How Set in Your Ways are You in Regards to Your Music?

Aero

Reaction score
Like some others here, I hate most new music. When the corporate bean counters came around during the 80s and drove out all the music people in the recording industry, things went downhill fast. I think good music died somewhere around 1989 and ever since then, I've had the hardest time liking and even relating to new music.

Being an 80s kid, I love almost every genre from that decade. I can listen to New Wave, Rock, Heavy Metal, Ska, Pop, you name it. Maybe this is tied to my youth, who knows? I also love everything that came before my childhood too including 70s music which is probably the best decade of them all. When I hear the music from that time, I get the sense that these musicians lived for music. It shows in the way they play their instruments and the songwriting, unlike today where creativity suffers and people don't seem to put in the time to master their craft.

I try to give today's music a fair shake but I like very few bands. Not only do I find most bands amateurish, but for some reason, I do not connect with the music. I find today's music lacking creativity, passion, and many other ingredients which make up good songwriting. And because of this, I spend most of my music time digging deep into catalogs from the 70s and 80s trying to find music that I don't hear on the radio. And let me tell you, I've found more gems that way than digging through today's music.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
I try to support new artists, but there is very little originality to be found.

Berserker

Reaction score
I hate new music too. I am more firm with my hates than my loves, they are fickle, music I hate remains the same: Opera, Country, Jazz, R&B, and all top 40 crap can burn. I like Rock, rap, a few other genres but that's 90% of what I listen too. My cutoff for good music is probably the end of the 90's, but that includes rap. Rock really has been in the toilet for a long time. I love Led Zep and The Beatles and Eric Clapton, ZZ Top and Deep Purple, Allman Brothers, CSNY, music that in the words of the late Bill Hicks, "Had a conscience and soul and balls." A good Dio jam makes me feel pumped up enough to smash through the wall like the kool aid guy:

780c2759f4e5795c1d5eb37a0fac44b9_pub.gif

When I hear a sad song like The Beatles Blackbird, it cuts down to my bones. When I listen to any of the garbage on the radio, the only thing I feel from it is annoyed and repulsed.

Listening to Fun. or Ne-Yo or Lada Gaga makes me want to set the speaker on fire, it would be an audible improvement.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Not set in my ways at all. I will listen to just about anything that has a great beat or brings back a fond memory. I will always stand by my belief that variety is never a bad thing. I'll always have my favorites that will be at the top but really that's only 3 or 4 artists who stay there and the rest change all the time. I have tried to stick to one genre before to be "cool" and fit in but it never works. I'll listen to Zeppelin one minute, Jay Z the next and the move onto Coldplay or Tim McGraw and not give a second thought about it. I think that some take the set in your ways thing to the extreme when they go overboard on negative comments but it's starting not to bother me as much as it used to and I'm glad I have a lot of options to listen to. I'd be bored otherwise. :)

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
Every year I'm becoming as far away from being set in any ways as I can. My top preferences will likely always incorporate the same traits but I find there is a state of mind or reason all types of music connects with people and I find myself relating to almost everything in some way or another. In one way or another music is made to be felt and to access that over and over again is better than any drug available.
Exactly how I feel, well said :D

Squidbilly

Tunes from the shed
Reaction score
Can't say that im set in my ways but I am(if that makes any sense) There's only certain tunes that I like by diffrent artists,Lets say fir instance David Bowie,Just because I like Space Oddity/Man who sold the world/John,Im only dancing,Dosen't mean I like every thing he put out,The newer(to me) thrash metal(Stab your mother with a fork)stuff I can't get into,Kid Rock I can't stand,He ruined 2 good tunes for me with that(All summer long) tune:wank:Warren Zevon's Warewolves of london&Skinnerd's Sweet Home Alabama.(edit)[You'll never see me put a tune on here that I don't like myself!!] Ya- I guess im set in my ways,Sorry if I offended anybody:grinthumb:cheers2

Last edited:

Chevelle

Protected Witness
Reaction score
Musically, I am set in my ways to a certain extent. I have always leaned toward hard rock. During the British invasion I found myself moving toward heavier sounding bands like The Yardbirds, Them and The Animals. Then it was The Jeff Beck Group, Led Zep, Sabbath, Amboy Dukes, Jimi Hendrix, Cactus.
In the late 60s and early 70s I drifted into British blues if it had stand out, hot guitar solos. Moving into the mid 70s I got into jazz/rock/fusion which to me was a heavier hard rock form of jazz, sort of.
Then on to metal and some of the 80s hair bands.
I have gotten into some 90s and 2000s bands but they have been the heavier sounding bands like Monster Magnet, Three Days Grace, Chevelle, Down, The Gracious Few, Orange Goblin.
To sum it up, I guess the "set in my ways" is that in every decade I have looked for the heavier, harder sounding bands that really should be played loud.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
I could not be more set in my ways. Hard rock / Classic Rock / Classic Metal. There are a few exceptions, namely Simon & Garfunkle and few others, but the rest of the time, it's one of those 3.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When it comes to bands like Ac/dc and Megadeth and the fact I so often listen to them there is a reason they are my 2 favourite bands of all time. Tired of people assuming I lack variety because those are the 2 most listened to bands. My favourite 2 bands are of course going to be the most listened to. lol

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Like everyone else, I have my steady diet of music that's always been with me and won't ever drop off my own personal charts. All my favorites have been my favorits for decades, with one notable exception.

Anyone here that has read my posts know I'm a huge Avril fan. I've actually gone out and found her stuff, and anticipated new releases. I don't know why her music found it's way in. I only know it makes me feel something, and isn't that the entire point of art? To evoke emotion.

There's Aerosmith, KISS, Uncle Ted, The Coop, The Cars, The Boss, and SRV. And wedged right in there, is Avril. Even if she never released another song, her spot is secure.

She's my biggest pickup in the last 15-20 years, but not my only one.

I really liked Creed alot, but haven't listened to them in quite a while. I went through My Own Prison a couple of months ago, and skipped probably 8 tracks.

Mary Chapin Carpenter was in steady rotation for maybe 5-6 years, but it's been probably that long since I last listened.

Looovvveeedd the Dixie Chicks because they were actually very talented musicians, and I'm a real sucker for harmonies, and they were effortless at it.
When their 4th cd came out, after the whole W. thing, I was really dissappointed with it. Other that 'Not Ready To Make Nice' (which was lyrically brilliant, BTW.), it just sounded like one long monotonous song.

Other than those, I've mostly just picked up songs here and there. I have a handful of Foo Fighters, RHCP, couple of Bush, Staind, etc.

I've never been a fan of rap, though. It's an art form, for sure, but it doesn't qualify as music to me. Poetry is a better suited word for it, I think.

The really versatile person when it comes to music is my daughter. Any given day, from down the hall you can hear Johnny Cash, Usher, Zep, Green Day, Eminem, Brooks and Dunn, some bland pop I don't know the name of, and just about any other thing.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Staff online

Members online