Jon Bon Jovi VS Steve Jobs

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
This just in, the artists are part of the industry. They deserve to be compensated for their art. Sure, it is in the best interest of some band no one's heard of to put their music out there for free for exposure. I'm not talking about the local bar band that plays to 25 locals every Saturday night. I'm referring to established bands that have a catalogue of copywritten material that "fans" are uploading for people to steal. I agree, Bon Jovi has it wrong. What I'm describing is what has destroyed record/cd sales. It's a known fact. Call me a dinosaur but I support the artists I like rather than steal from them.

I'm not talking about local bar bands either. But you keep thinking you know it all so I can continue to laugh. You and Bon Jovi need to wake up to th real world.

Do you go to shows? Do you buy shirts of theirs?

Please......... Stop acting like buying an album is THE only way to support a band.

Last edited:

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Oh....and there's this.
"Copyright law protects the value of creative work. When you make illegal copies of someone’s creative work, you are stealing and breaking the law. Federal law provides severe civil and criminal penalties for the unauthorized reproduction, distribution, rental or digital transmission of copyrighted sound recordings. (Title 17, United States Code, Sections 501 and 506). The FBI investigates allegations of criminal copyright infringement and violators will be prosecuted. That means you need the permission of the copyright holder before you copy and/or distribute a copyrighted music recording. For all the public confusion, a long series of court rulings has made it very clear that it’s against the law both to upload and download copyrighted music without permission. It doesn’t matter whether you’re dealing with sound recordings, pictures, software or written text. The courts have consistently ruled that P2P and other unauthorized uploading and downloading inherently amount to copyright infringement and therefore constitute a crime. Are there occasionally exceptions to these rules? Sure. A "garage" or unsigned band might want you to download its own music; but, bands that own their own music are free to make it available legally by licensing it. And, remember that there are lots of authorized sites where music can be downloaded for free. Better to be safe than sorry – don’t assume that downloading or burning is legal just because technology makes it easy to do so. Criminal penalties for first-time offenders can be as high as five years in prison and $250,000 in fines." Wow....it's against the law too. Fancy that.

Pot is against the law yet I still smoke it.

Last edited:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Pot is agains the law yet I still smoke it.
Just because you do something that is against the law, knowing full well it's against the law, doesn't make it ok to do. whether than be doing drugs, downloading songs via any number of non-legit sites, driving 60mph in a 45 zone, beating your kids, robbing gas stations, etc.

Not exactly the best 'comeback' there.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Just because you do something that is against the law, knowing full well it's against the law, doesn't make it ok to do. whether than be doing drugs, downloading songs via any number of non-legit sites, driving 60mph in a 45 zone, beating your kids, robbing gas stations, etc.

Not exactly the best 'comeback' there.

It's not a comeback. It is simple regardless of laws it is going to happen.

Tell someone not to do something and they will want to do it. That is not the case with me since I download music for free since I have a hard time finding those albums and even if I have it downloaded on my computer I go and I find the album I buy it.

I am not too worried about smoking pot just because the government can not find a way to tax it and I'm no too worried about downloading music for free just because some greedy assholes want more money on top of what they have.

Morals are subjective btw :D just thought I would point that out.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
It's not a comeback. It is simple regardless of laws it is going to happen.
gotcha, and you are correct.

Morals are subjective btw :D just thought I would point that out.
Very true, however the laws typically are not subjective.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hard up against 'sharing' music. I believe that the vast majority of people that do it, do so for their own listening pleasure and not for the purpose of financial gain. Along the same lines, most people will never get caught and/or prosecuted for doing so. But again, by law, that doesn't make it ok.

I have numerous beefs with the recording industry and how they conduct their business. I won't go into all of them, but one that I DO have an issue with is out of print material. I understand that after a certain point, the bottom line (financially) has to come into play with low volume sales on many releases. BUT, they do still own the music. The recordings are simply collecting dust in a vault somewhere. Why not help out those artists by at least releasing these albums via legit download. I would have no problem buying digital downloads of OOP releases if they were made available.

