Led Zeppelin (Official Thread)

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
I remember reading about that gig gcc, and it always stuck out in my mind. The head banging thing seemed almost unprecedented at the time, and really was an indicator to the band that they had something fresh, new and exciting that was going to shake up the rock scene. It also gave the critics plenty of ammo to slam our boys because they had never seen anything like it, and then the 70's rolled in and everyone followed suit and they shut their traps. :****:

I'm trying to recall which rock star I remember reading about who was at an LZ show and had to plug his ears because they were so loud. Clapton perhaps? I can't remember. :heheh:
It was Clapton...good memory on your part. It was at some festival where they were both on the bill. Clapton felt they were good but didn't have to be that loud. The band had subtleties in their playing but even that was loud. LOL!

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Can't believe I remembered that when I have trouble remembering what I had for dinner last night. :bonk:

gcc, have you seen the vid of the "Layla" performance in the 80's with Beck, Clapton, Page and a slew of other rock legends for the ARMS Charity Concert series? Classic! :oyea:

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Can't believe I remembered that when I have trouble remembering what I had for dinner last night. :bonk:

gcc, have you seen the vid of the "Layla" performance in the 80's with Beck, Clapton, Page and a slew of other rock legends for the ARMS Charity Concert series? Classic! :oyea:
Yes, I have the Albert Hall one. It was a moving version with all three guitarists weaving the slow part of the song. Al Cooper throwing down the gong.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Presence gets better with every listen for me.
Achilles Last Stand is popular and I don't care how 'overplayed' people say it is. Its very much a classic. Candy Store Rock is another neat tune. My favourite in fact.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
1/31/69 Fillmore East, New York...

Press Review: As expected, Led Zeppelin destroyed the audience at the Fillmore East last weekend. Second show Friday night they remained onstage for 90 minutes of absolutely incredible musicianship up and down the entire blues scene.

The group's success here - their first album swung into both charts this week with sales figures well over 100,000 - was marred only by the fact that John Bonham, 21-year-old drummer had to return to England suddenly after his small child (Jason) had an accident that required stitches in his head. But he flew back in time for the Zeppelin's concert's in Chicago at the weekend. (J. Harris, NME, Feb. 1969)

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Nassau County Coliseum, Uniondale, New York 2/3/75

Led Zep Shows Why They’re One of the Great Ones

It’s been a long time since we rock and rolled, bellowed Robert Plant as Led Zeppelin stepped on stage at Madison Square Garden last night, for the first of six shows (three at the Garden, three at Nassau Coliseum), over the next two weeks. It’s actually been a year and a half since Led Zep’s last appearance. In the meantime, their cult has become so enormous that this is the longest and largest stand and rock group has ever done locally.

What’s up for grabs is the title of world’s greatest rock and roll band. There are only two other serious challengers, Rolling Stones and the Who. The Who have not made a major album in three years. In the last five years, the Stones have made four great ones, but only three of their six releases have sold 1,000,000 copies or more. Led Zeppelin have only made five albums – with a sixth shortly to be released – and all of them have sold more than a million copies. One of them, their fourth, sold over 2,000,000. The Stones may have the rep, but Led Zep have the numbers. (D. Marsh, NY Newsday Feb. 75)

Last edited:

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
2/6/75 at the Montreal Forum...

Press Review #1: The Rock show in Montreal: Led Zeppelin drives audience wild

MONTREAL -- The last of the loud British supergroups — Led Zeppelin — dropped its heavy metal rock on a packed house of 20,000 fans at the Forum here last night. The four-man group stomped and hammered its way through three hours of deafening rock, before a wildly enthusiastic audience.

Outside the arena, a police riot squad stood by ready to avoid a repeat performance of a riot which marked the visit of the Rolling Stones in the summer of 1972. However, there were no incidents.

Extra police were also assigned to curtail scalpers, some of whom claimed to be getting up to $50 for a single $7.50 ticket. Those who were lucky enough to have tickets heard a cross- section of the group's music over the past seven years, as well as new songs from an upcoming album, Physical Graffiti.

Guitarist Jimmy Page, dressed in black suit trimmed with silver sequins, played well despite the fact that he was suffering from a broken bone in the third finger of his left hand.

Vocalist Robert Plant bare chested and flopping his long, blond hair, was often overpowered by the sledgehammer drumming of John Bonham. John Paul Jones played well on the bass and keyboard.

Even, better than the music at times was the elaborate light show which turned the stage into a fantasy of revolving chrome spheres, and ever - changing color patterns on a veil backdrop.

The group flew in earlier yesterday from New York aboard a chartered $2 million Starship Jet, the same one used Elton John on his tour.
They returned to New York immediately afterwards, and they play there tonight. (A. Ferrante, Feb. 1975, Star)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Press Review #2: Led Zeppelin at the Forum

Nearly 20,000 fans packed the Montreal Forum last February 6, to see and hear Led Zeppelin's performance.

