Joe Bonamassa (Official Thread)

opera races

Reaction score
Re: Joe Bonamassa

The latest issue of Classic Rock magazine (I've had a subscription like forever) has a cover story on Joe Bonamassa and includes a "free" 12 track Joe Bonamassa CD called No Hits, No Hype, Just The Best.

1. Blue and Evil
2. Dust Bowl
3. The Ballad of John Henry
4. Sloe Gin
5. Miss You, Hate You
6. Black Lung Heartache
7. The Battle For Hadrian's Wall (w/Black Country Communion)
8. One Last Soul (w/Black Country Communion)
9. Sinner's Prayer (w/Beth Hart)
10. Woke Up Dreaming
11. Palm Trees Helicopters and Gasoline
12. Asking Around For You

I'd heard of and about Joe Bonamassa for years but hadn't gotten around to actually checking out his music. With this CD I didn't have any more excuses :heheh:

I listened to the CD a few times and also read the magazine article and notes about the songs (in the magazine) before I began forming an opinion. I do think it is interesting how Joe and his manager pretty much do their own thing and run "the business of Joe Bonamassa" themselves without an association with a record company, a record deal, big management of the other usual trappings of the music BUSINESS as many musicians have done on the past. They also have a regular producer they have used since 2006.

As for the music itself ... I like Joe's guitar playing for the most part. As I think someone already mentioned, he's not one of those listen to me play all this crazy $#@! aren't I f###### great types but allows his more understated style to speak for itself. On the tracks where he does the vocals he has a decent enough voice I like listening to. I haven't quite picked out a favorite track yet. Sloe Gin definitely got my attention right away but I like almost all the songs on this CD pretty well for one reason or another.

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score

I have....

Blues Deluxe `03
Sloe Gin `07
The Ballad of John Henry `09
Live from the Royal Albert Hall `09
Black Rock `10
Dust Bowl `11

And now I can add one more......

Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa

Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa | Official Site

1. Sinner's Prayer 4:28
2. Chocolate Jesus 2:38
3. Your Heart Is As Black As Night 4:59
4. For My Friends 4:10
5. Don't Explain 4:32
6. I'd Rather Go Blind 8:05
7. Something's Got A Hold On Me 6:02
8. I'll Take Care Of You 5:12
9. Well, Well 3:40
10. Ain't No Way 6:47

Last edited by a moderator:

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score

Recorded on May 4, 2009 at the Royal Albert Hall in London, England. Released on September 22, 2009.

Disc 1....

1. Django 3:28
2. The Ballad of John Henry 6:47
3. So It's Like That 2:54
4. Last Kiss 7:18
5. So Many Roads 6:20
6. Stop! 5:42
7. Woke Up Dreaming
8. Further On Up the Road 5:38
9. High Water Everywhere 5:07
10. Sloe Gin 8:22
11. Lonesome Road Blues 3:06

Disc 2....

1. Happier Times 6:51
2. Your Funeral My Trial 4:16
3. Blues Deluxe 9:16
4. Story of a Quarryman 5:16
5. The Great Flood 8:04
6. Just Got Paid 11:26
7. Mountain Time 10:53
8. Asking Around for You 11:06

My Source: Joe Bonamassa / Home

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score

I have been playing the Black Country Communion Live Over Europe album almost non-stop over the last few weeks. They are a bit like Led Zeppelin in that they belt most things out, but Glenn Hughes has light and shade in his vocals and Joe Bonamassa, being a traditional blues-rock guitarist, can ebb and flow. This may be controversial, but I do not think Jason Bonham is uninhibitedly loud like his dad, nor does he rely on monotonous double-kick drums, rather his work is tasteful and keeps everything together. Derek Sherinian plays in a style somewhere between the soloing of Jon Lord and the symphonic support of . . . well, I'm not sure. If I have a complaint and it is very minor, I would like to hear a bit more of Derek Sherinian. I pray that they hold it together for at least one more album, to give him chance to really shine.

Lead vocals are mainly handled by Glenn Hughes, as you would expect, but they are shared with Joe Bonamassa, beyond being a token gesture. Joe sounds a bit like Glenn Hughes, but without the lungs from hell, and they harmonise well together. It's good to hear Glenn not singing with another shouter, and without backing from a full-on shredder. If Glenn had not become less strained with age, I would say this reminds me a bit of Medusa-era Trapeze with Mel Galley. It is a tribute to Joe Bonamassa, that Glenn has worked with some fantastic guitarists, like Mel, Ritchie Blackmore, Pat Thrall, Tony Iommi and others, but has not made a better album.

One of the standout tracks for me, is The Ballad of John Henry from one of Joe's solo albums, and it is refreshing to hear someone with Glenn's back-catalogue not relying on his own past. Nevertheless, I would not object to hearing them cover Coast to Coast, Sail Away, Soul Mover or Bonham Snr's Rock 'n' Roll.

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score

:grinthumb Thanks to Electric Funeral for recommending and reminding me of the new Joe Bonamassa CD...

I just picked up ''Dust Bowl'' Sunday and after listening to it a couple of times - I can say it's great album - probably the best album of the year so far.

12 songs - not a bad song on the CD...

These are the stand-out tracks for me...

Dust Bowl
Tennessee Plates (an upbeat country rockin' tune with special guest John Hiatt)
The Meaning Of The Blues
The Last Matador Of Bayonne
Heartbreaker
No Love On The Street
Prisoner

Thanks again, EF!

:cheers2

And oh yeah...if anyone is into rockin' blues...go out and pick up this CD!!

61Nt%2BJd3opL._SS500_.jpg
This is a kickass album.. been playing it alot these past days :grinthumb

EDIT: I stumbled upon this picture that was taken in 1936.. looks like the album cover:

ap3601010667.jpg

Last edited:

rtbuck

Reaction score

Wow, I just seen Joe Bonamassa in concert last night & all I can say is Wow!! I've been having a few rough days with my back & yesterdaywas no different. I was planning on taking it easy but my wife came home from work & asked if I was up to seeing Bonamassa. We decided not to go but within seconds from that a friend of mine contacted us on the internet & said he was to ill to go & asked if we wanted their 12 rows from the stage tickets!!! Of course we said yes &had a great time. I'm paying for it today but over the weekend I'll write up a review

Nimbus

Reaction score

Wow, I just seen Joe Bonamassa in concert last night & all I can say is Wow!! I've been having a few rough days with my back & yesterdaywas no different. I was planning on taking it easy but my wife came home from work & asked if I was up to seeing Bonamassa. We decided not to go but within seconds from that a friend of mine contacted us on the internet & said he was to ill to go & asked if we wanted their 12 rows from the stage tickets!!! Of course we said yes &had a great time. I'm paying for it today but over the weekend I'll write up a review

Yeah, Bonamassa is awesome in concert. I saw him in a small venue a couple of years ago (either 2009 or 2010), and he put on an amazing show. He definitely does a nice variation of electric and acoustic songs that really showcase his talent.

Fever

Reaction score

He is coming to a theater near me but the cheapest tickets are 70 dollars.That is out of my price range.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online