Jani Lane Dead at 47

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth:

WARRANT Bassist Is 'Proud' Of The Music His Band Created With JANI LANE - Oct. 13, 2011
Jay Nanda of the San Antonio Metal Music Examiner late last month conducted an interview with WARRANT bassist Jerry Dixon. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

San Antonio Metal Music Examiner: [Former WARRANT singer] Jani's [Lane] passing hit the metal community hard and stunned a lot of people. When was the last time you had communicated with him?

Dixon: 2008. We flew back to L.A., and he was out of his mind again. And we said, "That's it." That was that. We gave it the high school try and did about 10 shows. He just had a lot of demons. People watch "Celebrity Rehab" and see a Steven Adler-type person or some of those cats on there . . . It's just a really difficult thing to go through.

San Antonio Metal Music Examiner: What part of Jani do you miss the most? Do you have a fondest memory or story you'd like to share?

Dixon: I think overall I'm thankful to have had him in the band. I'm proud of the music we still have and the music we created back then. It's really easy to take a song like "Heaven" or "Cherry Pie" for granted. What we did back then was magical, and that part of it I'll always cherish.

San Antonio Metal Music Examiner: How do you think Jani should be remembered by those who only knew of his music?

Dixon: Ohhh . . . do you want the honest answer or the bullshit answer?

San Antonio Metal Music Examiner: I want the honest, whatever-you'd-like-to-say answer.

Dixon: Let's put it this way. It's not easy dealing with anyone in that state of mind. It's the closest thing to hell that I can imagine — for his family, daughter, fans, and for himself. It's an utter living nightmare that that stuff brings to people. It's a shame, man. But I don't think it really kicked into him 'till about 12 years ago. He always held together before that. I guess we all mourn differently. I don't want to cloud anyone's memories whether they know him or don't know him. Being close to the situation, you get mad — from canceling shows and making you lose your house, going bankrupt. But at the same time, you gotta step back and not take it personal. That's what sex, drugs and rock and roll is all about. It's not fun. Just the way it is.

San Antonio Metal Music Examiner: Do you feel you failed Jani as a friend?

Dixon: Absolutely not. If I failed, then his daughter failed, and all of his friends failed. I want people to know, too, that in 2008, we had a guy named Bob — not Bob Forrest from the rehab show that worked with Dr. Drew, but a different Bob — and we paid him and brought him on the road with us. You think back and say, "What else can you do?" But it's true that someone has to want it. We would remind ourselves, "Why do we have this guy (Bob) with us?" Lane would sneak out of his room in the middle of the night and go to a bar, and dudes were like (to Bob), "Go get him! What are you doing?" And he'd say, "I'm not going to get him. He has to want it." We thought he (Bob) was going to put him (Jani) in lockdown, but it doesn't work like that. So I would say, failing? No. Is there more we could have done? Probably. Did we try? Yes.

Read the entire interview from the San Antonio Metal Music Examiner.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Well those feelings are understandable. I think he really cared about him and it shows in the interview. :uh:

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth.net

JACK RUSSELL To JANI LANE: 'If It Was Not For Your Passing, I Would Not Be Here' - Aug. 11, 2012
JACK RUSSELL'S GREAT WHITE frontman Jack Russell has posted the following letter to late WARRANT singer Jani Lane, who passed away exactly a year ago today (August 11):

"Dear Jani,

"I cannot believe it has been a year since you left us. I have been sitting here thinking about that day, that horrible tragic day that saddened me and terrified me into having the courage to save my own life.

"I remember meeting you back in the late '80s with your band at the NAMM show. Your first album had just come out and you were all excited, walking around with your heads in the clouds as if you were the first band to ever make a record. It was funny because that was exactly how we acted after our first album came out.

"Next thing you know, we were on tour together. I remember watching your set before we would go on, thinking that you reminded me a lot of myself. I thought you were a fantastic singer with great energy and I could tell that you were having a blast.

"At the last show I hit you in the face with a whipped cream pie and the rest was history.

"Over the years, we became friends and although we were not the kind of friends who watched football together on Sundays, we genuinely loved each other’s work and had a mutual respect and admiration for each other. Whenever we had time to catch up over the years, it seemed like yesterday.

"I was laughing thinking about the time at the American Music Awards when we both showed up with black eyes.

"I was always worried about you, but like myself, I thought we were invincible. Unfortunately, I was wrong about both of us.

"If it was not for your passing, little brother, I would not be here. I just wish it did not have to happen the way it did. I miss you, as does everyone you have touched with your life. I know it is beautiful where you are and I will see you again someday my friend.

"Love until then, Jack."

Lane filled in for Russell with GREAT WHITE during the summer of 2010 while Jack dealt with some health issues.

Russell gave a short speech at a public memorial for Jani Lane, which was held on August 29, 2011 at Key Club in Hollywood, California. Video footage of his appearance can be seen below.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArturoThre

Members online