John Lennons Murderer Denied Parole 7th Time

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I don’t see why Chapman should be treated any differently to any other killer who shoots somebody, just because he shot John Lennon that doesn’t make him Public Enemy #1, or make the crime any worse or any less important than some guy who gets gunned down on any street corner, it just makes him more notorious and a better news story is all, for me Chapman doesn’t deserve any special attention or a longer sentence or more hate aimed at him just because he gunned down a famous rock star, that’s all just celebrity-culture BS. I live just a couple of blocks from the Dakota Building and the Strawberry Fields memorial/Lennon shrine on Central Park West, and though I have been out of town on vacation I’m pretty sure they probably threw a huge party down there the other day when it was announced about the parole thing. We have no idea about Chapman’s mental state, of if he will ever be considered suitable for release, but if he eventually dies in jail an old man after 60 years incarceration or whatever, whilst many other equally evil killers get parole or walk after 20 years (as often happens) simply because his victim was an ex-Beatle, then that’s pretty idiotic. In my view his crime was unforgivable and he should never be released, because a life sentence to me should mean for life, but a celebrity life has no more value than the life of the countless obscure people who get gunned down in US cities everyday, only more news value maybe.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I always enjoy your take on things TS...but in this instance I think there is a difference in this case.

Chapman specifically targeted Lennon because he was famous, he had never been hurt either physically or emotionally by anything John did. There was no reason for it other than killing a celebrity to get notoriety for himself in his twisted little mind this seemed like the way to go about it.

Certain people have left a "bigger footprint" for lack of a better word and I consider John one of those. Sure he wasn't perfect, and some could argue a little bit of a hypocrite but his intentions were noble later in his life. He was a proponent of improving the "human condition" and as such his murder is different than the normal routine ones we see day to day.

I am not in favor of keeping people like Chapman locked up, when there is no doubt about the guilt like this case he should not be a burden on the taxpayers or the penal system, he should be fertilizing the ground somewhere that's about the best use he can provide now.

TheSound

Reaction score
^^I always enjoy your take on things TS...but in this instance I think there is a difference in this case.

Chapman specifically targeted Lennon because he was famous, he had never been hurt either physically or emotionally by anything John did. There was no reason for it other than killing a celebrity to get notoriety for himself in his twisted little mind this seemed like the way to go about it.

Certain people have left a "bigger footprint" for lack of a better word and I consider John one of those. Sure he wasn't perfect, and some could argue a little bit of a hypocrite but his intentions were noble later in his life. He was a proponent of improving the "human condition" and as such his murder is different than the normal routine ones we see day to day.

I am not in favor of keeping people like Chapman locked up, when there is no doubt about the guilt like this case he should not be a burden on the taxpayers or the penal system, he should be fertilizing the ground somewhere that's about the best use he can provide now.

Hi LG, well premeditation applies in most homicide cases, so if you want every murderer with a celebrity fixation to go to death row, then that's a whole other debate. Though Chapman was I believe only ever charged with second degree murder, which doesn't carry the death-penalty even in the hang-em/flog-em states, of which New York isn't one of them, and he only got 20 to life, not even the maximum allowed under New York law. He's definitely psychotic, and probably a pretty sick and delusional person, though I'm obviously not a shrink, but I appreciate that wanting Chapman dead is an understandable and emotive reaction I guess with some music fans.

But like I said I don't personally differentiate between the value of each human life based on the victim's celebrity or talent or fame, I've always rejected the crass modern celebrity culture that tells us that we are less worthy people than the rich and famous, and that they are untouchable Gods who should be protected from all the evils of the world that the rest of us have to deal with. John Lennon was just a guy from the back streets of Liverpool who sold a ton or records, but to me that doesn't make his murder any more cruel or tragic than the 29 year old school teacher who got brutally stabbed to death in her own home in Staten Island a couple of weeks ago that I was reading about...I wonder how we should measure the value of her life against a rock stars' life, or wonder how many hundreds of kids are better and wiser people today as a result of her teaching and her guidance over the years?

