Incomplete albums in your collection

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
Are there any albums in your music collection where for whatever reason you do not own the complete album, but only certain songs?

I think this is more relevant for those of us who store music on their computers rather than on analogue* formats though it would be interesting to read if anyone else finds there are albums where there want more than just one song or the best known singles, but don't have the full album.

There's a few in my collection including:
Beach Boys: Greatest Hits (1998) - I don't like the vocals on You're So Good To Me and I have always found Wild Honey somewhat irritating (when I first heard it reminded me of a phone ringtone) so I don't have these songs on my iTunes. If I was uploading this album again I don't think I'd add Barbara Ann to my library either, but I don't dislike it enough to delete it. That's only two or three songs from twenty-nine though, and I like all the rest.

Making Movies (Dire Straits) - I don't own Les Boys as I'm not keen on the subject matter. I uploaded Tunnel of Love and Romeo And Juliet from my dad's Money For Nothing compilation and downloaded the other four tracks (which was cheaper than buying the whole album) which leaves me with what I consider to be a fantastic, if slightly short, six track album.

Automatic for the People (R.E.M.) - My favourite songs here - the last three plus Drive - are in my collection, I find with this album that the songs I like, I really like (Man On The Moon is one of my top favourites by anyone) whereas I don't get on well with Everybody Hurts and am somewhat ambivalent towards The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite.

I think it's better to stick to albums where you have a decent number of songs (say, more than three, or at least half the album if there's six tracks or less), rather than albums where you only own one song. For example, my own digital music collection includes only one song each from Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs and John Wesley Harding (the title track and All Along The Watchtower respectively), but I wouldn't claim to own either album - they're 'extra' tracks in my collection rather than ones I've decided not to add.

My sister tends to only add complete albums by her favourite artists and otherwise just downloads 1-3 songs, usually the big hits, from an album. I usually prefer to have complete albums although as you can see there are some cases where I have left off or not downloaded all the songs.

*I'm aware the favoured US spelling is 'analog' (or rather, I should say 'favored' :D ).

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
I don't have Venus And Mars or London Town, by Paul McCartney And Wings. He is by far my favourite, but I guess I just never got around to buying those two.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Can I go the other way and say that there are albums that I WISH I had NEVER purchased!?

ie:

Led Zepplin III, Presence and Coda

;)

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
There are a lot of bands that I only like a handful of or even only one of their songs. When I started downloading music I would just make up mixes of songs I liked but had no interest in owning the whole album.

I probably have 30 - 40 cds of just songs. Mix cd's with no theme, rhyme or reason. Metal, disco, funk, 80's pop and dance, classic rock, all on the same cd. And a lot of the songs are the only ones I know and like by that band.

Here's one track listing....

The White Stripes-- Hello Operator
The Stranglers-- Golden Brown
Chevelle- Tug O' War
Lost Prophets-- Shinobi vs. Dragon Ninja
Cassius-- Au Reve
Revis-- Caught In The Rain
Buckcherry-- For The Movies
311- Amber
Nancy Sinatra- These Boots Are Made For Walking
Fear Factory -- Resurrection
Bobby Vee-- The Night Has A Thousand Eyes
Gojira-- Flying Whales
Chuck Berry- I Wanna Be Your Driver
Clutch- Spacegrass
InDeep-- Last Night A DJ Saved My Life

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
To compete my Black Sabbath vinyl collection I need to get The Headless Cross, Tyr, Cross Purposes, Forbidden, and 13. I already have them on CD.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
There are a lot of bands that I only like a handful of or even only one of their songs. When I started downloading music I would just make up mixes of songs I liked but had no interest in owning the whole album.

I'm the same, I'm not big into downloading music (I just much prefer CD or vinyl) but make the exception if I just like one or two songs and have no desire to have the whole album in my collection.
Recently I threw caution to the wind - I'd heard one song (Radioactive by Imagine Dragons) and really liked it so bought the whole album on impulse without hearing any of the other songs. What a mistake, not one of the other tracks on the album appealed to me in any way, shape or form, so I sold it on. I should've known better, I've been bitten before like this :bonk:

A few bands where I just have the odd songs, and none of the albums are (off the top of my head): The Rolling Stones, Electric Prunes, Eagles of Death Metal, Foo Fighters, Focus, Manic Street Preachers, Talking Heads, Mountain, (Peter Green's) Fleetwood Mac... although my other half has the album collections for some of those artists in which case I was able to just rip the tunes I liked :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online