Jethro Tull (Official Thread)

Fug

Reaction score
Re: Jethro Tull

^^Like so many other artists it's hard to "Let Go", and Ian is no different. I have already mentioned the fact he can't pull off the vocals anymore earlier in this thread, and should concentrate on his instrumental works instead.

No matter what the body of work he and Tull have left us is stupendous, one of my top ten bands of all time.:tup:

The late 60's to early 80s Jethro Tull are, and always will be my all-time favorite line-ups. Just thinking of the many, many magnificent Tull shows I've had the privilege to attend during this period sends chills down my spine. I can live with Anderson's voice problem, what I can't understand is the changing line-up that can very from show to show. One Tull show in 2006 didn't include Martin Barre. The Tull that is touring as we speak is Anderson, Martin Barre, and three sidemen and or woman depending on the show. Some shows will feature Ian's son, James "Duncan" Anderson on drums in place of Doane Perry. Aside from Doane, Martin and Anderson, NOT ONE of the other players have EVER appeared on a Tull album.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I think it would be unrealistic to expect a lot of the original members to be included in any of the tours since the 90's. They all left Tull for whatever personal or creative reasons and as long as Ian Anderson wants to tour using the name, that is what's going to happen. I am glad Martin is still there, and many other bands are touring with one member left from the earlier line-ups. If the people still want to see them and buy tickets then I guess they'll keep touring indefinitely.

Rocker440

Reaction score

Radio really went overboard playing "Locomotive Breath" and "Aqualung" and I got pretty burned out of those two songs, but I always liked "Cross-Eyed Mary", "My God", "Hymn 43" and "Wind Up" and they are all still great songs today. Excellent album overall. :cheers:

FM radio is still doing that, too. Some stations only play certain songs, which is fine, I guess. However, some people who listen to the stations (assuming that there are still a few :heheh: ) might not realize there are quite a lot of other, extremely good, songs by many bands.

Stand Up was the first Jethro Tull album that I heard, thanks to my older bro! It caught my attention very quickly, not just because it had the stand up figures inside the jacket, but more importantly for the fantastic music on that great release! Although I know that many peoples favorite maybe Aqualung, which is another superb album, I've a very special fondness for Stand Up, and always will! :)

I also thoroughly enjoy Bursting Out. Originally a two album set it was a extremely good representation of their live performances, too! Which brings me to a couple more of my favorite Tull albums.

200px-Stormwatch_%28album_cover%29.jpg

Dark Ages - Stormwatch

Elegy - Stormwatch

For various, and exceptional, reasons this album is a personal favorite. I saw them for the first time on the Stormwatch tour. Barriemore Barlow is a phenomenal drummer. I had a great viewpoint to very much enjoy his talents, capabilites and styles at this show. As this tour was basically with the same line up as was on Bursting Out, it was even more significant, at least to myself! :cheers:

A sidenote; when Bursting Out was released on the cd format, two or three songs were omitted (due to time limitations? :confused: ). I believe the European edition was a two cd set that included the original track list. :grinthumb

Another Christmas Song - Rock Island

Rock Island has many excellent songs on it, as well. Although the band has had numerous line up changes throughout the years, save Ian Anderson and Martin Barre for over 30 years. I feel they've done an excellent job of progressing with each release, too.

Jethro Tull are a long time favorite band, with a large catalog of both great music, songs and also memories, for myself and for many others as well!

:tup:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I saw the Heavy Horses tour Rocker440 and one or two of the songs on Bursting Out might have been recorded at the concert we attended. I remember Ian taking a moment to tell us they were recording material for a live album so we were all Hyped Up!

I always include Barrimore Barlow in any top 10 drummers of the 70's list/poll, he was one of the best beyond any doubt.

Rocker440

Reaction score

^^^Cool, LG! Perhaps we can hear you yelling all sorts of crazy things out in between or even during some songs? Do you recall which songs? ;)

I do remember at a few shows a band member, usually the singer, would tell everyone that the show was being recorded. There are many weird people, or perhaps I should rephrase that, some people that do strange things at concerts, that I 've been to, and some were people that I knew at the time! Of course, I was never one of those select few! :tongue::lmao:

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Got to say what a great band got a whole cd shelve devoted to them. These are one of my favourite live acts.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Another Tull fan in the house.:tup:

I have seen them 3 times over a 20 year period Sox, I just love this band.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Now there is a band, saw Ian play with Heep in London, he was something else. He is very good and the band are out of this world, really good mood music for a rainy and sunny day....

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

How did I manage to miss this thread? Tull is one of my all time favorite bands. I first came on board when Aqualung was released, but quickly filled out my collection with its predecessors. And while I liked Thick a lot, I couldn't warm up to A Passion Play at all, and sadly it put me off the rest of the band's output (other than Living in the Past). I do have a copy of Songs from the Wood that I have yet to get around to listening to, though. I've heard it's among the best of the latter-day Tull albums.

All in all, among the material I know, the highlights for me are Stand Up and Benefit, with a definite preference for the former. For some reason I'm especially drawn to the songs that are in 6/8 time - I just love the kind of feel that time signature creates. And while I think all of the remasters are very well done, that one shows the most improvement. Some of the differences are staggering.

Of course, one of the things I miss about the CDs of both albums is the now-absent "trick" album covers. Stand Up of course had the folded illustration in the middle that popped up like a children's book when you opened the gatefold album cover. And Benefit (if memory serves) had little opening windows in it, like an advent calendar. Sadly those two LPs are gone from my collection, but I plan on hanging onto Thick forever, with its newspaper foldout.

Oh, and they were the first rock concert I ever attended, at the Chicago Stadium in 1972, when they were touring in support of Thick. Glen Cornish's (late of Tull) new band Wild Turkey opened for them.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online