Jon Bon Jovi VS Steve Jobs

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
I've heard of people trading live shows that weren't copywritten but not officially released material. Call me naive but I wouldn't participate anyway. I am on the artists side on this matter.

I'm a musician and in a band. Do not try to say you are on the artist side when a good amount of them could care less if someone downloads their stuff for free. They themselves even say records sales are not what makes the band money. Well I call you a hypocrite since you made friends tapes yet complain about downloading for free.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Where did I say specifically that I enabled anyone? I used a kid getting a tape as an example but no where did it say I gave it to him. Nice try. Are you using Tales of Terror's unique, individual situation to justify stealing someone's art? No, I am a music fan that respects the fact that artists should be paid for their work. Technology has just made it more efficient for people like you to pilfer their art. Bands do have to make their living on tour selling tickets and merchandise because people upload their music on bit torrent sites for people to steal. Thanks for helping me make ny point.

Just be blunt and call me a petty theif scumbag instead of lacking a spine to do so and saying people like myself.

Also in regards to that nice job making an assumption. I pay for music and download.

Bands have always made money on touring and their merchandise sales. Record sales just helped get them more money. I didn't help make your point at all. You are just trying to twist words to support your dinosaur thinking.

Hardnecker

Reaction score
That is a fine distinction...but alright I see what you mean.

There is no turning back the clock now Hardnecker, I wrote a thread a couple of months ago about who could go back to buying vinyl and give up the digital formats we have now...last time I looked it was 3 to 1 in favor of those who can't go back to the analog days of buying music.

Mud is right, bands depend on "working their butts off" touring for their money now, when I was his age it was the other way around, you toured to promote your new record.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds, another way of distributing music along with a more equitable way for artists to make a living and keep the ownership of their creations hopefully. Besides along with the bad side of the internet, it also allows bands access to more fans than ever before. We'll just have to see what rises out of the ashes, and sure some artists are going to struggle, but that has been going on for centuries, it's only since the 50's till recently musicians became millionaires...before that they all struggled just to pay the rent.

When Rush decided to release the two new songs, I was open minded until my only option was mp3. My preference is lossless audio. Government Mule, a band I like, has their shows available in mp3 and flac off of their web site. I think it is brilliant the way they have that set up. I'm sure they pocket more than their fair share of the money, as they should, and it gives their fans the option to purchase the shows they want. I wish more bands would follow their model. Considering the afforementioned, I am not opposed to all music downloads. Just the illegal ones.

Hardnecker

Reaction score
Just be blunt and call me a petty theif scumbag instead of lacking a spine to do so and saying people like myself.

Also in regards to that nice job making an assumption. I pay for music and download.

Bands have always made money on touring and their merchandise sales. Record sales just helped get them more money. I didn't help make your point at all. You are just trying to twist words to support your dinosaur thinking.
If you're downloading music for free you could purchase then the shoe fits doesn't it? It's pretty cut and dry. I've told my own friends and family that they are full of shit for doing so, because they are.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
If you're downloading music for free you could purchase then the shoe fits doesn't it? It's pretty cut and dry. I've told my own friends and family that they are full of shit for doing so, because they are.

So that means you are calling me, LG, and anyone else on this forum a scumbag who downloads for free. Stay classy bro!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I don't want any personal insults...I have no problem with Hardnecker's stand on this issue, even though I disagree with him.(I don't think all people who download illegally are scumbags either.;))

Let's keep on topic and moving the conversation forward, as soon as it starts repeating itself I for one lose interest.

Hardnecker

Reaction score
I'm a musician and in a band. Do not try to say you are on the artist side when a good amount of them could care less if someone downloads their stuff for free. They themselves even say records sales are not what makes the band money. Well I call you a hypocrite since you made friends tapes yet complain about downloading for free.

Please highlight the quote where I said I made tapes for friends.

Hardnecker

Reaction score
I don't want any personal insults...I have no problem with Hardnecker's stand on this issue, even though I disagree with him.(I don't think all people who download illegally are scumbags either.;))

Let's keep on topic and moving the conversation forward, as soon as it starts repeating itself I for one lose interest.

A little harsh, I'll admit. I stand firm. Stealing is stealing. I'm over it.:)

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
Going back to the original post, where Bon Jovi states that Steve Jobs is "killing" the music business.

There need to be a distinction there, I think. The music business is the record companies and the $$$$ that comes with it.

I read a great quote at the end of Eric Clapton's autobiography where he basically stated, "No matter what happens to the record companies, the promotors, there'll always be someone making music they love".

So long as there's someone making rock music, making blues music, pop music or metal, or any other genre, music will survive and express itself. It survived years before the music industry, and it can survive afterwards. And that's what's important.

:cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Staff online

Members online