Jon Bon Jovi VS Steve Jobs

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I have been lenient and allowed lots of stuff go in this thread,,,but it's wearing out now. Hypocrite, sheep, scum....I don't want to see anymore comments with any of those descriptive words aimed at anyone.

I have managed to post in here without insulting anyone, and Hardnecker did use his term generally not personally even though I disagree with him.

I have said my piece, no more circuitous insults will be allowed in this thread.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Its funny how the word "pirating" went from being when you obtained media and illegally distributed it for financial gain to being used to describe when a teenager has no money, wants to listen to music and downloads it for his own personal use.
And if some "teenager with no money" wants to eat a candy bar and snags one from the local gas station for his own personal use, it's ok right?

I'm going to start charging you for reading my text. Its not physically real, but I CREATED IT. I POURED MY HEART AND SOUL INTO WRITING THIS FOR YOU. Therefore I absolutely REQUIRE YOU PAY ME FOR PROVIDING YOU WITH THESE TEXTS.
when you COPYRIGHT your text, you might have a leg to stand on with this sort of argument, but until then, the comparison doesn't work. Not even a little bit

Oh, and have you ever lent a CD to a friend? Well, enjoy life in prison.
"life in prison"? where are you getting this gibberish?

But seriously, man. Taking a copy of a song from the internet and taking a CD from a local HMV without paying is different. What if when you picked the CD up, another one would just instantly appear? Without using any resources, just, like magic, pop up.
So, because when it's "on the internet", there is no "physical" copy. Therefore, it's ok to share this piece of "nothingness" because you are a poor, unfortunate soul who has the money for a computer, an mp3 player and I have no clue how many other things in life, but just doesn't want to afford to purchase music, and justifies theft as a way of making it "ok". It is theft, whether you want to admit it or not and regardless if you are going to continue doing it. The act is still criminal in most forms of online file sharing with the exception of some forms of purchasing and some free downloads that are legitimate.

What if you were a starving person with no money, and someone had a machine that could make an unlimited amount of hamburgers without wasting and resources? Would you think it was right for that person to refuse them a burger since they have no money?
Is it really stealing? No, its them not making a POTENTIAL DOLLAR. There is no stealing involved. ITS ALL POTENTIAL MONEY. Odds are, the person with the unlimited Hamburger machine is pretty well off.
Another example that doesn't work with this at all. I ~do~ see what you are trying to say and prove here, but it doesn't work. Why? Because such an invention does not exist. What if I could teleport from point A to point B? Would that take away from the fuel industry? sure. But since it's not possible, the example doesn't work. To go more with your example, if I could teleport but needed fuel to do so, but I have this wonderful machine that can create fuel out of thin air.... am I stealing from the fuel industry? Again, no because such a device does not exist.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I don't listen to digital music or buy digital music period. Never have, never will. End of story. Guess that makes me an uptight stick in the mud.

I don't believe Jon Bon Jovi is complaining about Steve Jobs to help the "music industry" as a whole. It is all about his own "brand" (it's not even a band anymore) and his own wallet. That's just what I think.

At some point, someone shoved a paper in his face saying Bon Jovi product sales were down for a week, month, quarter, whatever, and he stewed on it for awhile. Next opportunity he got, he lit into Steve Jobs in the most public forum that came along.

However, I agree with Jon on the dislike of digital music and I do agree that it is a bad thing for the industry, at least for lesser veteran artists who aren't necessarily as successful as Bon Jovi who used to be able to count on a certain arbitrary number of album sales each time out with a new record.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online