Justin Bieber

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
seriously, wtf is with these pop shit threads???? this is a ****ing rock forum! duh

Clarasy.. For some of us full time regulars on here it get's boring just talking about Classic rock.. You have a point but if you notice in the pop threads, The regulars are mostly the ones who either hate or just enjoy talking about something different..
Do as I do.. Start a thread about a favorite classic rock band of yours and see how much feed back you get. Really.. some of us have been on here for years.. we see the same topics brought up by new members all the time..:cheers2

Back on topic.. Bieber..:bdh:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I agree completely with ILJP and everyone saying this is a music forum and that variety is the spice of life. *hugs you guys*

The reason classic rock and modern pop are, without question, my two favorite genres of music... is because they both are packed with hooks, with universal lyrics, with stark, emotive singing. For every one 10 minute jam any of the biggest classic rock bands did, they did ten 4 minute pop songs.

After rock music stopped being new and exciting for me, I spent a lot of time in the underground looking for things to make music feel new again. And I found a lot of cool stuff: indie rock, and black metal, and noise and riot grrrl.... What I found, though, was that this stuff would be new and exciting, but it wouldn't stick with me. I wouldn't still be listening to it a year later, I wouldn't learn every song by heart, it wouldn't become a part of me, like classic rock did.

What they were missing were the hooks and the universal lyrics. I never noticed, but classic rock and pop are closely related. If you look at an album like Blood on The Tracks, Petty's Wildflowers, Harvest, anything The Beatles ever put out... there are a lot more connections to Taylor Swift than there are to Arcade Fire. And hey there's nothing wrong with indie rock! But it is what it is. Monster choruses, lush organic instrumentations, modest production, simple song structures, stark vocals, honest lyrics about life and love... That perfectly describes Taylor Swift, and Tom Petty, and The Beatles.

If you wanna go listen to straight up noise music that's cool with me, I recommend Boyd Rice (a.k.a. NON) and Wold. But to praise Bon Jovi and categorically despise Justin Bieber doesn't make sense, and it may even verge on hypocritical. I mean you can say Jovi writes their own tunes... but if songwriting credits meant all that much to you, you'd never listen to Aerosmith's I Don't Want to Miss A Thing, Bob Dylan's debut album, or 50% of Led Zeppelin's discography! I mean heck, Roger Daltrey didn't write very many of the songs he sung, is he not a good vocalist? I have a hard time believing people really care all that much about who wrote a song. A good song is a good song, period.

Nobody here has to dig on modern pop. But to attack it doesn't make much sense when you look at the stuff you listen to... These are almost all chart bands, it's not like this is a black metal message board. And I'm sure glad it's not, because rock and pop are my favorite genres.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Going out just attacking other genres is pretty damn elitist too. An attitude that gets incredibly annoying to see.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
lololololol this is a humor forum

And I'll wager you haven't read .01% of the threads in here and yet are an expert already after...20 posts, not to mention you zero in on a thread that a lot of us have fun in...just for fun's sake the same as Katy's thread.:think:

I don't appreciate any new arrival calling us a "humor forum" in a derogatory fashion there are tons of great rock threads for you to visit.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Agreed LG. I never made the Katy thread to be serious (though I find her music very catchy) but it seems to have brought out the corny, fun nature in some members. :grinthumb

The thing I love most about CRF is that it is not conditional upon joining that you must only have an appreciation for classic rock, it is merely the common denominator amongst our members. We are free to show our interests in other genres here without ridicule or harassment. Perhaps if Clarasy posted more in the threads for artists she does appreciate rather than the ones she loathes, she'd have a better time here. :cheers2

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online