LG's Recommendation Thread

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Been meaning to get to this for a while, so here is a thread for some classical music CD's that I have in my collection.

Seeing Sox asked for some music to get deeper into the genre here are two compilation CD's that I would recommend to anyone.

The first is "Dances Of Death" a collection of Darker themes from various composers, but it covers a wide spectrum of music so it's a good starting point. Plus it's on one of my favorite labels, Living Presence distributed by Philips, they are just amazingly good CD's.

My second recommend is another compilation CD, this one is "French Opera Highlights", and I'll bet most of you have heard these pieces before but just didn't realize who wrote them. Again it's on Living Presence, which is a guarantee of quality.

I don't know if these are out of print or not...but if you can find them they are awesome recordings and worth picking up.​

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Okay here are two more for my friend Sox. I would recommend both of these to anyone who was interested in classical music.

Rossini's Overtures, he wrote many operas which I don't like as a rule, but thankfully many versions of the Overtures from his most famous ones are available in compilations like the one I have pictured below.

Now here is a masterwork by Bela Bartok, two amazing pieces that have been used in so many movies and television shows over the years you will recognize many of them right away. I have three versions of this work, my favorite is the Fritz Reiner/Chicago Symphony version but the Levine CD I have scanned is very good too.

I would recommend playing these on your good stereo or surround, ear-buds just won't do them justice.​

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I guess YouTube wouldn't do them justice either through PC Speakers, though I just wanted to get some idea as to what I'd be hearing from those albums - Allegri did some great stuff like that just by sticking some sampled music from some of those Russian Composers! :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Although I didn't post any samples all the information is on the covers CP/M, and classical just doesn't sound very good on most youtube videos generally. Go to Grooveshark and see if they have a streaming version the sound quality they have is usually better. And Allegri used to post dl links which I am not going to do.

Julie

Reaction score
I'll look into that first CD, I like dark classical music. :)

Last edited:

jackory

The NEW King of Pop
Reaction score
LG, have you listened to any of Mahler's work? I saw you piece on Beethoven and the first thing that came to mind was "I'll bet he would dig Mahler". Mahler practically worshiped Beethoven and you can hear it in his music. I've got a link to a sharity blog that has a lot of his stuff for dl, if you haven't already discovered him.

Also, in my opinion, the most sublime "classical" music ever composed is the 3rd symphony of Henryk Gorecki's. I know this is your recommendation thread, but I had to mention it. :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Hey nice to have some company in here.:D

Feel free to post Gorecki's best version of that symphony in here Jackory.(I have all of Mahler's symphonies Jackory, but that is all, I am not a fan of lieders arias or opera, although I will give The Ring another chance.;))

Julez, please go ahead and put Rachmaninnov back if you want, I am a big fan of his myself.

jackory

The NEW King of Pop
Reaction score
Actually I don't have a link for the Gorecki, only the Mahler. :(

I like Mahler's symphonies best, too, though I also enjoy Das Lied Von Der Erde (especially the awesome last movement) and Kindertotenleider.

As for the symphonies...I think I will always like the second one best. After seeing a DVD of Claudio Abbado conducting the 7th it has become a favorite as well. My least favorite is the 8th, but it's probably just too complex for me to get into at this stage. Maybe in a few years.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online