Lous A-Z of 70s Glam Rock !!

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
Re: Lous A-Z of 70s Glamrock !!

ELO founder Roy Wood and his WIZZARD were a Birmingham-based band formed by Roy Wood, former member of The Move and co-founder of Electric Light Orchestra. The Guinness Book of 500 Number One Hits states, "Wizzard was Roy Wood just as much as Wings were Paul McCartney." Wood left ELO, deciding he wanted to head off in a different musical direction and left, taking band members Bill Hunt (keyboards and french horn), Hugh McDowell (cello), and ELO's sound engineer, Trevor Smith, with him, to found Wizzard. Also in the line-up were former Move bassist Rick Price, drummers Charlie Grima and Keith Smart (all taken from Birmingham group Mongrel), plus saxophone players Mike Burney and Nick Pentelow; son of actor Arthur Pentelow. Hunt was later replaced by Bob Brady.

With Wood's distinctive warpaint make-up and colourful costumes, and his regular appearances on BBC Television's Top of the Pops in which members and friends variously appeared in pantomime horses, gorilla costumes or as roller-skating angels, often wielding custard pies for good measure, they were one of the most picturesque groups in the British glam rock era.

The band's 1973 Christmas single "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday" has become something of an annual fixture on British radio and television (along with Slade's "Merry Xmas Everybody" and, until his public fall from grace, Gary Glitter's "Another Rock n' Roll Christmas").

Angel Fingers

See My Baby Jive

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

An excellent choice ALVIN STARDUST ! ...comes from Mansfield .. Cinders home town....We will have to talk about Alvin more....when I get to the letter S
A..........ABBA

Sorry...but to me ABBA have a right to be on a glam thread....they were MASSIVE in the 70s such prolific song writers...

B............Some great artists here...David Bowie, Bay City Rollers,Be bop Deluxe,Blue,Blackfoot Sue,Bilbo Baggins,Buster etc

Last edited:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Super WIZZARD thread there Annie!:grinthumb I love the interview with Roy Wood too.He said that he would have some crazy costumes:) lined up for the band before Top of the pops....thats another thing what made70s glam exciting wondering what they would be wearing!! and talking about it with schoolfriends the next day......
WIZZARD were great such entertainers.....the songs were strong ..and were very popular [ his old band THE MOVE ....were pretty good too ]

Drifter

Reaction score

Wizzard's Brew remains one of the craziest, far out records I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. He throws everything but the kitchen sink in there. Nice to see Roy getting some respect around these parts.

joe

Reaction score

Mud was a band similar to Sweet that were huge in the UK but not in North America. They had the same song writing team as Sweet. Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Thats right JOE ....MUD were a top early 70s glam band who were very popular here in the UK.....I will mention them when i get to the letter M.....in this a-z
Was there any glam bands from Canada from that era?

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

Wow , Thanks for this thread Lou. I'm still confused why Glam/Glitter rock wasn't so popular in the US but I was very young then and I had no control over music played around me much..until I got into my tweens anyway ...

I find I ADORE what I've been exposed to Bowie, Bolan, Sweet, Alice Cooper (think your right he was both I guess lol) still learning about what is or isn't to be honest !

I have a great book I got from an online uk shop about glam

'GLAM ,BOWIE,BOLAN And The Glitter REVOLUTION ; by Barney Hoskins . It helps with references and really was the basis for the movie 'Velvet Goldmine'

But It doesn't quite give all the personal feel of the kids and the era.

I wanted to submit my compliments of this thread because it is timely. My friends in the Uk are educating me about it pretty well.but I like your takes too.
Especially the ARROW ! What great music ! And those guys were totally hot :heheh:

I admit I LOVE the Glam, I agree with Magic, it was fun music. I love the Flamboyant clothes , Platforms, make up, the hair it was so colorful. I love the hippy from the 60's but then things turn kinda blah ..denim is cool but Glam was bright and exciting !

My first dabbling with Glam on my own would be The Bay City Rollers lol (i was a teenie weenie lol) and KISS..Queen..and Bowie

Alice Cooper ! I can't find a good Video of him playing my all time favorite: 'Teenage Lament 74' I LOVE that song :grinthumb

Last edited:

Drifter

Reaction score

Was there any glam bands from Canada from that era?

Even though he came a little later after the original scene ended, I always considered Nick Gilder glam rock up to a point. Hot Child In the City just might be the last great glam single.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Great thread there Lou, I love glam music, I have loads myself, it was not given the respect it deserved, after all they were good musicians and made some topper tunes that are still played and covered today. Looking forward to reading your inspired thread as you progress along the alphabet.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

B...............BAY CITY ROLLERS...[ See thread by METALPRIEST]

http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f6/bay-city-rollers-7709/

This Scottish band from Edinburgh were absolutley HUGE in the UK in the early 70s! Their first hit was "keep on dancing" in 1971 with a different singer.....a few years later Les McKeown took over the vocals..and before long they had hit after hit..their own tv show....fame and fortune....and screaming teenage girls!!!!!
By 1975 "Rollermania" was slowing down in the UK they sucessfully achieved a number 1 in the States with "Saturday night".....strange as this single had flopped in the UK. This was followed by a few more hit singles including "rocknroll love letter" [ which was for some reason not released as a single over here in the UK]

A version with Les Mckeown singing.....

Love or loathe them..........the BAY CITY ROLLERS were very successful...

Attachments

• S_A050217-06_Bay%20City%20Rollers_Wouldn't%20You%20Like%20It.jpg
    S_A050217-06_Bay%20City%20Rollers_Wouldn't%20You%20Like%20It.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 89

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online