Kansas (Official Thread)

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Re: Kansas

I like Kansas. My favorite albums are their first two which are a bit darker and more prog related than the stuff that followed. I still like the rest of their 70's albums but not as much. I really haven't heard anything since the 70's although I like the Proto-Kaw's The Wait of Glory. Proto-Kaw is Kerry Livgren with a bunch of the original members of Kansas.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

Kansas was another one of those groups from the 70's that got better with each album.

Favorite song is "Fight Fire With Fire" from Drastic Measures. :cheers:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I am surprised KMET, I much prefer the earlier albums, that song is okay but when the band's line-up changed and Kerry Livgren left that was a Huge loss.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

Well, to clarify... the majority of their music that I like is from the 70's, but "Fight Fire With Fire" is my favorite song from them. :)

In the second half of the 70's here in L.A., Styx, Kansas, Foreigner and Toto were all over the radio. It was a virtual prog-rock schmorgesborg. :cheers:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Okay I understand, and it was a great time for "American Prog" bands.:tup:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I don't think Kansas was the most commercially successful prog band of all time. I think Genesis, Yes and, if you consider them prog, Pink Floyd and the Moody Blues were all more successful by almost any measure. I don't have any data to back up my assertions though...do you?
I will say that Kansas was certainly one of the best though...top 3 or 4 in my book.

OOPs! my bad. Runtfan you are absolutely correct. According to the RIAA, Pink Floyd is the most commercially successful with Genesis in the second slot for commercial success.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Kansas_-_Power.jpg

Power was released in 1986 with the reuniting of some of the original band members; Steve Walsh, Phil Ehart, and Rich Williams.

This album contained the hit single "All I wanted", which is a very sappy love song but received a lot of radio air time.

But don't get discouraged, the album was not a total loss.

Silhouettes in Disguise is more reminscent of the classic Kansas.

Secret Service has a great beat and the vocals are awesome.

We're Not Alone Anymore is another song with the classic sounds of Kansas.

Misicatto is especailly reminscent of Point of Know Return, excellent prog song!

Taking in the View another goodie, with some of the spiritual influence that Kansas has become known for.

This album is a hodge-podge of sounds, from pop to the classical progressive, I would still give this album high ratings. 4/5

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I would bet your mansion on the hill that Kerry Livgren's solo album is better than any Kansas album after Audio Visions...it is Epic!

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

^^you trying to rope me in for a suckers bet!! I cant take your dare, because I haven't listened to Livgren's solo album.

And besides, it is all a matter of taste. I may not like the solo album....who knows till I hear it :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.