Jethro Tull (Official Thread)

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning
Re: Jethro Tull

As for all the twists and turns that ended up putting Ian and Martin together, the fact they have stayed together for all these decades seems to speak more than anything else I can add, they were "Destined" to be the heart and soul of Jethro Tull.:cheers:
Yes, that's very true and the great saying that sums it up is "opposites attract".

What can I say - the Aqualung cover is one of the most iconic pieces of rock art ever imo. Thaks for posting Hepcat. :cheers:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Despite this "Aqualung" was only ranked #337 on "Rolling Stone" magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time in 2003! Well what do those drug-addled brain dead hippied know anyway? It should of course have been well up there in the top fifty.

:mad:

I don't hold with a lot of the ranking that RS does. It's like someone trying to tell me Picasso was a genius, while I think he was a mentally disturbed guy who consumed too much alcohol or drugs when he picked up his brush...:lmao:

Seeing I have Jethro Tull in my top five bands of all time, not only Aqualung is in my top 500 albums of all time Hep.:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Time for the next album, 1976's "Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young To Die!". Ian Anderson always denied this record was of an "Autobiographical" nature, but I have a sneaking suspicion he was winking when he said that. This album was not well received by fans or critics, and was a disappointment to the band. According to Anderson it was a supposed to be a "Concept" album about an old biker reliving his younger days, but after listening to it many times I never picked up on that. Still I am a certifiable Tull fanatic and I like the album.

Here are two songs, the title track and Pied Piper.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

I don't hold with a lot of the ranking that RS does.

Well I still say that those fellows from "Rolling Stone" are a bunch of dirty, degenerate, drug-addict hippies with a deep and abiding underlying hatred for Jethro Tull and all (or some anyway) that is good in rock. And it would be a mistake to underestimate the impact of their underhanded machinations. I present to you the evidence:

http://www.classicrockforums.com/fo...hestra-versus-jethro-tull-versus-kansas-3042/

http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f36/fleetwood-mac-versus-jethro-tull-versus-slayer-3264/

:wtf:

Jethro Tull humbled at the feet of the Electric Light Orchestra and a polygot band of Fleetwood Mac imposters? In the name of decency I say we Tull supporters must unite and smash the enemy before it's too late!

:wa

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Sounds like a good plan to me Hep.:grinthumb

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Two Fantastic Albums IMO ... Aqualung, pure class and it is one of my favourite covers as well Hepcat, and Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll is just a pearler LG.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

One of the things that makes Stand Up an outstanding album for me personally is Anderson's frequent use of 6/8 time signatures - on fully five of the songs on the record. They give a lilting rhythm to the pieces that are refreshing and somewhat unexpected in rock, though they suit the band very well. They can be almost lyrical on some pieces, but on others the band still manages to make them driving and forceful when needed.

For the latter, a case in point is "A New Day Yesterday"

and "For a Thousand Mothers"

For the former there's "Jeffrey Goes to Leicester Square"

and "Look Into the Sun"

and my favorite, "We Used to Know"

Just brilliant rock writing, IMO.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members