Is rock dead?

Ringo

Like A Rolling Stone
Reaction score
If rock is dead, music is dead. In my opinion rock is what's keeping music alive nowadays. It's barely alive, but if there wasn't anything else apart from Rap and R&B we'd be ****ed. There are plenty of good bands, not nearly as many good ones as in the 60s/70s but hey what do you expect?

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
While I'm not sure that rock is dead, you're right about that point. Rock is not where the big money is these days - other than in the tours being staged by the dinosaur rockers.

It's the Billboard charts that tell the tale though. While rock tunes were all over the charts forty years ago, how many are on the charts these days? The charts are dominated by hiphop and dance divas.

:banghead:
This is very true.. Years ago you didn't have Rap on the radio.. It's now what a lot of kids listen to and of course there goes your chart ratings.
How I feel about rock today is that the difference between say 70's rock to modern day rock is that the 70's artist didn't all sound the same.. I get confused trying to distinguish between Seether..Trapt.. Green Day.. Blink 182 so on so on.. Maybe bad comparisons of sounding alike there but, I hope you get my point about it just sounds like the same band with a different singer. I like the stuff these days but I like the way older rock seemed to be different than the other groups during that time..
Then of course we have all the Genres to deal with these day's.. So many choices!!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
How I feel about rock today is that the difference between say 70's rock to modern day rock is that the 70's artist didn't all sound the same.. I get confused trying to distinguish between Seether..Trapt.. Green Day.. Blink 182 so on so on..

I agree with you Thumper, and some of the genres are just prefabricated to generate interest by giving a certain segment their own Bands...No one has ever adequately explained the difference between Alternative and just plain old rock music to me, just one example there are many others.

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
I don't think good music has anything to do with the charts....and that means rock too....but then again, if a rock tune is good and it hits the top of the charts, well what's wrong with that......it's when the wimpy tunes make it to the charts that I don't get....but luckily music is SUBJECTIVE:):):)

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
Rock is alive as long as you have a turntable, tape deck, and/or other media playing devices along with source material to play.

Penny Lane in the film "Almost Famous" said, "I always tell the girls, never take it seriously, if ya never take it seriosuly, ya never get hurt, ya never get hurt, ya always have fun, and if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends. "

A beautie Mr. Shadow :):bump::lmao::cheers:

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
If rock is dead, music is dead. In my opinion rock is what's keeping music alive nowadays. It's barely alive, but if there wasn't anything else apart from Rap and R&B we'd be ****ed. There are plenty of good bands, not nearly as many good ones as in the 60s/70s but hey what do you expect?

Right on !:):cheers::bump:

PinkZeppelin

Reaction score
Sometimes it seems like it. All the good rock bands are either old or dead, and the new ones aren't even classic rock like they say they are. They're usually just metal. In the 90's, the record companies took over the bands, creating todays music. There is one band I found, though it's called H.E.A.T. It has sort of a Journey sound to it and it's a 2000's band. Check it out.

Syd

Reaction score
Sometimes it seems like it. All the good rock bands are either old or dead, and the new ones aren't even classic rock like they say they are. They're usually just metal. In the 90's, the record companies took over the bands, creating todays music. There is one band I found, though it's called H.E.A.T. It has sort of a Journey sound to it and it's a 2000's band. Check it out.
Maybe there isn't very good classic rock, but there is great alternative rock. The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, The Libertines, The Killers, The Kooks, Arcade Fire, Coldplay, The White Stripes, Muse. People should move on. Of course music won't be the same as in the 70's.

TheWhalerfan

Lovus My Avatarus
Reaction score
^ You're right. There are still good bands out there, it's just a little harder to find sometimes because there are more styles of music now populating the airwaves.

As long as there are people out there plinking away on real instruments I am happy. I will admit though, I was a little worried around 1990 when the guy from Jesus Jones said he wished he wouldn't have wasted all that time learning to play guitar when a synthesizer can do it all for you. :wtf:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CelinaByb7

Members online