Lemmy hates rap and pop music

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe

Reaction score
oh and, Motorhead isn't even what I consider metal wtf

Motorhead isn't metal? I'm not sure too many people would agree with this. I surely don't. I'm not a member of the metalhead community, but this statement is ridiculous. I'm baffled Kuaizi. I would say that Motorhead is one of the best representations of the definition of heavy metal.

If you don't consider it heavy metal, what would you call it? What a other genre would you put it in? I could see it in hard rock and/or speed metal. Other than that I can't see what else you label them, being a civil response of course.

Pop(ular) encompassess a huge time period and many forms of music from Al Jolson to Frank Sinatra to Justin Bieber. I guess one could go back even further than Al Jolson if one wanted to.

For me, to put that "pop"label on an artist is too vague and easy. Sure The Beatles could come under the "pop" umbrella, but so could most artists. What about Metallica's s/t album? It reached number One on the Billboard charts in 1991. So, at that particular time, Billboard was the chart most of the music industry went by. I guess one could call Metallica "pop" as well. Wasn't it a popular album at that time.

The Beatles could be put in more specific (sub) genres throught thier diverse career from Merseybeat in thier early years to psychedelic rock in the late '60's.

My definition of "pop music" is short, simple structured songs aimed at youger generations with soft, accessable melody. With that being said pop has changed it's definition over time.

I noticed Wolf mentioned "Bubblegum" which for me means a sub genre of pop in the era of '66-73 roughly which includes artists like The 1910 Bubblegum Company, The Music Explosion, The Partridge Family, and even early Sweet. Justin Beiber could also fit this sub genre as well though teen pop would be appropiate for this time period though I guess it could include Frankie Avalon back in the 50's as well.

A lot of my generation I grew up with here on the west coast of Canada considered Def Leppard a "bubblegum" metal band at thier height in the mid 80's. That might be different in another region in NA and Europe. That being said I was a huge Kiss fan when I was 10-12 years old in the mid 70's, so it's quite possible older generations at that time looked upon Kiss as I did Def Leppard.

I can somewhat understand where Wolf is coming from though I"m not in the metalhead "community" but I have known many people that were. It's more than the music in this community. From what I know it's also a belief, a conviction, a culture, a doctrine if you like which has views on different entities that go against the norm like the establishment of government, religion, other music, fashion, politics, etc. I'm sure Wolf will correct me if I'm wrong. I see it not much different than the punk rock community which I knew some very well back in the 80's.

There has been many different cultures based on music from the Mods in the 60's in the UK, punk in the late 70's, to hip hop, etc. Basically a way of life.

It's futile and done in vain to attack Wolf and his "music". He's not going to waiver as his convictions are too strong and for that I admire and respect him as some do relinquish thier beliefs and views.

So in summary, I see it as ignorance for one to wield thier wrath against a true metal head as you're going to get nothing accomplished except to make you and others upset. That's the way it is. No exceptions.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some can call it speed metal, heavy metal, rock n roll, whatever they want. Either way I will always respect Lemmy, Motorhead and the impact they have made on music.
Personally I think too big a deal is made of Lemmy whether he hates rap and pop or not.
I dislike both too to be perfectly honest.

joe

Reaction score
Riff Raff, he has every right to say what he wants. I believe in the freedom of speech whether if it's right or wrong according to my morals, beliefs, and principles. I can either respond or not, that's my choice and I hold these rights in very high regards.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^ Exactly. Thats why I dont see what Lemmy saying as a big deal lol

Kuaizi

Reaction score
Joe - to me, Motorhead is more like hard rock. I guess you can consider it metal too, as it was part of the evolution of metal (which I stated) - but correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Lemmy himself classify himself as Rock N Roll? It's just when I hear it, it doesn't register as "Oh, that's metal!" in my brain.
I think a more baffling statement would be Slayer isn't metal or Amon Amarth isn't metal. I'm baffled that you're baffled ;)