By the way, I am looking forward to the new Dylan album 'Tempest' released in a few weeks, and he's written a new tribute song to John Lennon on the record, it's called "Roll on John"

Last edited:

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I don’t see why Chapman should be treated any differently to any other killer who shoots somebody, just because he shot John Lennon that doesn’t make him Public Enemy #1, or make the crime any worse or any less important than some guy who gets gunned down on any street corner, it just makes him more notorious and a better news story is all, for me Chapman doesn’t deserve any special attention or a longer sentence or more hate aimed at him just because he gunned down a famous rock star, that’s all just celebrity-culture BS. I live just a couple of blocks from the Dakota Building and the Strawberry Fields memorial/Lennon shrine on Central Park West, and though I have been out of town on vacation I’m pretty sure they probably threw a huge party down there the other day when it was announced about the parole thing. We have no idea about Chapman’s mental state, of if he will ever be considered suitable for release, but if he eventually dies in jail an old man after 60 years incarceration or whatever, whilst many other equally evil killers get parole or walk after 20 years (as often happens) simply because his victim was an ex-Beatle, then that’s pretty idiotic. In my view his crime was unforgivable and he should never be released, because a life sentence to me should mean for life, but a celebrity life has no more value than the life of the countless obscure people who get gunned down in US cities everyday, only more news value maybe.

:clap:

As always TS, you are way better at expressing yourself. That was perfect.

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
I will NOT argue about The Justice system being fair or unfair in this country.

We ALL know that its not..so really its personal opinion to me.

However, I don't believe Mark David Chapman should be locked up forever BECAUSE he shot John Lennon..
He should be locked up BECAUSE he killed someone in cold blood. In a public place where OTHER people could have been hurt.

MDC shot JOHN four times but there were 5 SHOTS fired ONE went into the wall behind him ..how would you like to have you child delivering papers or your wife walking by ? Thats ONE reason

the second is simply victims rights

His family and friends don't want him out.
His life is not anymore valuable then anyone elses..I don't believe this for one second. He was someone husband..someones father..like anybody else..he deserves to have the person who took his life..pay for his crime.

We let criminals out for all kinds stupid reasons I agree..but in this case we KNOW w/o a doubt who did the crime..and that the murderer is mentally off balance..

this IS a fact..its not a maybe..

Death on Credit

Reaction score

This is a very good point...However, from a humanist perspective, Mark David Chapman absolutely deserves to be treated differently than other murderers. Just not for the reason that most people jump to.

You're right that he isn't necessarily any worse than any other cold blooded murderer locked up (many of whom would have gotten off on parole by now). There is a difference though, in that those killers wouldn't have a furious mob crying for their blood waiting when they got out. Can you imagine what would happen to Chapman if he were to be released? He wouldn't last five minutes. His only hope for relative peace and safety now is locked away behind prison walls, where there are guards watching over him. At this point, he probably is not a threat to the public, but the public is an enormous threat to him. If I were him, I'd be thanking my lucky stars that I wasn't granted parole.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I never thought of that angle DOC, I've missed your keen powers of observation.;)

However I think it would be poetic justice if he did have a Fatal accident befall him in prison, if I was a guard I could almost guarantee he would fall from a great height and not get up again.

Yeah I'm a barbarian, and admit it.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Absolutely agreed with all of this. Great post. I consider crimes like this unforgivable regardless of who the victim was, nevertheless there was a victim who had his life taken out of his own hands. Automatically deserve life in my eyes.

This is a very good point...However, from a humanist perspective, Mark David Chapman absolutely deserves to be treated differently than other murderers. Just not for the reason that most people jump to.

You're right that he isn't necessarily any worse than any other cold blooded murderer locked up (many of whom would have gotten off on parole by now). There is a difference though, in that those killers wouldn't have a furious mob crying for their blood waiting when they got out. Can you imagine what would happen to Chapman if he were to be released? He wouldn't last five minutes. His only hope for relative peace and safety now is locked away behind prison walls, where there are guards watching over him. At this point, he probably is not a threat to the public, but the public is an enormous threat to him. If I were him, I'd be thanking my lucky stars that I wasn't granted parole.
Again another good post. Thing is though when it comes to the public being a threat I don't consider it any different to the public outrage when a serial killer is getting transferred from the court to the prison. The public want that persons blood for what they did and can't blame them either. Particularly serial killers of children.

