Kansas (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Kansas

Steve Walsh sings on it,,and Dio as well,,,and the bass player from ARS...Kerry Livgren was the Heart and Soul of Kansas...when he became a born again Christian the band came apart shortly thereafter.

It is the Kansas album the band would have made if they hadn't started going different directions.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Livgren wasn't the only band member that became "born again" so did Dave Hope. And Walsh's replacement, John Elefante, was also a christian. Which explains why their music took a turn to the spiritual side. Actually, I believe the album, Vinyl Confessions released in '82, was almost as successful as Point of Know Return.

Kansas_-_Vinyl_Confessions.jpg

Hey, I have no beefs with the "white rock" or "white metal". Alot of this stuff is kick butt even if it does carry a spiritual/christian message!!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

It was part of Livgren's writing from the early days of the band, he was always exploring the spiritual side of things, plus he wrote almost all the lyrics and music. I had that record on vinyl, but I thought it was a notch below what I expected from a Kansas album.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

By the time Vinyl Confessions was released, all the christian magazines were picking up on the new direction of the band, and helped to trumpet the album to the masses of christian rock fans. The album was spotlighted in every christian magazine and periodical, so it is no wonder the album shot to the top of the charts.

Christian Contemporary Music magazine ranked this the number 1 album of 1982.

And of course the sound is different, and they lost a huge fan base. But in the end, they gained a new fan base who was spending money on the band, placing them back in the game. Which makes me wonder if this was just a ploy to make money.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I saw this coming when "Monolith" came out, the music had the hardest edge the band ever recorded and the spirituality of Livgren's songwriting unmistakable. I feel that Audio Visions is the last great Kansas album, before the schism.

I own Kerry's solo album, "Seeds of Change", the production/engineering quality is superb, I bought the CD the first time I saw it for $30.00 as an import...yeah I am a big fan.:D

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I'm going to sneak Kerry's solo album in here, and after all he was the biggest contributor to Kansas so I think it's fitting.

I bought "Seeds Of Change" on vinyl the moment I saw it in 1980 at Kelly's being a huge Kansas fan and I was not disappointed. Some of my favorite musicians played on this album and the songs, well if you liked Kansas you would enjoy these too. You know I didn't even realize that Livgren had undergone a religious conversion, all I cared about was the music not what was going on in the band members personal lives, but in hindsight the religious flavor is unmistakable. Don't let that put you off, this is a smokin' album, and showcases Kerry in his prime.

Mask of the Great Deceiver.

Stout

Reaction score

I never was a huge kansas fan. I always thought bands such as this were aping the British when it came to progresive rock. My biases towards the other side of the pond are coming to the fore.
They did have a few good songs, my favorite being `Song For america.' I will admit Steve Walsh had an excellent voice and his headstands behind the keyboards were fascinating. His voice was in shreds back in the 90`s. Maybe it has improved again, I don`t know.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

^^That song is preeeety gooood! :) I would have to hear the whole album, LG, to give a good opinion, though.

album-kansas.jpg

The Debut, released in 1974.

:tl:

1. Can I tell you (3:31)
2. Bringing it back (3:33)
3. Lonely wind (4:15)
4. Belexes (4:22)
5. Journey from Mariabronn (7:55)
6. The pilgrimage (3:42)
7. Apercu (9:43)
8. Death of Mother Nature suite (7:43)

Band Line up:

- Phil Ehart / drums
- Dave Hope / bass, backing vocals
- Kerry Livgren / lead & Rhythm guitar, backing vocals, keyboards
- Robbie Steinhardt / violin, lead vocals
- Steve Walsh / lead vocals, organ, piano, congas
- Rich Williams / lead guitar

This album has a Yes-like sound, and IMO it the most original of all the Kansas albums.

Death of Mother Nature suite

I really love the ending to this song it builds to an intense crescendo, a real progressive gem. This song packs a very strong enviromental message.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I picked that song because Ronnie James Dio was doing the vocals, and wanted to see if anyone guessed.:D

It is a great album...if you like Kansas you would not be disappointed in the least with Seeds of Change.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Fantastic band!!! If one is to start getting into these guys the two that are the cornerstone to their career would be LEFTOVERTURE and POINT OF KNOW RETURN IMO.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Members online

No members online now.