Joe Bonamassa (Official Thread)

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
Like SDM I am not familiar with Gwyn Ashton. I will have a listen.

You really should try Sloe Gin BE.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Ok, I've listened to a couple of tracks from Gwyn Ashton's "Fistful Of Blues" EP. I was immediately hooked on the track "Take You Home Tonight" which sounds a bit ZZ Top-ish:

I'll definitely have to dig deeper into his discography!

I hope you enjoyed Sloe Gin, BE. Great album!

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Sloe Gin - some thoughts

Ball Peen Hammer - I've got Chris Whitley's original, but I am not sure Bonamassa's isn't better.
One of These Days - Is co-written by Alvin Lee and is the heaviest track. Sadly, there is no sign of Alvin Lee playing on the album.
Seagull - A brave move to cover this, but Bonamassa acquits himself well. He tends to give it a folky feel as he does elsewhere on the album.
Black night - Well sung and a great guitar solo.
Jelly Roll - I never liked John Martyn as much as I wanted - his guitar playing is great, but the slurred voice is an acquired taste. Bonamassa does a great job here and should cover more of John Martyn's songs.

Overall, I really like the album for its tasteful playing, seventies influences and, dare I say, British influences? Yes, SDM, definitely enjoyed this and will keep listening.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Gwyn Ashton has been compared with Rory Gallagher, which is probably unfair on anyone, but what do you think?

Last edited:

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
People are always going to compare, BE, whether it's fair enough. I wouldn't say Rory was the first thing I thought of when I listened to him, in fact, I got a ZZ Top vibe on one track, but since you mention it, I guess it's not a far stretch. But I'd have to listen to him more to really say for sure. My impression after a couple of tracks, is that he has a individual enough sound to stand on his own feet.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online