Lady Gaga steals from Dutch Rock Band!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^It's about the Money Feldy, most of the time it's the record label/publisher that takes action on behalf of their client to protect their profits.

You are referring to the landmark case the Chiffons brought against Harrison, their song "He's So Fine" and his copy, "My Sweet Lord". Watched this one on PBS when it took place and the judge didn't know anything about music. Saw a professor run both songs through a computer programmed to detect similarities between the two songs, and although their were some similarities there were also a lot of differences. Should have been thrown out of court in my view.

If you took all the songs ever published back to the 16th century up to now and put them through the same process, the results would be overwhelming in favor of "sampling" other peoples bits and pieces.

Absolute perfect rip offs, and I mean identical in all aspects musically then I would give them the judgement and award punitive damages, otherwise as you said "Shut the hell up and play."

:D

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
And another thing...why do the Dutch think that GaGa ever heard of "The Heideroosjes"? I sure haven't.

I don't really have an opinion of it either way, but if the song was ripped off the answer to this question would most likely be "producer"

I had this producer as well as a great manager who knew everything...

...even if it was a song at # 99 in Nagorno Karabakh Republic :heheh:

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
I have a singer/songwriter friend who wrote a song for his band and another band member gave him an opening guitar riff for it. Turned out that the riff was ripped off from ZZ Top. My friend wrote to the ZZ Top people explaining the situation but they were not too nice about it, and now my friend does not get 1 cent of royalties from his song, even though they re-recorded it with a different riff. ZZ Top said it was still similar. I don't hear it. Shitty world.

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
^^It's about the Money Feldy, most of the time it's the record label/publisher that takes action on behalf of their client to protect their profits.

You are referring to the landmark case the Chiffons brought against Harrison, their song "He's So Fine" and his copy, "My Sweet Lord". Watched this one on PBS when it took place and the judge didn't know anything about music. Saw a professor run both songs through a computer programmed to detect similarities between the two songs, and although their were some similarities there were also a lot of differences. Should have been thrown out of court in my view.

If you took all the songs ever published back to the 16th century up to now and put them through the same process, the results would be overwhelming in favor of "sampling" other peoples bits and pieces.

Absolute perfect rip offs, and I mean identical in all aspects musically then I would give them the judgement and award punitive damages, otherwise as you said "Shut the hell up and play."

:D

Patti Boyd aka Mrs. Harrison and Mrs Clapton claims in her Autobiography 'You Look Wonderful Tonight ', George banned radios from their home because of he was so paranoid and upset about that case..he wouldn't take a 'chance' of hearing a song .

I can see that it could happen unintentionally ..but if also I think theres a laziness to find new music too ..nowdays half the pop out there are remakes anyways...

I am not a Gaga fan at all but at least she tries to write new lyrics...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I agree Astrid, there are many instances in classical music to support the "unintentional" borrowing. But no one really said or did anything about it back then, composers were not universally wealthy, more like working stiffs struggling like everyone else. Later when publishing houses came into the picture is when the licensing etc. started to get complicated.

I believe Johann Sebastian Bach's old publishers still hold the rights to a lot of his music. The same family that bought the rights or commissioned the works still owns them lock stock and barrel. Bach's descendants don't get a penny(that I know of) for their great-great-great-great...grandfather's work.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
^^That reminds me of a great composer I was reading about the other day, he said something along the lines of "The melodies have all been done before, but the harmonies are limitless, thank gawd for that". I can't remember who it was but is sure resonates and goes back to something I've said for years, there is not much new in music, most of the notes and combinations have been written over the centuries.

I know that Frank Zappa was very vocal about how much he hated this sort of thing. I know I'm misquoting this but he said something along the line of "I'm so sick of hearing people play the same scales and same chords over and over again. That has no draw to me.". That's one reason why I respect Zappa so much as a musician. ;)

limpy

Penguin Power
Reaction score
Wow....I'm a little surprised by Lady Gaga.....has she got anything original? I guess everything these days revolves around money with record companies and smash hits...but wow....it sure does sound so similar!

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
Wow....I'm a little surprised by Lady Gaga.....has she got anything original? I guess everything these days revolves around money with record companies and smash hits...but wow....it sure does sound so similar!

But again, you do not know if she ever heard the Dutch song. And it is only the into riff, not the whole song. In any case, Lady GaGa is better.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Staff online

Members online