Is Nirvana an overrated band? (and other ones)

Khor1255

Reaction score
I took 'improve your rock' to mean expand your taste in rock. Although that doesn't work for me (I like every band I've ever liked even as my taste evolved) we have all witnessed people who seem embarrassed to have liked something they no longer like.

It sounded like he was being optimistic that people would 'learn' to not like Kiss.

Maybe I got it wrong though.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok well if that is what he meant fair enough but I still don't think people need to be told to expand their horizons. People can evolve their music choices in their time.

rtbuck

Reaction score
Okay...here's my opinion...first off I can agree with Mr. Jim in which I would rather listen to Nirvana than Alice & Chains, Pearl Jam,...etc but the question is about them being overrated which I really hate that term "Overrated". How can I say Nirvana is overrated when millions upon millions buy & really believe in their music. That goes for any band making millions upon millions. I never got Hendrix or Zeppelin's popularity & in my opinion I said they were overrated but then I thought and it really doesn't matter what I think because there are millions who do see their greatness (for the record I do like both artists but just didn't see anything special. Last year a close friend of mine said to "Bucky, you know so much about music & have great tastes...why KISS??").

Anyway,in my opinion all Nirvana was was a band who wrote & played hard edge fun music. I don't think they were planning to go out & take over the world. I grew up in the mid 80's following around the Goo Goo Dolls & seeing them having the time of their lives playing clubs & listening to their first 2 records but I never ever thought they would be making millions playing Adult Contemporary top 40 hits & being these great songwriters. Another band like that was Greenday . My friend's band played shows with them & told me to check them out because they were a riot so I bought their first album & Kerplunk & while I love those albums I never would have thought they would have gotten where they have gotten. I guess I'm saying that Nirvana was in the right place at the right time & from what I've read Cobain was having a tough time dealing with the fame & fortune. I also feel the timing was right & especially the young male audience needed them. It just was starting to seem like many of the hair bands were writing for mostly the female audience(I shouldn't really say that because there were a ton of great hardrock/metal acts but it was the Songs & bands that were writing for girls that were getting the airplay). I also think when Beavis & Butthead played Nirvana that really spiked their popularity as here they are mocking out artists such as a Winger video & then BOOM they play Smells Like Teen Spirit!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Some intelligent comments since my last visit here, not a fan of post dissection though.:nw:

I have tried more than once to 'get Nirvana', many young music fans I've talked to rate them so highly I had to give them a proper chance.

Grunge will never be my genre, it's got some good bands no denying that I've mentioned the ones I like but other than it being a 'turning point' in modern music similar to the punk invasion back in the late 70's (which I am not a huge fan of either) I just like other music more.

Of all the Nirvana albums the one I can listen to once in a blue moon is "Nevermind", the other's I can't sit through the entire album.

Whatever people saw in Kurt Cobain, is beyond me, I'm not talking about as an important historical figure or musical superstar just as a guy with a guitar in his hands playing his own songs.

One result of that upheaval in the industry that still makes me laugh are the obvious commercial inventions of new genres, supposedly to give new fans something to latch on to as their very own.:gig

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Cobain, while most of the time quite adept at conveying the angst of a generation struggling to find identity in the world,evoked too much of a sense of "who well,who cares,live fast,die young,leave a good looking corpse",a sentiment I understand was once advertised immensely by the likes of Jim Morrison,Joplin and Hendrix just to name a few,but on THEIR respective roads to the ends of existence,they left behind much more creatively evocative, soul cleansing and inspirational bodies of work for the world to ponder upon.Cobain,at least from a straight musical standpoint,left us a bunch of unnecessary defeatist philosophy in his powerful but overbearingly depressing vocal meanderings.Can't say too much about the words,still no one knows what they are anyway,but I find it hard to believe there could be anything legitimately positive in lyrics to such dreadfully uninspired melodies.I have no idea why Kurt was placed inside the top twenty on the Rolling Stone greatest guitarists list,ahead of George Harrison................

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^It's politics combined with respecting the newer artists and keeping Rolling Stone relevant as we old 'farts' fade away HGH.:D

And I agree with you George Harrison > Kurt Cobain...at pretty much everything in life not just music.(Admittedly we'll never know what Cobain might have accomplished if he hadn't had a brain cramp and killed himself so young. :nw: )

TheYoungMan

Southern Man
Reaction score
Some things I want to clarify:

1) When I said 'overrated' I meant musically they didn't show as much talent as people say they did. Most of Nirvana songs are more or less the same riff (Rape me, Lithium, Dumb...) with some self-destructive lyrics. I'm not talking about the social repercusion (I'm not sure if this word exists in english, lol), I'm trying to talk about something more or less objective.

Overrated doesn't mean that you can not enjoy it. That music can say a lot to you, this is something subjective, and I don't wanna mess with that (in fact, I enjoy some Nirvana songs that I've listen for several years).

