I'm A Sucker For Songs With........

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
What's an element that just makes you a sucker for a song? Try not referring to a genre in general or a common instrument like guitar or even piano unless it's a specific way it's used. For me it's a gospel or gospel like choir sound in a rock song. I know it ranges from pretentious to cheesy to use one but I always buy into it whether it's being suckered into that big sound or at it's best just a beautiful, spiritual experience. Some examples ranging from the cheesy but still good to great and powerful as well as from older to newer examples:

Foreigner-I Want To Know What Love Is
(I don't care, this is actually my favorite Foreigner song :heheh:)

The Yeah, Yeah, Yeah's-Sacrilege
(My most recent example and inspiration for the thread)

Ben Folds Five-Not The Same
(I've always loved the way Folds has the audience join in on the choir action)

Madonna-Like A Prayer
(also happens to be my favorite Madonna song :heheh:)

The Killers-All These Things That I've Done
(Alsooo.....you see the trend :oyea:)

Elton John-Border Song
(One of the sons that officially hooked me into the world of 70's Elton)

I could on but that's a wide range that whether it's bait or art it enhances any mediocre or already great song! :grinthumb

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
One thing that stands out for me is the classic soft verse, loud chorus dynamic. That really gets my motor running, from Led Zeppelin to Nirvana, and then when I heard Taylor Swift do it in You Belong With Me, that's how I became a fan. All of these are favorite songs of mine:

Aero

Reaction score
One of the things that I always look for in music is the singer/band's ability to make the hair on my neck stand up. Usually, it's a real passionate song about something which could be about love, freedom, lost youth, or whatever.

One of my favorites is Bob Seger's "Roll Me Away". I love the way it builds up to a climax in the middle of the song which is right when the piano solo kicks in. If you don't feel something at this point, then maybe you don't have a soul.

One other example is Boston's HollyAnn. When Tom Schulz hits those notes with his signature guitar sound, it really gets to me. Combine this with Brad Delp's singing, "I still hear guitars in the air as we sat in the sand..." and it just culminates into something really special.

Philmore

Reaction score
I do love a song with great harmony vocals whether it's just a couple of lines or the chorus or the whole song. "If I Fell" by The Beatles is a good example.

This track by The Roches knocks me out every time I hear it. I could only find a live take on YouTube but it's still excellent.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for a good ol' falsetto or falsetto-like part in a rock song. Even bands I wouldn't say I'm a particular fan of are usually onto a winner with me with songs that incorporate high pitched 'squealy' moments, especially if there is a build up beforehand.

Child In Time is my favourite Deep Purple track simply because Gillan's falsetto on here is exquisite. Also, his vocals have such a wide range in just the one song - something else which I particularly like.

I love Rush's 'Passage to Bangkok' for those gorgeously splendid high moments in the verses, but have to admit to being a little disappointed by the more 'disciplined' Geddy vocals of the chorus which I find mundane in comparison.

The reason I love Judas Priest as much as I do is because of Rob Halford's piercingly high screams.

Painkiller

How I long for the days Radiohead made stunning songs like this, and of course my favourite part of the song is Thom Yorke's falsetto ~ 2.26+

Creep

One of the reasons I'm a big fan of Muse is because of the absolutely blinding Bellamy falsetto. His voice on the last half of 'Showbiz' - especially the massive finish - has me in raptures :)

James Hetfield

my day begins at 11:59
Reaction score
...Songs with natural harmonics and long complicated guitar solos.
The best example : Halo by Machine Head.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online