KISS to play Michael Jackson tribute concert

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I never considered them, or even Duran Duran for that matter boybands because they were actual musicians and wrote their own material. To me, boybands are those groups like NKOTB, Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, etc... that were put together by some mastermind to make money off little girls, and the guys don't write songs or play instruments and are just there to look pretty and sell merchandise to little girls before they get old enough to ditch them because they're having real boyfriends.

YES to this!!!

ANF

Reaction score
the vast majority of pop music in the 60's would fall under that umbrella of "didn't write their own music". Hell, Elvis didn't write most of his own music, couldn't play a guitar out of a wet paper bag (was mostly just a prop), but he was still incredible in front of an audience and on vinyl.

I'm not defending boy bands, but to rule them out based on whether or not they wrote their own music or played their own instruments seems a bit naive.

You cannot compare the quality of talent that went into the songs from Motown, Elvis and the stuff to the cookie-cutter generic tween-bait of today's teen pop music. Listen to a Supremes song... then listen to Baby by Justin Bieber. Totally different zeitgeists in terms of quality. Elvis, Motown, etc... was built to endure and are classic songs that have lasted for generations... the teen crap that's come since the days of The Osmonds goes quickly to the bargain bins as soon as the little girls get too old, because the music isn't enough to keep them listening once their crushes are over. I know ladies who wanted to marry Paul McCartney when they were 12, and they still love his music today even if the "Mrs. McCartney" thing is something they grew out of 45 years ago. How many 25 year old girls do you know who still listen to 98 Degrees or Backstreet Boys except for the occasional "OMG remember this?". My niece is 24 and she used to want to marry Nick Carter when she was 11-12, she'll deny it now.

Trust me, I was a teenager during the N'Sync/BSB craze... it was awful. They were a totally different breed than the "teen pop" of the 60's. Their albums went straight to the used bins as soon as their fans grew out of it, it was audio fast food and it was meant for the moment and not built to last. Even as much of a factory as Motown was, they had the best songwriters money could buy and those songs are now timeless classics. The only way the 90's and more recent teen pop will ever be classic is in a kitschy sense the way Captain And Tennille are now.

Last edited:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Any moral artist wouldn't want his name associated with Jackson. When is KISS going to do a tribute to Osama Bin Laden? **** You Gene...This may be the last straw for me regarding KISS. Gene's greed turned me off to the band for many years--this is just too much.

Whether they do it or not just the fact that they were willing to makes me what to puke. I would have felt the same way even if Jacko-wacko wasn't a child molester but that just makes it 1,000 times worse.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^You could have a Tupperware Extravaganza invite them and let us know how it went Peter Norway...:D

There is another thread 70's G posted about KISS Not being part of this MJ Tribute, apparently the estate have not forgiven Gene for his comments about MJ's personal problems.

So maybe if you're lucky they are available for your party. :rs:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
You cannot compare the quality of talent that went into the songs from Motown, Elvis and the stuff to the cookie-cutter generic tween-bait of today's teen pop music. Listen to a Supremes song... then listen to Baby by Justin Bieber. Totally different zeitgeists in terms of quality. Elvis, Motown, etc... was built to endure and are classic songs that have lasted for generations... the teen crap that's come since the days of The Osmonds goes quickly to the bargain bins as soon as the little girls get too old, because the music isn't enough to keep them listening once their crushes are over. I know ladies who wanted to marry Paul McCartney when they were 12, and they still love his music today even if the "Mrs. McCartney" thing is something they grew out of 45 years ago. How many 25 year old girls do you know who still listen to 98 Degrees or Backstreet Boys except for the occasional "OMG remember this?". My niece is 24 and she used to want to marry Nick Carter when she was 11-12, she'll deny it now.

You're looking at the new bargain artists and ignoring the new lifers, while emphasizing the old lifers over the old bargain artists. 98 Degree may not have endured, but look at Britney Spears and Beyonce. I sure as heck know late-20-somethings who still bump that music just like anyone bumps McCartney.

Rest assured that 00s and 10s music, just like every generation in the history of music, will have throwaway artists and pantheon artists whom people your age will continue heralding as the "true, good pop" until the day they die. That's how it works, it's simply inevitable.

And I know plenty of 45 year olds who are still crushing on Paul McCartney.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online