Jethro Tull (Official Thread)

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Re: Jethro Tull

What I've not been able to find is the details of Jethro Tull's cover shoot for "This Was".

:(

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Looks more like Harry Potter to me Craig.:D

Great pictures Jeffrey, I can say with absolute certainty that I never saw any of those available in the record shops here back when they were released.:nw:

I guess we just got the full album releases, the only way to get a hold of those records would have been to import them.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

I think our exposure to Tull here on this side of the pond was considerably different than in merry olde England. It was always my understanding that in the US they had no singles released at all untill "Living in the Past" (the song) was released along with Living in the Past (the album) in 1972. Up to that point, all of their record sales here had been LPs driven by concert tours, FM airplay and word of mouth. At least that's what I've been told. There are other Tullsters here with much more knowledge about them than I have. Perhaps they could confirm or deny that.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

Craig in Indy said:
I think our exposure to Tull here on this side of the pond was considerably different than in merry olde England. It was always my understanding that in the US they had no singles released at all untill "Living in the Past" (the song) was released along with Living in the Past (the album) in 1972. Up to that point, all of their record sales here had been LPs driven by concert tours, FM airplay and word of mouth.

That's not entirely correct. "Living in the Past" was Jethro Tull's eleventh single. What's true though is that Jethro Tull had no charting singles in the States until "Hymn 43" just made it onto the Billboard Hot 100 in 1971. The band's singles did slightly better in the U.K.

Here's a list of Tull's charting singles up until 1973 in the U.S. or the U.K. and the highest position they reached on the charts in the States and the U.K.:

1969 "Love Story" / "A Christmas Song" - U.K. #29

1969 "Living in the Past" / "Driving Song" - U.K. #3

1969 "Sweet Dream" / "17" - U.K. #7

1970 "Witch's Promise" / "Teacher" - U.K. #4

1971 "Hymn 43" - U.S. #91

1973 "Living in the Past" - U.S. #11

1973 "A Passion Play" - U.S. #80

:****:

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning

The policy of releasing singles around the world is, on one hand, an interesting experience as there are many pic sleeves which are quite eyecatching. The down side is after all the years some are quite expensive and can be difficult to locate. In the UK, for example, nothing from Passion Play ever found its way onto the market as a 7" single so to find an example you have to travel to the States, Germany or even Brazil to collect one.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

Jethro Tull also released an EP in 1971 which got to number eleven in the U.K. charts. I wonder if Lord Grendel has a copy?

Attachments

• A Jethro Tull.jpg
    A Jethro Tull.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 26

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pirvu Alex

Staff online