King Crimson (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The "King Crimson" Thread

^^Those are great pic's Kath.

Have you picked up the 5.1 remaster of Starless and Bible Black? I have two versions, the original and a Japanese remaster..

kath

astronomy domino's™
Reaction score

Have you picked up the 5.1 remaster of Starless and Bible Black? I have two versions, the original and a Japanese remaster..

actually, no, i haven't. to be quite honest, before reap got all wake-of-poseidon-crazed, i was only really steeped deeply in two crimson albums, my two faves, in the court of the crimson king and discipline. may sound strange (noooo, you, kath? strange??) ... for my two most beluvved crimson albums to be two very different crimson albums, from different eras, line-ups, sounds, etc... but there you have it.

mind ya, in my wayward yute, i had heard all sorts of classic-era crimson post-court. i just didn't remember much of it, and i guess i got distracted by other things. i let the band lie til i picked it back up with a vengeance when discipline hit me and warped my frontal lobe beyond recognition as i starting college.

then reap got the remastered court and followed it up with poseidon. all of a sudden, i started to realize what i'd been missing all these eons.

a point. um, i think i had one. yeah, we will be picking up the rest of the crimsons one by one, i am sure. slowly but surely. keep in mind i still have my distractions (for me, it's brain damage and pre-senility. for reap, it's adult ADHD). for example, we've gone off on a van der graff tangent, *and* reap just got moving pictures in 5.1... i'm sure ya understand. mwhaha.

anyway, i don't even remember the original starless & bible black. the only other crimson album i can remember in detail is red, which is my third fave. i love it. i love the song red... and i especially love the song starless.

perhaps you can tell i am over-caffeinated? ahem. might be time to shave all eight cats or some damn thing.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I just picked up Moving Pictures 5.1 this week myself...so I understand.:D

No worries KC isn't going anywhere, and I already have all of VDGG's albums except a couple of newer live ones I think so Reap will enjoy himself no matter what.

joe

Reaction score

ya know, the frippster is such an odd beast, i think it's rather difficult to tell at any given moment what he feels about anything... unless, of course, yer in the audience at one of his shows, and you do something stupid, like try to take a pic of him. then you end up with a very snippy frippy indeed.

mind ya, i love the man. do you ever read his diary online? sometimes it's a real blast. one of my fave series of photos in there was when fripp put up pics last fall of steven wilson when he was hard at word remixing starless & bible black for 5.1. and the 'psychic horror' he did face...

22oct4x.jpg

22oct5x.jpg

22oct6x.jpg

Probably Fripp drove Wilson to drink. Both eccentric but I don't think Wilson has the arrogance of the Fripper.

I haven't read his on-line diary. TBH, I don't think I'd want to.:heheh:

I can't remember the exact words Fripp said to Bruford when he joined the band. Something along the lines like, you have done your time and welcome to the next level...

It's kind of ironic that Fripp was asked to replace Peter Banks after he left Yes and turned it down only later to snag Bruford from the band.

No question Discipline is a fantastic recording coming out the year it did, 1981 when AOR and pop/synth/new wave ruled the air waves. The addition of Adrian Belew and Tony Levin combining thier musical styles with Fripp and Bruford produced a stunning progressive album that the other prog giants from "the golden era of prog" couldn't come close to IMO with thier pop/AOR direction.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

ya know, the frippster is such an odd beast, i think it's rather difficult to tell at any given moment what he feels about anything... unless, of course, yer in the audience at one of his shows, and you do something stupid, like try to take a pic of him. then you end up with a very snippy frippy indeed.
yes I've been yelled at and told to stop immediately with a lecure try to take shots of fripp. Funny his last performances (we will see if they are really the last) I was allowed to take pictures. First real ones of Fripp.

when I got yelled at
262756356_899fca9c73.jpg

recently
5235876329_1ce8ec8637.jpg

Ember

Reaction score
My son discovered Thrak on my husband's iPod has been obsessed ever since. Although I knew about King Crimson, I never spent time listening to them. It's kind of funny to think it took my 7 yr old son to turn me onto KC!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That's one way to discover an old band Ember...:D

KC is one of the most unique bands in my experience, the only constant is Robert Fripp.

If you do decide to explore them more in depth, then check out the remixes that Steven Wilson(Porcupine Tree) did of the old albums with Fripp's permission.(Fripp might be as eccentric as the day is long, but he is smart, unlike many of his contemporaries he Owns the rights to all of KC's material.:bow:)

Ember

Reaction score
That sounds very interesting! I will have to do that Lord.
I mean, that would be the proper parent thing to do and encourage my son's interests...right? :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
LG is fine Ember...;)

I would check out "Red" first, it is one of their most highly thought of albums, I am not sure your son would be ready for "Lark's Tongue in Aspic" just yet...:D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online