Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Jethro Tull

^^Songs from the Wood is my pick.:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

After Aqualung came one of the best Progrerssive Rock albums ever recorded, the amazing "Thick As A Brick". Combining all the unique elements of the bands diverse musical styles then add some ethereal/obscure lyrics and you have a sprawling opus consisting of two tracks, side one and side two. Considering it was released in 1972 "Brick" has aged incredibly well, and any true proggy fan should have this in the library.

Thick As A Brick (Part One). I saw Tull the year this video was filmed.

TAABFront.jpg

TAABBack.jpg

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I have no idea Craig, when I delve too deeply into Brick I end up hurting my little gray cells,,,it is positively inscrutable as far as the story they are telling...but I still love the album.:D

rtbuck

Reaction score

Jethro Tull is one band I'd love to go back in time & revisit the show I had seen in the early/mid 80's. I only had MU The Best of Jethro Tull & Bursting Out Live(which was far from being a regular listen other than "Aqualung" & "Locomotive Breath") so I only knew their FM Radio songs. I wasn't that into them at that time but they were playing here in Buffalo & on the day of the concert myself & a few friends decided to go. We waited until almost 8PM to buy tickets from a scalper & got great seats for less than face value of the ticket. That show was unbelievable! Martin Barre was amazing on guitar & Ian Anderson had a phenominal stage presence & was entertaining as hell.The stageshow with all the props & theatrics was almost as good as an Alice Cooper show. I became a fan of the band after seeing them live especially of "The Minstrel in the Gallery" which instantly became my favorite tune by them. I'd love to go back & enjoy the show because now I probably would know almost every tune.

Rocker440

Reaction score

Did anyone ever decide if Gerald Bostock was a real person? ;)

I don't know if he was a 'real' person or not, either, Craig. In the past records companies would often use family members, production company employees, their children, actors and also band members children on album covers. It would be fairly interesting to know if "Little Milton" was an actually person or not. Maybe Ian Anderson would remember? ;)

Although I enjoy many of Jethro Tull's catalog, this album does take some getting use to, more so with only two tracks and also with each being quite lengthy, too. Some 'concept' type albums are fairly easy to follow, and some can be at times akin to reading a long novel, which is fine if the story being told is good, interesting, appealing and keeps you entertained, as does Thick as a Brick. This song had more interest when hearing it performed in concert. I must say that Ian Anderson is quite an extraordinary entertainer, that both keeps fans interested and is an exceptional musician as well! :tup:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^After reading my friend Rocker440's post about "Brick..." I think I can guess his reaction when I post the next album.:D

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Can't wait to see them again in Sheffield soon, they will be laid back and doing some classics....

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Is Martin Barre' still in Ian's band Sweaty?

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Staff online

Members online