Is Nirvana an overrated band? (and other ones)

TheYoungMan

Southern Man
Reaction score
The first thing I want to say is that I don't want to create a flame post, I want to know your opinion about some topic.

The second thing I want to say is that I listen Nirvana. Not as much as another bands, they're not my favourites, but there are some songs of them that I like a lot and I enjoy to listen, dance, etc.

I think Nirvana was a very musically limited band. They may represent a social and musical revolution, but musically I see them very poor in relation with the meaning that young people give them.

What's ypur point on that?

For me there is another band that is overly overrated, and this is KISS, but this is something personal :D

I mean, I like Strutter and maybe one or two songs more, but I can't follow Kiss as a great band, they say nothing to me, musically.

At least in Spain I think there's a fever on some bands but I think that most of people just dindn't taste all the music. I mean, if you listen to Kiss you may like them, but if you improve your rock you'll see that there are more bands very much more deep than Kiss.

I remember you that this is my opinion and I RESPECT these bands and the people that listen to them. Music is for fun and for enjoying oneself. I'n just talking about whats society makes with that music.

Khor1255

Reaction score
The point of a lot of music is to convey an emotion. Or even a raw feel. Sometimes this is rather deep expression and soul searching or great storytelling, other times it is simple frustration, elation or even angst.

Bands like Kiss (and to a lesser degree Nirvana) are almost exclusively raw and simple emotional expression and the base type stripped down form suits this better than a complex multilayered handling would. Not that I am saying Kiss or Nirvana ever possessed the musical chops to make a Yes or Crimson type movement but that their music is effective within the context it aims for.

I grew up on Kiss. And after the absolute black hole hard rock sank into during the 80s Nirvanna was like a long awaited breath of fresh air. I mean Guns and Roses and even Jane's Addiction kind of rekindled the same spirit that carried hard rock to the heights it went to in the 70s but Jane's weirdness and GnRs cheese metal angle left a lot to be desired for me. It was great to hear hard rock again that wasn't loaded with cringe worthy elements.

Anyway, to each his own but that is my take on it.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think Nirvana is overrated in the sense that people act like they are the greatest band to have made grunge music when in my eyes Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots (early albums), Mother Love Bone are much better bands in terms of musical talent. But no doubt Nirvana was extremely influential and I myself do like their work.

And Kiss are extremely overrated in my opinion but part of that is biased since I hate Kiss with a passion. People who like Kiss here do not overrate them but many fans I see on FB or anywhere else they are ridiculous to the point where they are Kiss nuthuggers.

Kickstart

Reaction score
I can't say anything about the real topic (Nirvana) as i have not listened to them by choise at all, i do agree with you about Kiss though.
They do have some cool songs, some decent songs, but not a song I would call a masterpiece and their average isn't overwhelming either.
Maybe you have to be older, had to witness Kiss back then to see them in an other light than me, who is just looking back at a variety of bands from whom Kiss doesn't stand out musicwise at all.

I do like Detroid Rock City and used to really like New York Groove though(or is it an Ace solo song?)

Dan

Reaction score
Are Nirvana overrated? Yes and NO. Its like saying, are the sex pistols overrated. The truth is that both these bands changed attitudes to life and music. This is why they can't be overrated. Are nirvana brilliant musicians, with massive longevity? Not in my opinion.
But i will always rate nevermind very highly as they changed my attitudes.

Dan

Reaction score
P.s. Kiss wear make up well. Personally i don't like them(no depth to their music). I see them as hard rocks ABBA.

TheYoungMan

Southern Man
Reaction score
My opinion goes in accordance with RiffRaff's one.

But, never forget, musci is a personal experience. We can't juzge anyone. We can evaluate music and ubicate it in our lives, but music, at his last, is feelings, and every one has its own feelings.

When I talk about this topics I'm just trying to make an objective analysis of these bands. But objectivity in music doesn't work.

TheYoungMan

Southern Man
Reaction score
Are Nirvana overrated? Yes and NO. Its like saying, are the sex pistols overrated. The truth is that both these bands changed attitudes to life and music. This is why they can't be overrated. Are nirvana brilliant musicians, with massive longevity? Not in my opinion.
But i will always rate nevermind very highly as they changed my attitudes.

Yeah, man. I got all your point. I'm just talking about music. Music itself. Not the social movement that this music have as consecuence.

(Maybe I'm fcking up ma english, sorry fo that)

Khor1255

Reaction score
When I talk about this topics I'm just trying to make an objective analysis of these bands. But objectivity in music doesn't work.
I was with you up until this point.

We can objectively say that Bach was a musical genius and Beiber is so far from that as to be barely a musician at all.

But taste is a completely different thing.

I like Kiss a billion times more than I like modern classical composers. Now objectively I can say these modern composers are more accomplished musically in terms of mastery of the craft but I still prefer Kiss.

Nothing wrong with that.

It is when people try to claim they always like performers with a wider musical vocabulary when compared those who have simple talent that you run into problems. Because musical vocabulary is just that. It is a mastery of the technical.

I could have a degree in creative writing but still not be able to produce something as enjoyable to read as someone self educated.

TheYoungMan

Southern Man
Reaction score
Khor, I don't see your point. I Mean, I can distinguis between Bach and Bieber. But, I have to say that classical music isn't the same as folkloric music, I mean, can you compare Bach with the Beatles? Yes, you can, and you may say that Bach si better (beacause it's more complex) I love classical music (i've listen a lot of it) but I love too folkloric music (i.e., not classical music) Yhe point here is that music is about technich, yes, but about feelings too. And in rock music (thsi forum is about it) is a primary thing: da feelin's.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OrvilleTar

Staff online

Members online