Jani Lane Dead at 47

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth:

Family, Friends Remember JANI LANE At Ohio Service - Aug. 22, 2011
According to The North Royalton Post, a hundred or so family and friends remembered former WARRANT singer Jani Lane last Saturday (August 20) in an 85-minute service at Crossroads Community Church in Doylestown, Ohio.

Lane, born John Kennedy Oswald, was separated from his third wife, the former Kimberly Nash, at the time of his death. He is survived by a brother, Eric; three sisters, Marcine Williams, Michelle Robinson and Victoria Oswald; a daughter from his first marriage, Taylar Lane; a daughter from his second marriage, Madison Lane; and two stepdaughters, Ryan and Brittany.

"He had a demon, which was alcohol," said Lane's first cousin, Adam Gable, who said he last saw Lane in 2010. "I think the drinking just got the best of him."

"My father was Jani Lane's biggest fan ever," Lane's sister Marcine Williams said. "He communicated with metal magazines and writers and was at his concerts. My parents could always separate Jani from John. They were never embarrassed by him."

Lane's sister Michelle Robinson said she hadn't spoken to her brother in eight or nine months but said she knew his lifestyle could one day catch up with him.

"I just think in general the lifestyle that anyone chooses in that kind of industry, you're always taking that kind of risk," she said. "Really it's who you choose to have around you. That's the bottom line."

Robinson, who was the last person in her family to see Lane, said, "Heroes are remembered and legends never die. And that's true. He always enjoyed being the star and being the frontman. He would enjoy this."

Read more from The North Royalton Post.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
melodicrock.com

A book tribute to Jani Lane is currently in the works! The book will be an unauthorized biography that will follow Jani through the years, and feature interviews with those who were close to him. We are currently accepting photograph submissions! Check out The Jani Lane Story - Book for more info.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
planetrock.com

Wednesday, August 24th 2011 00:00

The singer had no ID on him when he died, but he did have a note which said "I am Jani Lane"

TMZ reports that when the former Warrant frontman sadly passed away a couple of weeks ago he was carrying no ID, but a note had been placed in his pocket

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ that Jani had no official ID on him when his body was discovered at a Los Angeles motel on August 11 - and apparently he hadn't been in possession of an ID for a while. TMZ reports that the note contained a phone number for a person close to Jani and police contacted that person after Jani's body was discovered.

Law enforcement sources suggest that investigators have confirmed the note was written by one of Jani's friends - and that person had placed a similar note on Jani in the past. The police have been in contact with that person.

However, the note has reportedly infuriated members of Jani's family, because whoever had written the note was clearly aware that Jani had a substance abuse problem and should have helped Jani seek treatment instead of simply putting a note in his pocket.

It's unclear if the same person who wrote the note also checked Jani into the Comfort Inn - but sources have told TMZ that it appears the room where Jani was discovered was not purchased by Jani himself.

There is no criminal investigation into the death, however, and so far, investigators believe Jani's death was either accidental or due to natural causes. An autopsy has been completed and results from the toxicology tests are expected soon.

(TMZ)

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
^^^ Ya.. MP.. Sounds like he was dumped in his room by someone who knew he was pretty far gone.. A mystery for sure..

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
This makes it not only eerie but much sadder.

If and I say IF this was the case, why not dump him at a...oh I don't know...HOSPITAL??

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
This makes it not only eerie but much sadder.

If and I say IF this was the case, why not dump him at a...oh I don't know...HOSPITAL??

Sounds like somebody dosn't want to be apart of this.. I wonder if they have video footage of him arriving with someone..

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth.net

WARRANT Guitarist Talks About JANI LANE's Passing - Aug. 29, 2011
WARRANT guitarist Joey Allen was interviewed on the August 15 edition of "Eddie Trunk Live" on SiriusXM satellite radio about the passing of the band's former frontman, Jani Lane. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

On WARRANT's relationship with Jani Lane and how he feels about the singer's death:

"It's kind of like a band of brothers, and brothers love one another and brothers hate one another sometimes — or brothers can get pissed off at one another sometimes, let's just put it that way.

"It's no secret that we did have our ups and downs with the guy and it's also no secret in some circles that we tried to do what we could do for him in our own way.

"We're not necessarily shocked, because he just was such a…

"With talented people like that, I think there's peaks and valleys talented people like that, I think there's peaks and valleys — I think it's the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. That's what makes for some great music, unfortunately.

"It's just tragic, man. It's tragic for his kids."

On whether WARRANT was always hoping that Jani would one day be able to conquer his demons:

"Outside of a few short press releases when he would get in trouble — just 'cause we would get backlash from our side of the press, and it wasn't anything that we were doing but guilt by association… Aside from a few of those things that we put out that weren't a hurtful thing, it was just kind of trying to protect what we were doing, we always wanted the guy to get well. We stuck through a few rehab stints with him during the reunion tour.

"There's so much stuff that a lot of people don't know, that's not necessarily for them to know, but it wasn't us not wanting him to be well — ever! We're not that type of people; we're not those guys. I think the last time we [Eddie Trunk and Joey Allen] talked, which was a few months ago, I said 'We're rooting for the guy. Let him get out there. People wanna hear the music, people wanna hear him sing the music. Go for it. And do it well. And do it like you used to.' And it just wasn't meant to be for some reason.

"I think the main tragedy we've all gotta keep in mind here is that the guy is survived by two young daughters. I know one of them — she's a great kid. And you've really just gotta wish them the best. And that's where it really stings the most."

On whether he remembers a time and place when he noticed that things were getting more serious for Jani in terms of his substance-abuse issues:

"I think when the whole Seattle thing came on and kind of took the wind out of the whole late-'80s hard rock, hair-metal scene — whatever people wanna call it — I think that it was hard for him to deal with that. And at the same time, I think he was going through some personal issues, maybe with an ex-wife, that was hard. And I just saw him turning to a place that was pretty dark. And we were all there and supportive, and we did what we could do. We kept on touring or took time off when he needed time off. Probably shortly after we started the 'Dog Eat Dog' tour, after he left the band and then when he came back, it just got a little dark. And that was about the time that I split, because I was in my own private hell, so to speak, and I didn't need any help being there. So that would have to be it for me personally when I saw it. But even when we got back together for the reunion and I saw him and I went and met him for the first time, and buried the hatchet on all the old stuff — all the legal crap, all the personal stuff — he looked great and he sounded great. And he was good. It just didn't last."

WARRANT announced in September 2008 that it was splitting with Lane six months after the band reunited with the troubled vocalist. He has since been replaced by Robert Mason (LYNCH MOB, CRY OF LOVE, BIG COCK).

Lane originally left WARRANT in March 1993 but rejoined the band in September 1994. The group went on to record the "Ultraphobic" (1995), "Belly To Belly" (1996) and "Greatest & Latest" (1999) albums and issued and collection of covers, "Under The Influence", in 2001. Jani quit WARRANT again in 2004 before reuniting with the group four years later.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.