Iron Maiden (Official Thread)

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Re: Iron Maiden

I always thought of Iron Maiden as the continuation of Led Zeppelin's progressive metal leanings heard in songs like Immigrant Song, Achilles Last Stand, The Song Remains The Same, etc. Maiden took it a bit further with their imagery and power.

Except that the blues influence that's so apparent in Led Zeppelin's music does not seem to be there in Iron Maiden's music.

:wtf:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

You know Fox I can see what Wolfsblood means, I always considered Led Zeppelin to be one of the proto-metal bands, like Deep Purple who also had some definite metal tendencies in their music.

I grant you Maiden doesn't really have a lot of blues influence unlike Zeppelin, but many of the heavy metal and NWOBHM bands that came later were influenced by all the hard rock blues based bands that came before them.

wolfsblood

Reaction score

Except that the blues influence that's so apparent in Led Zeppelin's music does not seem to be there in Iron Maiden's music.

:wtf:

Good point. Led Zeppelin were blues purists and they also seemed to give rise to some of the more progressive influenced heavy metal that lead to bands like Rush and Iron Maiden and even Metallica. I can't really hear the blues in Iron Maiden but it might be in the chord structure or something, not very obvious.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Time for the next one, in this case one of the best live heavy metal albums ever recorded, "Live After Death", recorded in 1985. I'm not the biggest fan of live albums as a rule, but there are some exceptions, like this massive 12 track record that captures Maiden in their prime.(The latest CD has an additional 6 tracks.)

Run To The Hills.

Oblivion

Reaction score

Oh man :D you know I totally agree on this being one of the best live albums... A first place even (along with iced earth).

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Wow!! We're talkin' one of my top three metal bands ever. Old,Middle,Now

I dig everything these guys do. They got that "certain something"

Transylvania

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Nice song MP, and I agree OB one of the very best live albums. They recorded it on their marathon world tour that lasted from August 85 till July 86, and the stage set-up was based on the Powerslave album cover theme, one of the most elaborate of it's day.

A hard working band that deserves their status as a metal icon.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

This thread is eye candy...I've been busy on and off today but I need to contribute some killer pics at one point. :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Feel free MP, you always add a lot to every thread.

I think everyone will be busy for the next while, it's that time of year.;)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Staff online

Members online