2) When I say 'improve your rock' I want to say the following. Imagine you're new to the rock, and you're listening some easy bands and songs, then if you expand your rock (as sb said) you will find that there's a huge wonderful world which musically si much more... how to say it in english... fulfilling?

I don't say that anybody has to expand his rock, and I don't say that you must like this 'improved rock' (to call it something) neither you can't like the easy music. Man, everybody must like what he/she likes! I'm not telling anybody to do anything.

What I say is that you'll have a new perspective, and then you'll maybe get some conclusions as the ones that are appearing in this thread.

3) IMO the Beatles are very much better than Nirvana. All the albums since Rubber Soul (included) are themselves trying to improve their music, introducing new instruments, new sounds, new progressions... The Beatles maybe were born as a product, but died as a genius. That is my point on the Nirvana/Beatles thing.

----

I'm glad so much people have written his opinion here. Remember, we're just talking about what we love, no one here is trying to feel better than anyone. The most important thing about music is enjoying it.

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
First of all, "overrated" can be and typically is very subjective and whereas even the very definition that people use can differ greatly from one person to the next. So, with that said, what follows is my personal opinion and it is no more or less valid than anyone else's opinions on the subject matter.

Regarding the question: "Is Nirvana an overrated band?" The answer is "ABSO****INGLUTELY!"

The band is held in such high regard by fans and by the likes of music industry "expert figureheads" (which are more like bobbleheads), such as the Rolling Stones of the world (ie: the shitty publication(s), not the epic classic rock band). In my opinion, that high regard is unjustified. They band put out 3 albums before they broke up, if you want to call it a "break up". Most people hadn't even heard of the band or the first album until after the second one was crammed down our throats by MTV and local radio stations.

All too often, especially now - 20 years later, they are referred to by people who don't know better, as the fathers of the grunge movement. Pfttt. Not even close. At their peak, they were maybe the most popular, but they didn't pave any paths in grunge.

A big reason why I consider them to be overrated is very simple - they just weren't that good. Non-sensical lyrics surrounded by riffs and beats that a young teenager could play just didn't impress me. The vocals were rough, the lyrics made me shake my head and the look of lazy, dirty, unwashed 20-somethings turned my head right off the bat. In terms of grunge, I'm not a fan of most of the movement/genre, but there are a couple of bands that were pretty decent. I give Pearl Jam fans grief over Eddie's singing/phrasing/pronunciations of lyrics, but the band itself is quite talented. Stone Temple Pilots were awesome at first. I think their debut album is one of the better debut albums of the past 30 years.

But in terms of who was truly talented in the grunge movement ... Alice in Chains! These guys CRUSHED Nirvana in terms of musical talent (again, "talent" is subjective just like "overrated" is). I first heard Man in the Box back in 1990 and I was blown away. I listen to that song now and it STILL fills me with the same enthusiasm it did back in '90. Everything AIC did during Staley's run (4 albums, unplugged + the EPs) was awesome. If anything, while calling Nirvana "overrated", I'd have to say that Alice in Chains is quite the opposite and is vastly "underrated"... musically and vocally. Jerry's harmonies mixed with Layne's leads are a highlight in rock that very few bands have done in hard rock (regardless of whatever subgenre you choose).

So, Nirvana... overated? yes. Overhyped? yes. Overpraised? Yes. Overpaid? Well, the only one that was overpayed was Kurt. Originally, they split everything 3-ways. From what I understand, Kurt and Krist each gave up half of their own 1/3 split (meaning Kurt was getting 2/3) just to keep him in fresh heroin and content enough to keep the band together. Pretty sad if that is true.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Fair enough but if lack of technical proficiency = automatic overrating once a band becomes popular the are some serious stones that keep a rollin by that no one seems to have a problem with...

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Technical proficiency doesn't have to equate in to Yngwie Malmsteen or Steve Vai-like guitar licks, but when I hear stuff that any kid with 5 ounces of talent could play and I see reviewers gushing over them like they are some sort of rock god, yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

I have seen shit articles by the likes of Rolling Stone rate Kurt Cobain as a top 10 guitarist of all time. :rolleyes: THAT my friend is ridiculous and what I'm referring to.

And for the record, as much as I like Jimi, his live shows were garbage, a LOT. I used to work with a guy that got his hands on every single bootleg imaginable including multiple boots from different angles or different recordings from the same concert. Dude was a freak about it. Anyway, he made me some mix Hendrix bootleg tapes and while Hendrix could be pure genius at times (especially in the studio), he was sloppy as hell in concert all too often. So, in the same sense, I'd say that the love that Hendrix gets is also quite overrated.

Back to Kurt, he was sloppy as hell a LOT ... in concert and in the studio. Terrible singer, horrible guitar player. Lyrics? well, again, nonsensical crap a lot and WAY too much "woah is me, my life sucks, etc" which really seemed to connect to an entire generation of lazy, unwashed kids. *shrug*

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Members online