Is Van Halen a hair band?

Is Van Halen a hair band?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I'm sure plenty of people hate that cover like I don't like VH's cover of Pety Women. Tell you truth I like TH cover of Take Me To the River but its way down on my favorite TH song.

good for you. I didn't like it shoot me. :heheh:

Sorry I couldn't resist...when you responded that way to me it seemed pretty defensive. I don't think it's a bad thing to not like Van Halen and I don't wish to shoot you. I like TH/ TMTTR :cheers2

Vic2010

Reaction score
I played a Halen mixed CDr yesterday in honor of this thread. The CDr contains a mix of the first 3 albums. This was one bada** band back in the day. The speed, and fury this band had was just killer. I'm pretty sure they were an influence on thrash in the early 80s. The fury, and the piss & vinegar of songs like "I'm The One","Atomic Punk","Light Up The Sky","D.O.A." etc., and so forth are what shot this band through the roof. In the late 70s nobody in mainstream rock was doing this. Rockers and punks alike loved it.

:guitar::hb:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I played a Halen mixed CDr yesterday in honor of this thread. The CDr contains a mix of the first 3 albums. This was one bada** band back in the day. The speed, and fury this band had was just killer. I'm pretty sure they were an influence on thrash in the early 80s. The fury, and the piss & vinegar of songs like "I'm The One","Atomic Punk","Light Up The Sky","D.O.A." etc., and so forth are what shot this band through the roof. In the late 70s nobody in mainstream rock was doing this. Rockers and punks alike loved it.

:guitar::hb:

Dude, you do what I do in situations like this! When someone questions the material I like I play the shit out of it to remind myself why I like it in the first place. It takes half a second to remember! Music isn't about status or genres or king of the mountain or any of that bullshit. It's about what it does for each listener. My original favorite bands and singers have had their peak time career wise but I'll personally never forget them and that's all that matters. Therefore I'll always keep listening to them along with the mix of constant new bands I acquire. There's room for both. What I notice in all of this is some sort of generation protection thing. It's listeners of 60's rock that seem to be against the following generations of rock especially when God forbid they touch their classics. The 60's and 70's listeners seem especially paranoid about their music losing it's icon status and then when you move on to a lot of people who listen to 80's bands they have the same defenses against Grunge when that came out and changed everything. I guess I should worry about Kurt's throne since I was a fan of him and he's the crowned voice of my generation but I'm not. I'll play the music but if everyone stopped talking and idolizing him then "Whoopty doo!!!! If you want to take it further all generational groups seem defensive about the majority of new rock groups coming out.

It's all about being stuck in the time capsules of when music grabbed you. That prime age when you first took it all in. If I felt I had to spend all that time defending certain bands I wouldn't be happy. The bands I like don't need to be defended. They know who their fans are and were and they have enough validation by having their support through the money their fans put into their albums, tours and enthusiasm towards their music. All of our artist regardless of what we like will fade eventually and that's the cycle of things so it makes sense to me that we enjoy our personal experiences with them for as long as we live and not worry what somebody who never went into the music at the depth that we have thinks! Peace! :grinthumb

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Let's get back on focus here....

Van Halen from 1978 - 1981 was the biggest NEW rock band in America. There was none bigger. Most EVERYONE was into Van Halen at the time. (and this was before MTV, they were one of the last bands in rock history to make it on their ''music'' and concert tours) 1982-84/85 tons more jumped on the Van Halen bandwagon, after Van Halen became MTV stars. Anyone who was around this era, like Van Halen or not, can't really dispute that. (but there probably will be a few...lol)

It's funny that the Talking Heads and Blondie are mentioned in a Van Halen thread. The Talking Heads and Blondie were punk rock posers to begin with, that sold out fast to making main stream pop it was a joke. And I like about dozen Blondie tunes, but can't stand the Talking Heads with their nerdy lead singer from Dorksville, USA. - ''Burning Down The House, ''Wild Wild Life'' my ass - VAN F**KIN' HALEN Baby!!!!

'you got to hide your love away' it one of the best remakes imo..it honors the original but with Ed's vocals it's give it a twist

Eddie Vedder destroyed that song with his depressing suicidal vocals.

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Let's get back on focus here....

Van Halen from 1978 - 1981 was the biggest NEW rock band in America. There was none bigger. Most EVERYONE was into Van Halen at the time. (and this was before MTV, they were one of the last bands in rock history to make it on their ''music'' and concert tours) 1982-84/85 tons more jumped on the Van Halen bandwagon, after Van Halen became MTV stars. Anyone who was around this era, like Van Halen or not, can't really dispute that. (but there probably will be a few...lol)

It's funny that the Talking Heads and Blondie are mentioned in a Van Halen thread. The Talking Heads and Blondie were punk rock posers to begin with, that sold out fast to making main stream pop it was a joke. And I like about dozen Blondie tunes, but can't stand the Talking Heads with their nerdy lead singer from Dorksville, USA. - ''Burning Down The House, ''Wild Wild Life'' my ass - VAN F**KIN' HALEN Baby!!!!

Eddie Vedder destroyed that song with his depressing suicidal vocals.

Van Halen was/is awesome I love them more WITH Dave..but Sammy was cool too!

I know you hate Vedder so this comment is just dislike..no point in defending him...I'm sure he's not worried about you opinion :D !

he's still cashing his checks :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Back at Fox's henhouse for a moment, the count is a firm 69% No VH is not a Hair band, and only 4 adamant votes that they are a Hair band...so Fox is taking a thrashing in his own poll.

The people have spoken, VH is an important successful hard rock band, and as many have said I don't lump them in with the bands that came later and were shoved into that...ridiculous category.:grinthumb

I think you guys have about worn this one out, I don't think I'll be back to visit after this post.:bdh:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online