Justin Bieber

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score
Bieber is proof that anybody can make money in the music business, so long as they're willing to let "producers" from the industry write what they think 12 year old girls want to hear. I'll bet if he had have gone on, undiscovered, he'd be cranking out some awesome music that most people would never hear, but would end up about ten million times more enjoyable to music fans--whatever the genre.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Anybody??? The dude had millions of views before he got discovered. I don't see how Bieber could possibly be used as an example of anything that ANYONE could do. Wouldn't it stand to reason that whatever appeal he had on Youtube has carried over into his professional career?

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Bieber is proof that anybody can make money in the music business, so long as they're willing to let "producers" from the industry write what they think 12 year old girls want to hear. I'll bet if he had have gone on, undiscovered, he'd be cranking out some awesome music that most people would never hear, but would end up about ten million times more enjoyable to music fans--whatever the genre.

Your logic doesn't make any sense. You say if he went undiscovered, he'd be cranking out awesome music. I don't think most or any 12 year olds have the technological experience and mentality to make their own music on their own without any help from producers or music businesses.

JimmyByrne09

Reaction score
Your logic doesn't make any sense. You say if he went undiscovered, he'd be cranking out awesome music. I don't think most or any 12 year olds have the technological experience and mentality to make their own music on their own without any help from producers or music businesses.
I think what he means, (and correct me if I'm wrong), is that if he had stayed as an undiscovered artist on YouTube putting up his original songs with just him and a guitar...he would have continued writing music, but his songs wouldn't sound as well-produced as the material he has released professionally; and therefore his artistic talent, and songwriting would have progressed to the point where he would start writing songs that might sound good to a wide spectrum of music fans. But during that time, he would still remain as just someone putting up their stuff on the internet. So the underlying statement I think he's making, is that because he got discovered when he did, and gained success as fast as he did, he had no intentions or reasons to change his style of songwriting, becuase he saw that what he had already gained him a HUGE following.

Personally, I don't think he would have anyways...he started out his career as a 12 year old writing songs about girls. And generally, people who start out writing songs like that, never grow out of it until they realize for themselves just how douchey and hilarious it makes them seem to a lot of people. Unfortunately, Beebz never got the chance...

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
I think what he means, (and correct me if I'm wrong), is that if he had stayed as an undiscovered artist on YouTube putting up his original songs with just him and a guitar...he would have continued writing music, but his songs wouldn't sound as well-produced as the material he has released professionally; and therefore his artistic talent, and songwriting would have progressed to the point where he would start writing songs that might sound good to a wide spectrum of music fans.

That's exctly what I thought he meant as well and I agree it was unlikely.

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score
JimmyByrne09 did understand the point of my message, although for what it's worth, I don't see how writing songs about girls shows that the guy was headed nowhere as far as being able to write songs goes (are you trying to say Motley Crue are douchey and hilarious? Heh). I stand behind my opinion 100% because I've seen countless musicians who started out at 10, 12 or 14 years old with talent on the instrument years ahead of their time go on to be come some of the finest session musicians in the studio and in live backing bands around. I'm trying to say I think the industry spoiled Justin; that instead of letting him get BETTER like I think he would have at his own.

To me, they plucked the fruit before it was ripe on the vine and got him doing the typical stage monkey, obligatory rap brake down, auto-tune synth pop trash that's been screwing up the FM air waves the last 10 years. They're making a killing off of him, and he's probably seeing quite a bit for it as well, but as a musician, they totally ruined him which, as a musician, I find to be quite unfortunate. I'll bet he'd have gone on to make remarkably enjoyable music--even if it had to be to a much smaller, niche audience.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I agree with you Dairenn, he is a "product" more than an organic musician. A sign of the times and a sad reflection on the Pop industry as a whole. Nothing personal against any of these youngsters getting success and wealth but their music will not stand the test of time.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I'm not sure why anyone who doesn't like Justin's music thinks he would have been some great artist if he never got signed. He's a kid... odds are he likes exactly the kind of music you hate, and odds are that's the kind of style he would play. I mean I strictly played acoustic guitar for 5 years but I always would have rather been playing in a big monster rock band like Crazy Horse or Nirvana... odds are if Justin could have been recording Baby and Never Say Never in his youtube days, he would have been. Would stifling his ambitions REALLY make him more of an artist? I think not.

As far as whether Justin's music will endure, only the cosmos knows whether it will or not. We could easily jump back in time and say that little Michael Jackson never would surpass the bopper crowd.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^It is a matter of time...but I just don't get the feeling that Bieber, Spears, Swift etc., will be relevant in twenty years, but Madonna might be even though I am not a fan of her's.

I meant no disrespect to these kids or their fans, but the music itself has nothing really unique to ensure it lasts, at least that's one old guy's opinion on Bieber.:peek

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.