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Lennon's Killer Wants To Remain In Prison

by Billy Dukes from Ultimate Classic Rock Magazine

Last week, Mark David Chapman was denied parole for a seventh straight time since serving the minimum of his 20 year to life sentence for shooting Beatle John Lennon. That seems to be what he wants. The convicted killer says that if were granted parole he would “probably stay right where I’m at.”

ABC News reports that transcripts of the parole board interview reveal that Chapman considers himself a fully institutionalized man. “I’m so bonded that I could probably assure you that, if released, I’d probably stay right where I’m at,” he says. “You know, once you stand on a rock for 20 years and feel the waves on you and you don’t go anywhere because you’re on a rock, you don’t want to move.”

Then again, if released Chapman says he’d live with a minister in New York and begin doing odd jobs the minister had offered him in correspondence. The 57-year-old says he’s found God in the years since the 1980 killing. In fact he claims God performed a miracle for him just days before the Aug. 22 interview, but he wouldn’t say what it was.

“The timing of it and the importance of it, were so great and I cried for half an hour.”

Chapman revealed that he targeted Lennon simply because he was the most famous of the six or seven targets he had in mind. Johnny Carson and Elizabeth Taylor were others he considered. He met with Lennon just hours before the Dec. 8 killing, and says Lennon was patient with him as he gave him an autograph. After this he was conflicted, but decided to go ahead with his plan.

“If he was less famous than three or four other people on the list, he would not have been shot.”

This was posted on Ultimate Classic Rocks Magazine Facebook page

after the post there were a butt load of comments regarding it.
Mostly from blood thirsty angry Beatles fans, i BTW am NOT one of them ..I hate what he did..I don't HATE him..I feel as that bit indicates up there ..that he DOES in fact suffer from mental illness..STILL..

I agree completely with those points made by DOC ..IF he ever got out..he'd be shot down by an angry mob ..

Also I agree that Life In Prison MEANS life why should anyone be up for parole ?

The last point I'd like to make and then I'm done with this subject..

I don't think anyone deserves special treatment or attention because a celebrity was murdered. It's true that I am a fan of John Lennon ..I won't say that this case doesn't recieve plenty of media attention . And that many lesser know crimes go unknown. Murders walk free for simular or worse cases. This an inbalanced legal system.

Because John Lennon is famous , this gives his murder case more power. That can't be denied . But IF you had the power to keep a person who murdered you family or friend in jail..you can't say that you wouldn't use it ?

Julian Lennon, Sean, Yoko, May Pang and several people (inc myself) wrote letters to the parole board. They used their power to keep Chapman in jail.

but thing is EVERYONE has the right to do the same thing in any case.

20 Years ago a young woman and her toddler (who was a student in my preschool at the time) were brutally murdered by the babydaddy in my town. Nobody remembers the murder much anymore..but everytime that piece of crap comes up for parole ..I'm in the courthouse protest it. I write the parole board..I sign the petitions...I DO something..I don't sit around complaining that the justice doesn't work and John Lennons murder gets special treatment blah blah..

Lastly, Being famous DOES effect the law, but lets remember that that it goes both ways

There are PLENTY of crimes that musicians and celebs get away with BECAUSE they are famous..can buy their way out of/powerful lawyers etc

Several musician would be sitting jail for child molestation
vehicle homocide ..murder if they didn't use their power to get away with it..

TheSound

Reaction score
Nobody is forcing Chapman into parole, you don't just get a parole hearing, you either have to apply for it yourself, or you have to have somebody refer you to the parole board for a hearing on your behalf, so I don't get why he's been through 7 parole board hearings if he doesn't want to be released, he could just say "I'm good, I'll die here in my cell" and since his sentence is 20 years to life, he could do that. I love it that he thinks if he was ever released he could just be an 'odd job' man around his local church, and presumably live happily ever after, this is just an example of how delusional he is, he's probably one of the 10 most notorious living prison inmates in the world, it's like Charlie Manson saying "free me and I'll go and help old ladies doing their groceries", or the Yorkshire Ripper getting released and wanting to spend the rest of his life as a Lollipop Man/crossing guard outside his local elementary school.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online