL, DAVID CASSIDY ,CHICORY TIP, Clout, Child , Co-co

C........CHICORY TIP Formed UK 1967 .Had a number 1 with "Son of my father" in 72. Followed by songs in similar style eg. "good grief Christina " They were pioneers in the fact they were one of the first to have a hit single featuring a moog synthesiser. They only released.......just one album. CHICORY TIP were a great fun glam band with a sense of humour and wacky costumes. It was said that when they played live they sounded more like Deep Purple.......like a lot of bands in this era.....they werent taken seriously....split up 75. Have been known to play the odd 70s revival nostalgia nights since.....

Electro pop style in 1972

C......DAVID CASSIDY Oh how my elder sister used to SWOON over him . :flirt She wasnt the only one as he was one of pop cultures most celebrated teen idols !!!!
Best known for his role as Kieth Partridge in the 70s musical sitcom THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY [See Metalpriests thread ] Mass hysteria when ever he played live.......still around today as a celeb and sings in musicals

C........CLOUT Were a 5 piece South African all girl rock group. Formed 77
Had a big hit with the song "substitute" in the UK and around Europe and Australia. Split 81. They even did a version of Argents "since youve been gone" a song RAINBOW covered

Attachments

• youngcassidyDM_228x328.jpg
    youngcassidyDM_228x328.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Chicory_Tip_-_The_Best_of_(2002).jpg
    Chicory_Tip_-_The_Best_of_(2002).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 59

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members