Also, what annoyed me about this thread wasn't what Lemmy actually had to say (you're right, he can say whatever he wants, just like you or I can), it's the fact his opinions were being used to "validate" other people's opinions, to then attack someone else's or a specific genre of music. (I keep stating this over and over again) I lashed out on Lemmy mainly because I'm just like - what makes his opinion so special? It's just an opinion, and it's not like it's evidence or anything substantial. I was a little hard him, but hey, we can all get a bit testy at times.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Joe - to me, Motorhead is more like hard rock. I guess you can consider it metal too, as it was part of the evolution of metal (which I stated) - but correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Lemmy himself classify himself as Rock N Roll? It's just when I hear it, it doesn't register as "Oh, that's metal!" in my brain.
I think a more baffling statement would be Slayer isn't metal or Amon Amarth isn't metal. I'm baffled that you're baffled ;)

Also, what annoyed me about this thread wasn't what Lemmy actually had to say (you're right, he can say whatever he wants, just like you or I can), it's the fact his opinions were being used to "validate" other people's opinions, to then attack someone else's or a specific genre of music. (I keep stating this over and over again) I lashed out on Lemmy mainly because I'm just like - what makes his opinion so special? It's just an opinion, and it's not like it's evidence or anything substantial. I was a little hard him, but hey, we can all get a bit testy at times.
I agree, that does seem that way sometimes. Also agree Lemmy basically called themselves rock n roll, can call it what you like tbh.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Who ****ing cares if Lemmy likes pop or not? I find that quite lame to be like, "Lemmy hates pop! Now my close minded opinion about music is VALID! I will hate on all the unbelievers! You fake Partridge Family Beatles loving metalhead wannabes!"
By the way,

HIP HOP RULES!!!

and

BAAAAAABY BAAAAABY BAAAABY OHHHHHHHHH!

oh and, Motorhead isn't even what I consider metal wtf

:bow::bow::bow:

Glad someone said it. :heheh:

joe

Reaction score

Isn't hard rock, heavy metal, and speed metal all considered rock 'n' roll Kuaizi? Maybe rock would be the better word to use. Rock('n' roll) is a huge genre from prog to metal to new wave to country rock. So ya, one could say Motorhead is rock('n'roll) as are the Ventures. I always considered the Ventures to be surf rock. It's just more descriptive. I guess I'm a little more fussy on details.

I'm not baffled that Slayer is metal though for me I always call Slayer thrash metal, again a sub-genre of metal which is a sub-genre of rock('n' roll). I just like to use more detailed labels{(sub)genres} to describe a band. It's a personal choice so when I'm refering to a band to someone it gives the other person more of a better reference to what the band will sound like, and vice-versa.

I use other peoples quotes all the time to help in explaining and validating my point of view, opinion, beliefs all the time so the one I'm conversing with will hopefully understanding more thoroughly I what I'm trying to say. IMO, I think most of us do.

Lemmy's opinion is special to some people, but maybe not to you, and that's fine. I'm a fan of Motorhead myself, but not hardcore, so his opinion doesn't hold the same degree with me as with others, and your case it holds very little.

For example, for me, I hold the opinions of Steve Howe, Steven Wilson, Alexis Korner, Arthur Lee, all in high regards as others don't as I'm a big fan of all these artists. That doesn't bother me if others don't.

We all have to careful when we're in the heat of the moment when discussing, debating, arguing and criticising our fellows passions in regards to certain genres and artists as we can be hypocritical. Hell, I'm guilty as charged. I "bash" certain artists and genres but I do my best not to direct it personal though sometimes others don't see that way and other times I do cross the line.

By the way, in regards to my use of ignorance in my previous post, in no way was meant as a negative connotation. Geez, I'm ignorant on most things.:D

I think you don't know where Wolf is coming from and where he has been. I was just trying to help people understand as I had a very good friend that was a "hardcore" in the metal realm from the same generation as Wolf, so I have some understanding where his thinking is and my intentions are not to speak on his behalf but to enlighten. I guess you don't know anybody that is in the same place. I don't know. If you did I would think then you would have some empathy and appreciation who he is.

Kuaizi, I took so long in responding back to you as I'm also watching a hockey game at the same time. I can't do two things at once.:heheh:

Reaction score
Let's make sure this remains about the music and the artist's opinion.. Just a reminder to keep it from getting to personal insults;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online

No members online now.