Lady Gaga steals from Dutch Rock Band!

Ezequiel

Reaction score
eMalahleni, South Africa & Delft, Holland
Just on the news overhere in Holland... Lady Gaga might be accused of Plagiarism. Her song Electric Chapel sounds very much like a song from the Dutch band "The Heideroosjes".

I will let you decide. What do you think?

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
They do sound very similar, but there are a shit ton of bands who have near similar guitar chords, and all that. With that being said however, this isn't the first time GaGa has been known to "copy" another artists's sound. Look at Born This Way for instance:

Now, listen to Express Yourself by Madonna

Specifically the chorus.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Seems to be more common these days than ever before, whether that is due to the sheer amount of music written and running out of new ideas or just by accident who knows...she's got plenty of money and prestige, I doubt it will leave a big mark on her if she is guilty of "sampling" someone else's song.

BeatleRose75

Reaction score
They do sound very similar, but there are a shit ton of bands who have near similar guitar chords, and all that. With that being said however, this isn't the first time GaGa has been known to "copy" another artists's sound. Look at Born This Way for instance:

Now, listen to Express Yourself by Madonna

Specifically the chorus.

:wtf: Wow i was thinking it sounded like Madonna's song ?

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
This is true for practically ALL of Lady Gaga's songs. Alejandro is Don't Turn Around by Ace of Base. There was a fourth one I heard about as well, can't remember it at the moment. I think I heard of a fifth but I'm not positive.

Personally, I don't give a crap. My first love was Led Zeppelin, I've never cared about copyright and I've always seen music as crafting something new out of what already exists. No musician creates in a vacuum, if we search far enough we can call everyone a plagiarist. But why would we want to? Let's just enjoy the music. If all of Gaga's songs were out-and-out covers that wouldn't change how I feel about her music at all. I listen to the music from Glee.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Yeah yeah yeah....Gaga "rips people off", Zeppelin "ripped people off", Metallica "rips people off". I think at this point, especially when it comes to rudimentary pop, that there are only so many notes that you can play in so many orders so similarities are bound to happen.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That reminds me of a great composer I was reading about the other day, he said something along the lines of "The melodies have all been done before, but the harmonies are limitless, thank gawd for that". I can't remember who it was but is sure resonates and goes back to something I've said for years, there is not much new in music, most of the notes and combinations have been written over the centuries.

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
^^^^ I absolutely agree Harmony. There is nothing new under the sun. the music for "Tonight We Love" by Freddy Martin way back in 1941 is adapted from Tchaikowski's First Piano concerto. Everyone knew it and no one was shouting plagiarism.

note: posted simulateously with LG

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
And another thing...why do the Dutch think that GaGa ever heard of "The Heideroosjes"? I sure haven't.

And I object to the title of this thread. The key words are "might be accused". Until she is proven guilty, she did not steal anything.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
And another thing...why do the Dutch think that GaGa ever heard of "The Heideroosjes"? I sure haven't.

I agree with this. And it applies to a lot of these cases.

For example, I like a bit of Joe Satriani, but I hadn't heard the song he'd done that Coldplay "ripped off" until it was in the news.

Who's to say Coldplay had heard that song previously? It certainly wasn't plastered over the radio or anything, at least not here.

And George Harrison, didn't he get sued for using the same chord progression as someone on "My Sweet Lord"?

I dunno, I don't like all this musician accusing musician of plagiarism. Let's all just shut up and play :heheh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.