Re: Kansas

Kansas played -

Carry On My Wayward Son
Dust In The Wind
Hold On
Portrait ( He Knew)
Miracles Out Of Nowhere
Icarus - Borne On Wings Of Steel

and maybe one or two others. It was right about 40 minutes.

Travelin' Man

Reaction score

I could go on for a couple of pages about Kansas. Steve Walsh is one of my all time favorite vocalists. I was first introduced to Kansas at the age of 14 while stoned out of my mind on (what was then known as) Columbian Gold. And while I recognized songs like Carry On Wayward Son, they were still relatively new to me.

After a morning of loading/burning up a one-hit bong with the aforementioned Columbian Gold, my buzz buddy Russ asked me if I'd heard the song Magnum Opus to which I responded "Nope." He promptly dropped the Leftoverture album onto my father's turntable and placed his Koss headphones over my ears. For the next 8 minutes and 26 seconds (it may as well have been an eternity) I went on an audio ride unlike anything I'd ever known before. An experience unmatched to this day.

I was a Kansas fan from that moment on and found so much more than just Magnum Opus to love and appreciate.

Cheyenne Anthem
What's On MY Mind
The Wall
Song For America
Point of No Return
Dust In The Wind
Icarus (Borne On Wings of Steel)...

and one of my all time favorite Kansas songs...

He Knew

Like I said, don't even get me started on Kansas.

I saw them in 1995 at one of the strangest of venues. They performed an outdoor show at a local bar in Urbana (neighbor to Champaign), Il. The "venue" had been carved out in the midst of a corn field. The joke to Steve Walsh that night was "build it and they will come".....and we did.

I was a Kansas fan long before that night and I'll remain one until I am indeed dust.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Great to have another "Discerning" Kansas fan in the house TM.:grinthumb

I have loved them since I bought Leftoverture, but I stopped at Audio Visions, I used to have Vinyl Confessions on vinyl but I don't have it anymore.

Fever

Reaction score

Only 40 minutes? I guess with three bands they had to have a shorter set.That sucks

runtfan

Reaction score

Only 40 minutes? I guess with three bands they had to have a shorter set.That sucks

Yeah, Kansas is clearly the "opener". Styx and Foreigner both played about 75 minutes or so - maybe a little more.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

That is backwards to me RF, I like Kansas more than either Styx or Foreigner, but I guess commercial success and selling tickets is the tie breaker when three old bands tour together like this.

Vic2010

Reaction score

I've loved this band for many years. They were my gateway drug to prog/rock. But they could ROCK too, and that's why I've loved them so much. In the last ten years I've seen them about 5-6 times. They're pretty accessible in South Florida and they usually play these State Fair type shows.

favorite albums are:

Leftoverture
Song For America
Point Of Know Return
Vinyl Confessions
Somewhere To Elsewhere

Haven't really been following them much in the last few years. They're still an all-time favorite. If I had to pick one song that defines this band for me it's "Magnum Opus." :bow:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Members online