LG's Recommendation Thread

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I was thinking more of which version of his 3rd Symphony you consider his best, not a link. I see a version available, I'll check it out and post my thoughts in here after I've listened to it.

jackory

The NEW King of Pop
Reaction score
I was thinking more of which version of his 3rd Symphony you consider his best, not a link. I see a version available, I'll check it out and post my thoughts in here after I've listened to it.

Oh, sorry about that...I'm torn between the first and second movements of the symphony. There is a vocal part, I should warn you, but it is uncommonly exquisite (the Dawn Upshaw version) and it may not put you off like others. Gorecki's Totuus Tuus is awesome. too. You might like it even if you aren't into choral music.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I like chorale music fine Jac, I have Carmina Burana in the library and it is awesome, and quite a few other pieces with chorale accompaniment as well so no worries there.

Julie

Reaction score
... Because I got the permission from Lord Grendel to also give a recommendation: :D

Sergei Rachmaninov! I first got to know him when I saw the movie Shine, when I was 14 or so, been a big fan since. You should watch that movie if you're a Rachmaninov - fan as well, it's a good movie. (It's not his lifestory or something, but just includes Rachmaninov music)

I recommend this CD, if you like complex piano music, I'm sure you'll love it:
rach.jpg

Tracklist:
10 preludes, Op. 23:
No. 1 in F Sharp minor: largo
No. 2 in B flat major: Maestoso
No. 3 in D minor: tempo di minuetto
No. 4 in D major: Andante cantabile
No. 5 in G minor: Alla marcia
No. 6 in E flat major: Andante
No. 7 in C minor: Allergo
No. 8 in A flat major: Allegro vivace
No. 9 in E flat minor: Presto
No. 10 in G flat major: largo

Morceaux de fantaisie, Op. 3:
No. 1 Elegie in E flat minor
No. 2 Prelude in C sharp minor
No. 3 Melodie in E major
No. 4 Polichinelle in F sharp minor
No. 5 serenade in B flat minor

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Thanks Julez, I love Sergei myself and Naxos is a very good label as well. I have some of those I think, but I'll have to check and make certain...if not it will be on my shopping list for sure.:mn:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
After chatting with Tracey a couple of days ago, I'll post some laid back classical that is ideal for background music when you are reading or relaxing after a hard day.

First is Vivaldi's most famous work, "The Four Seasons". These compositions have been used extensively in all medias, from commercials, to movies to television shows, you have more than likely heard them all at some time in your life, but despite their popularity they still have that magic to attract and hold my interest. These belong in every classical music fans library.

Scan.jpg

Scan1.jpg

Next up is another piece of music I use to unwind after a stressful/hard day at work. Handel's masterwork and most famous orchestral piece, "Water Music". This piece was commissioned by King George I, and was performed on a barge on the Thames to try and win the people over to the new monarch's side, that is why it's called "Water Music".:D

Scan2.jpg

Scan3.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
My pleasure Sox, you have done the same for me with a few recommends too.:hab:

jackory

The NEW King of Pop
Reaction score
2598vwm.jpg

Sorry to barge in, Lord, but I HAVE to share this with anyone wanting to investigate instrumental choral music. It is, in my opinion, positively the best album of choral music I have ever heard. The Gorecki "Totus Tuus" and the choral arrangement of Barber's Adagio make this disc worth whatever it's going for these days. The RS Singers are flawless and the recording quality, as is the case with all Telarc releases, is spectacular.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online