Judas Priest (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
If it's regarded as a ballad, Blood Red Skies is a scorcher of a tune, and one of my all time faves

Judas Priest - Blood Red Skies live (Epitaph DVD 2013)

Love this version!! I bought the Blu Ray of this and didn't think I would like it all as much without KK but I was REALLY surprised!! Very enjoyable!

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Desert Plains is a mellower track that always springs to my mind, I like a bit of light and dark on an album. An easier track that then leads into a real kicker works for me.

Pappy

Reaction score
I remember the moment I got into Priest. The day Rob announced he was rejoining the band Eddie Trunk had Ripper Owens on his radio show. Now I'd heard Breaking The Law, YGATG obviously on the radio but they were just another song on the classic rock station. Anyway there I was falling asleep while Eddie was talking to Ripper and they played a live track from the Live in London DVD.

I shot out of my bed thinking holy smokes! Next day I rushed out to buy the Live in London cd. Played the crap out of it. Took me a good long while before I gave the Halford stuff a chance. I thought there was no way he was better. Then Angel Of Retribution came out and I popped in the bonus live DVD.

Well turns out I was wrong.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
K.K. Downing Opens Up About Leaving Judas Priest

KK-Downing-Kevin-Winter.jpg

Source Link

Judas Priest fans were shocked in 2011 when guitarist K.K. Downing left the band he founded in 1969. In a new interview, he spoke in depth about his reasons for leaving, and the differences in the industry between now and when he started.

“I just wasn’t enjoying it anymore,” he told The Midlands Rocks. “A lot of things had changed. I think I counted about 30 reasons why I didn’t want to do it at the time, and that is an awful lot of reasons. In all honesty, I think that in so many respects it had run its course.”

Downing hesitated to use the word “retirement,” however, because it suggests that he’s physically unable to continue playing and going on tour. But the current state of the music business means that there’s more interest in nostalgia than in creating something new.

“Priest became about going out and playing live and replicating exactly what people had enjoyed 10, 20 or 30 years ago,” he said. “The fans would be just as happy if they could see us bin all of the modern guitars we now play and take them on a walk down memory lane, because I think that’s what people enjoy most. And I understand that, because if I could go out now and see Eric Clapton with Cream, then I would be the happiest person in the world.”

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
It's almost like the proverbial "Catch 22".

You spend years crafting songs, perfecting your playing then finally make a massive breakthrough in one of the toughest businesses there is and then the same songs/albums that made you wealthy and famous are the ones fans want to hear when you perform, even if you are promoting your newest recording. I always wonder what guys from the 60's really think when they are playing one of their hit songs for the 10,000th time...:hm:

KK sounds to me like he felt Priest was a "tribute band" in everything but name. But if he's not happy then he did the right thing, leave and let the lads carry on if they want.

Pappy

Reaction score
I absolutely love how all along KK never bashed his former band and ALWAYS encouraged people to go out and see Priest during the Epitaph show. You notice he never went into details on why he left while Priest was on their tour therefore avoiding being a distraction. One of the classiest guys in metal for sure.

It had to be frustrating releasing a double album that he was very proud of and playing a tour supporting that album and only playing 2 of those songs.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Priest was more or less Ken Downing's band. God love him for realizing it had become more than the sum of it's parts. Truly a class act.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Rob Halford to Appear on Star-Studded Episode of ‘The Simpsons’

Rob-Halford.jpg

Countless celebrities have made cameo appearances on ‘The Simpsons‘ over the past 25 seasons. We can now add Judas Priest frontman Rob Halford to the list.

Entertainment Weekly reports that Halford will make his ‘Simpsons’ guest spot during a particularly guest-heavy episode scheduled to air in January 2014. Titled ‘Steal This Episode,’ it finds Homer Simpson voicing his displeasure with movie theaters by illegally downloading films and setting up a neighborhood screen in his back yard. “Even though Homer is stealing, he’s doing it for the community, he’s doing it out of the goodness of his heart,” explained the show’s executive producer, Matt Selman.

Homer’s new hobby puts him at odds with an FBI agent (voiced by Will Arnett) and sets in motion a chain of events that includes Halford singing the Judas Priest classic ‘Breaking the Law.’ Other celebrities lending their voices to the episode include Judd Apatow (who also contributed the script for one of this season’s shows), Leslie Mann, Channing Tatum and returning ‘Simpsons’ guests Paul Rudd and Seth Rogen.

Halford’s ‘Simpsons’ cameo serves as part of a fun-sounding start to 2014 for Judas Priest. Shortly after the episode airs, he and a few of his fellow bandmates are scheduled to take part in the rock ‘n’ roll fantasy camp ‘Hell Bent for Vegas.’

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
It's almost like the proverbial "Catch 22".

You spend years crafting songs, perfecting your playing then finally make a massive breakthrough in one of the toughest businesses there is and then the same songs/albums that made you wealthy and famous are the ones fans want to hear when you perform, even if you are promoting your newest recording. I always wonder what guys from the 60's really think when they are playing one of their hit songs for the 10,000th time...:hm:

KK sounds to me like he felt Priest was a "tribute band" in everything but name. But if he's not happy then he did the right thing, leave and let the lads carry on if they want.

But at the same time, he and every other successful musician should understand that the fans are what pays their meal ticket. They tour becuase that is where they make money, they don't make diddly shit on album sales. When you are a newer band, you want te get as much of your music heard by as many people as possible (or so I would assume) because that's how you create a fan base.

I heard a couple of yrs ago when AC/DC was touring for Black Ice that they played 5 or 6 songs from the new album. No offense to anyone, but if I bought tickets to that tour, I sure as hell don't want to hear 5 or 6 songs that no one knows. I've seen it in the past and it takes the momentum out of a concert and the fans will still cheer, but typically the audience takes that time to go take a leak, grab a refill or uses the time to say to each other "why the hell are they playing this?"

One or two new songs in a concert for a band that has been around for 30+ years is plenty. JM2CW.

I'm not sure if that's exactly what he's elluding to or not. I saw Priest on the Nostradamus tour and it was kind of weird because they did probably 4 songs from that album and most the audience had no clue what to think during those tracks.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online

No members online now.