It was a thrilling moment for me when I caught my first glimpse of them. There was a majestic air about the sight of them on stage, and throughout the concert everyone seemed to be held in awe.

I was amazed to hear the multitude of sounds emanated by lead vocalist Robert Plant. He explained that this concert would be a spectrum of their work beginning with their latest album, "Physical Graffiti", soon to be released.

After the first hour they moved on to some of their earlier recorded songs. "No Quarter" featured John Paul Jones playing synthesizer and synthesized bass. John Bonham pleased the audience playing a thirty minute drum solo during "Moby Dick". He utilized a phase shifter, a device which makes the sound seem like it's traveling around the room, and had his tympani fed into a synthesizer that made him produce some unearthly sounds. At times I wasn't sure what instrument he was playing.

Jimmy Page demonstrated his musical creativity when he played his guitar with a violin bow, giving a whining sound to "Dazed and Confused".

They closed the concert with "Stairway to Heaven" during which hundreds of fans held lit matches in appreciation of their performing the song. Page's solo during the song was somewhat disappointing to me. He played some mushy chords instead of the vivid, clean fretwork I expected. The whole song seemed a little under par
Five minutes of continuous applause and yelling "We want more" brought them back for an encore with the crowd pleasers, "Whole Lotta Love" and "Black Dog", but that wasn't enough. Their second encore "Heartbreaker" brought the evening to a close after three and a half hours on stage.

Led Zeppelin is a professional group is every sense of the word. Their stage etiquette was the best I’ve ever seen. There are a lot of phony glitter groups on the market today that put on stage shows with smoke, fog and psychedelic lighting. Most of them need the diversions to cover up poor musicianship and writing ability. Zeppelin uses these devices to accent their music, not as a substitute for it. If they did they wouldn't be on top of their field as they are today. [A. MARCUCCIO/Feb.75]

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
2/8/75...at The Spectrum in Philly.

Press Review:Led Zeppelin Bring on the Light and Sound

LED ZEPPELIN brought its unprecedented sound-light spectacle to the Spectrum Saturday night, overwhelming a sell-out audience of some 20,000, with close to three hours of "heavy-metal" rock'n’roll.

The four-man British band - in the midst of an Ameri¬can tour, which will reportedly gross in excess of $5 million – has been preeminent among rock’s high-energy supergroups for almost six years. Now, augmented by a system of lighting and amplification higher in wattage than any mounted previously. Led Zeppelin seems to have outdone itself in sheer mind-zapping gut-wrenching intensity.

The keystone of that intensity – and of Zeppelin’s music in general - has always been the protean guitar playing and consummate blues-rock songwriting of leader Jimmy Page. Apparently recovered from an injury sustained before leaving Britain, when a train compartment door slammed on his left ring finger, Page is extraordinary as ever, and Saturday night he pulled off his virtuoso repertoire of searing, pinpointed licks, and apocalyptic chordings and classic guitar-hero postures with undaunted elan.

Lead singer Robert Plant, he of the sensual swagger and honey-blond charisma, provides the visual and musical offset to Page’s dominance. As usual, his singing – a trademark blend of shriekwail and heartbroken crooning – grew more commending as the night progressed (and in his customary note-for-note sparrings with Page’s guitar), while the steady throb-and-pound of drummer John Bonham and bassist – occasional keyboardist – John Paul Jones anchored the music’s unsettling modulations.

Performing a cross-section of new, recent and old material, Zeppelin assaulted its audience with such destructo-anthems as Dazed and Confused, Rock and Roll, the softly lyrical set-ups and explosive resolutions of Stairway to Heaven and No Quarter, the unfamiliar yet engaging dynamism of several songs from their upcoming Physical Graffiti LP. A highlight of the concert was Bonham’s masterly fifteen minute drum solo – worthy of the standing ovation it received – with its other-worldly synthesizer effects.

As for the unprecedented staging, the mammoth sound system, as promised, provided superb separation, mitigating the nitro-volume with compelling clarity, the lighting – an awesome network of stagebound and remote spots – evoked startling, vividly hued, richly varied visual atmospheres, although the much-heralded laser beam played (from where we sat) an indeterminate role. (M. Damsker / The Bulletin)

JimBob1983

Reaction score
Listening to Houses of the Holy, the experimental nature somewhat of this album is refreshing to me, was heavily panned by critics which usually means they did something right, don't sell out to make an album suitable to the critics.

I don't know whether I'd say this is my favorite as I don't think I could pick a favorite I love them all so much but I think this is the one I listen to the most. The only thing that bugs me is D'yer Mak'er, I just can't get into that song.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online