What do you think of this song? I had it on a mix tape

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
WElcome to the forum.
I'm not a big fan of 'hair metal' but it fits the metal genre well.
You might like this thread where that song would fit in nicely and compare well with others there.

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Welcome.. I'm one of those members who likes *choke* Hair Metal.. I know of Excalibur. I have this album and play it from time to time..

Jump on in and enjoy this place.. :brew:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Excalibur is hair metal? :nw:
Excalibur is straight up, good ole heavy metal, not even that “heavy” and from Britain no less…….

One Strange Night is a fantastic guitar driven, melodic, hard rocking album.

I like the song posted by @rafaelf600. I’d give it an 8/10.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Excalibur is hair metal? :nw:
Excalibur is straight up, good ole heavy metal, not even that “heavy” and from Britain no less…….

One Strange Night is a fantastic guitar driven, melodic, hard rocking album.

I like the song posted by @rafaelf600. I’d give it an 8/10.
To me they sound like many bands listed under glam/hair metal like Scorpions, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Poison, Whitesnake, etc....and they have big hair. ;)
But they arent on that list.....too small to get noticed?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
To me they sound like many bands listed under glam/hair metal like Scorpions, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Poison, Whitesnake, etc....and they have big hair. ;)
But they arent on that list.....too small to get noticed?
Doc you just stated what I have been saying for a long time….they all sound very similar. I don’t like the term “hair metal” because it is an attempt to define the genre by having long hair or the puffed up big hair. A lot of musicians of the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and so on….have long hair.

No, I feel the term “Glam Metal” is more suitable than hair metal. The genre is more defined by the the stage clothing & makeup (black eye liner) and of course those shaggy, teased in the air hair do’s (androgynous appearance).

The genre is basically defined by location, which would be mainly Los Angeles Sunset Strip or west coast.

Musically, glam or hair metal, is characterized by shredding guitar solos, popular songs, and ballads. The most notable band is Van Halen…and coming across the pond would be Def Leppard. Bon Jovi popularized the genre. Bon Jovi gets dissed quite a bit, but I like them. ;)

As far as Excalibur goes……they were still sticking to early NWOBHM formulas, but their musical stint was short lived. I believe if they would have continued, they might have gone after that more “popular” glam metal style. It’s hard to say which direction they were heading.

If you listen to the video @Slipn posted, it definitely is not hair metal….it leans more speed & thrash than glam. But there are also melodic glam moments.

It took me a long time of listening to heavy metal to fully understand and appreciate the differences.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Doc you just stated what I have been saying for a long time….they all sound very similar. I don’t like the term “hair metal” because it is an attempt to define the genre by having long hair or the puffed up big hair. A lot of musicians of the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and so on….have long hair.

No, I feel the term “Glam Metal” is more suitable than hair metal. The genre is more defined by the the stage clothing & makeup (black eye liner) and of course those shaggy, teased in the air hair do’s (androgynous appearance).

The genre is basically defined by location, which would be mainly Los Angeles Sunset Strip or west coast.

Musically, glam or hair metal, is characterized by shredding guitar solos, popular songs, and ballads. The most notable band is Van Halen…and coming across the pond would be Def Leppard. Bon Jovi popularized the genre. Bon Jovi gets dissed quite a bit, but I like them. ;)

As far as Excalibur goes……they were still sticking to early NWOBHM formulas, but their musical stint was short lived. I believe if they would have continued, they might have gone after that more “popular” glam metal style. It’s hard to say which direction they were heading.

If you listen to the video @Slipn posted, it definitely is not hair metal….it leans more speed & thrash than glam. But there are also melodic glam moments.

It took me a long time of listening to heavy metal to fully understand and appreciate the differences.
I'm just being ornery and dismissive when I call bands 'hair metal'. Glam metal is more accurate though even that is a catch all term. Some are actually decent players but many imho are just writing mediocre tracks with mediocre playing to jump on that band wagon for people who like melodic metal stuff. Too many of them sound alike and have no original identity.
I have always gravitated to more hard rock and classic bands who have something unique to bring to the table other than a 'look'. My grandaughter bought me a pair of socks 2 years ago that say 'Giant music snob' on them. ;)

Last edited:

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
This track sounds heavier than most "hair metal". Closer to German power metal bands like Blind Guardian or Steeler (the Axel Rudi Pell band). A very cool old-school metal sound.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online