Led Zeppelin (Official Thread)

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Tracks such as "Kashmir",among several others stand testament to Led Zeppelin's denial that they were a true hard rock/heavy metal band as they quite often experimented with alternate musical tastes and textures.A good example here is "Zep III" where there got into some great acoustics,having been inspired by Crosby,Stills and Nash.Obviously,they did indeed do several songs that do fit squarely into the hard rock/heavy metal framework,but apparently this lead some fans into believing that they WERE hard rock and only experimented with different kinds of music in some sort of pretentious attempt to impress critics.Pure nonsense,of course.You can detect earnest interest in many moods of the music medium in their soulful deliveries of non-hard rock material.I believe"Kasmir" will stand as timeless as "Stairway" and "Whole Lotta Love".

Radagast

Reaction score
Kashmir, is not only my favorite Led Zepplin song, it is my all time favorite song. I have asked that it be played for my funeral when I die.
:bow::bow::bow:

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Of course,"Stairway to Heaven" will always remain Zep's signature tune,but as far as quality of the recording processes goes,"Kasmir",at least in my mind" was more intense and inspirational as it seems to have been recorded with more passion,this,of course,being in large part due to the marvelous talents of the session players who provided the instrumental background that really makes this one work in terms of the emotional capacity of the track.As seminal as "Stairway" was,"Kashmir" goes to more involved lengths of creative splendor.Some have even gone as far as calling "Heaven" as possibly the most over rated rock record ever.I think its time on classic rock radio has been significantly reduced,but I recall the track being WAY too overexposed in this medium back in the 80's."Stairway" is a great rock song."Kashmir" more successfully lures the listener into its own magical and mysterious musical microcosm..........................

JimJam

Reaction score
Stairway to Heaven was over-played as far back as the '70s. I get tired of it in stretches but enjoy it most of the time. I've never gotten tired of Kashmir but I can say the same for other Zep recordings such as When the Levee Breaks. I did not fully appreciate Levee in the '70s, was too far into side 1, but it later emerged as a mind-blowing recording.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
That,my friend,is one of the key ingredients of a truly classic album.Depth both in the areas of individual songs as well as whole album depth."Zep IV" most certainly is well within these ranks.One classic rock radio classic after another.What more can one say.I didn't mention "Stairway" being overplayed as far back as the 1970's because I didn't even hear the song I believe until 1979,the same year I discovered Pink Floyd.Obviously I'm at least a half a generation behind you.Has anyone ever listened for the so called satanic messages people claim you can hear by listening to "Heaven" backwards?Actually,you don't even need to go through the effort.You can listen to the tune backwards on You Tube while they display what to listen for on the screen.Supposedly,in one passage you can "my dear sweet Satan",but I have to say that If I wasn't told what to listen for,I definitely would not have heard it.Even being told what to listen for,it was still quite a vague interpretation of the backwards vocals................

JimJam

Reaction score
That,my friend,is one of the key ingredients of a truly classic album.Depth both in the areas of individual songs as well as whole album depth."Zep IV" most certainly is well within these ranks.One classic rock radio classic after another.What more can one say.I didn't mention "Stairway" being overplayed as far back as the 1970's because I didn't even hear the song I believe until 1979,the same year I discovered Pink Floyd.Obviously I'm at least a half a generation behind you.Has anyone ever listened for the so called satanic messages people claim you can hear by listening to "Heaven" backwards?Actually,you don't even need to go through the effort.You can listen to the tune backwards on You Tube while they display what to listen for on the screen.Supposedly,in one passage you can "my dear sweet Satan",but I have to say that If I wasn't told what to listen for,I definitely would not have heard it.Even being told what to listen for,it was still quite a vague interpretation of the backwards vocals................

In the '70s, "Stairway" was winning FM radio polls as the "greatest" rock song, in New York anyway.

Ha, the only time i've heard about secret messages from playing a record backwards was with the Beatles and the "Paul is dead" silliness. The Simpsons spoofed this with a lentil soup recipe when playing McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed" backwards.

To me, "Stairway" concerns the time-worn subject of people linking earthly material riches with a golden afterlife and i personally leave it at that. There has long been chatter about the meaning of the cover and the symbols, blah blah, and Page was apparently into Crowley and the occult at the time. To use a British expression, i think it's tosh. I'm a simple man: Let the music shake me and i am satisfied. :)

JimJam

Reaction score
File Under: Ain't No Fool Like An Old Fool

Jimmy Page, age 71, is dating a 25 year old woman. No word on whether she changes his diaper.

1297651236488_ORIGINAL.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online