I Love This Song: “It Keeps You Runnin’”

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

This song is all about the voice…Michael McDonald. I was 16 when this song came out and I bought ”it Keeps You Runnin” and “Takin It To The Streets” both on 45, then later bought the album as an adult.

That voice. No one else had a voice like McDonald. Raspy, deep tones, yet he could soar to high notes, and it’s sexy. It was almost like he was whispering sweet nothings to the listener. It Keeps you Running is one of those songs that is timeless, soulful, and is instantly recognizable. The song itself has beautiful vocal harmonies and the piano……I just love it! I would rank this song as one of the best by The Doobie Brothers.

Above I posted the live video from 1977…But IMO the studio version is killer.

As an adult, I learned McDonald also was vocalist for Steely Dan. So this led me to explore Steely Dan, beginning with the legendary, Aja.

Do you like this song? Tell me your thoughts and opinions..

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Good song though I cant say I ever was a Doobie Bros fan. McDonald had a good voice which is why Fagen and Becker used him on background voicals on several lps including Katy Lied, Royal Scam , and Aja. He was good friends with Becker.
Interesting pieces https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/steely-dan-song-that-defeated-michael-mcdonald/

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the links.

interesting how McDonald couldn’t sing Doctor Wu, because of heavy smoking. Yet he said he could sing high notes like a girl…..lol.

Mr Mojo Risin

Cactus Brew Drinker
Reaction score
Yeah, this is a pretty good track. I'm not much of a Doobie Brothers fan either, but M.M. is a great singer.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.