The only stickler I'd have with it is if was done via iTunes and their shitty quality songs. Release the songs in flac or some other lossless format, I'll guarantee you that I would be buying some long lost albums.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
gotcha, and you are correct.

Very true, however the laws typically are not subjective.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hard up against 'sharing' music. I believe that the vast majority of people that do it, do so for their own listening pleasure and not for the purpose of financial gain. Along the same lines, most people will never get caught and/or prosecuted for doing so. But again, by law, that doesn't make it ok.

I have numerous beefs with the recording industry and how they conduct their business. I won't go into all of them, but one that I DO have an issue with is out of print material. I understand that after a certain point, the bottom line (financially) has to come into play with low volume sales on many releases. BUT, they do still own the music. The recordings are simply collecting dust in a vault somewhere. Why not help out those artists by at least releasing these albums via legit download. I would have no problem buying digital downloads of OOP releases if they were made available.

The only stickler I'd have with it is if was done via iTunes and their shitty quality songs. Release the songs in flac or some other lossless format, I'll guarantee you that I would be buying some long lost albums.

I know what you are saying when it comes to laws not being subjective, but most are based on subjective morals. So in a way they are and are not.

Yea I agree. I think the majority of people who download download it to just listen to it themselves and keep those files seeding so others may do the same. I have really yet to hear about anyone selling stolen music files honestly. I mean itunes in a sense is doing so when they sell music with out the artist's permission, but other than that I have not heard of that.

Most of the bands I listen to are bands that are undeground metal and punk bands. So if I am going to buy an album I go through the record company they are signed to online or try to pick it up at a show if they have any left. Usually I will download the album for free to see if I like the band if they were recomended to me or I will listen to it on youtube and if I like it I will see if the local record stores have em. If no I buy blank cd's and download the music and make the CD so I can listen to it.

One of my favorite bands their albums were out of print for years since they were not active. The only way to get their albums was to download it for free unless you wanted to pay $30-$100 to buy a used original copy of them.

I just gotta laugh at people like Bon Jovi who complain.

Hardnecker

Reaction score
I could care less if downloading is legal or illegal. Because I download an album to get a feel for the album, and then I purchase it. So...i'm basically hitting two birds with one stone. If downloading were so bad, they would close down all the websites that allow it. I understand there are copyright issues, but it's music, and if it means I will get to listen to a band that I like, I honestly don't care.

This pretty much sums it up now doesn't it? You know you're stealing it and don't care. We could of avoided a lot of rhetoric had you came clean initially instead of trying to justify what you're doing is no big deal. Thanks for the clarification. It's about time.

Hardnecker

Reaction score
I'm not talking about local bar bands either. But you keep thinking you know it all so I can continue to laugh. You and Bon Jovi need to wake up to th real world.

Do you go to shows? Do you buy shirts of theirs?

Please......... Stop acting like buying an album is THE only way to support a band.

Stealing their music is one way not to support them. What I do know is that you, your mentality and your actions are a microcosm to why record sales have plummeted and the artists who created the music get screwed, By YOU! Come to grips with it and have a nice day.:)

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Stealing their music is one way not to support them. What I do know is that you, your mentality and your actions are a microcosm to why record sales have plummeted and the artists who created the music get screwed, By YOU! Come to grips with it and have a nice day.:)

Please tell me you are not this blind. Artists have been getting screwed more by the industry itself than they have by free downloads.

I support the bands I listen to that are still around thank you :)

Don't be mad hardnecker.

Last edited:

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
This pretty much sums it up now doesn't it? You know you're stealing it and don't care. We could of avoided a lot of rhetoric had you came clean initially instead of trying to justify what you're doing is no big deal. Thanks for the clarification. It's about time.

Bolding one sentence of a whole post and ignoring the rest of what he said pretty much sums up the type of person you are, doesn't it?

Thanks for showing your true colors.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online